Author Topic: Travel costs  (Read 187 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Travel costs
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
I now have a choices form where I can book my appointment myself to be seen at the spine clinic with a choice of 3 hospitals, all with different minimum waiting times for an appointment. I can't travel to any of them on public transport as though 2 are on bus routes, I am unable to travel on buses due to the extreme spinal pain I get the way the bus turns and swings. I have two friends who would take me if they're not working but they both work shifts and they have no way of choosing a shift, the managing director organises their rota from above for the following month and the only way to get a set day off is to take it as annual leave which I can't expect them to do. The earliest appointments available are in November and my friends won't know their November shifts until the second half of October by which time the earliest appointments available will be December etc and so on so it seems I can't book an appointment knowing I can have a lift.

The closest hospital offering a spine clinic must be 11 miles away and I'd say a taxi must cost around 20 each way at a guess. Can I claim this cost? And if so can I claim it in advance because I can't imagine having 40 available? This is a nightmare. I can't get to the spine clinic because of my damaged spine. Obviously I want to be seen asap as the step after than is the pain clinic and I'd love to be in less pain.

Any advice on travel costs to and from hospitals appreciated. All 3 hospitals are regional cottage hospitals with no cashiers office.

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Travel costs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 06:30:33 AM »
After some searching I have found this page which is useful http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Travelcosts.aspx

And it appears I need to discover if the cottage hospital has a cashiers office, which I doubt. And because I'd need taxis I need to get permission for that first. I could even get the means to pay for it beforehand. It has the possibilities of running smoothly or all falling apart.

And I'm not coping well with life at present.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »
I found getting travel costs from hospitals rather hit and miss.

Have you checked whether you might be eligible for hospital transport rather than a taxi?  It can be a bit tiresome if the've got to pick up others so you can end up waiting around for ages, and you don't get to pick the route, but is worth considering.

I've never worked out why some places offer it and some don't.  I had an ongoing problem in relation to my father.  Some places just took it for granted he'd need hospital transport and seemed surprised if I said we'd take a taxi, yet one clinic refused to provide hospital transport so I had to hire a private ambulance (this was when he was past taxi stage, as it were).

Anyway, if you've already checked out this option, my apologies, and if you haven't, it's worth a look.

Monic1511

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
Fiz
I haven't commented because NHS travel seems to vary depending on the trust etc
I would contact the hospital and ask the options

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
Thank you ladies. I've finally managed to make the earliest appointment possible for the closest cottage hospital with a spinal clinic. I've asked the hospital if they have a cashiers office and they don't but they do have claim back your travel costs forms there to send to my CCG. I've telephoned my CCG and said I'm aware that I need permission to use taxis for travel and I'd like to make that request. Apparently someone will phone me back but they can't guarantee what day that call will be because they are busy. If I don't get the necessary permission I will have to cancel the spinal clinic appointment so it all rests on that.