Author Topic: ESA & UC - gap in my knowledge  (Read 234 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
ESA & UC - gap in my knowledge
« on: October 12, 2017, 12:25:35 PM »
Ok, so here's what I think I understand in relation to people deemed not capable of work:-

Now: if they've paid enough NI, they get CB ESA, if not, they get IR ESA.
If people on ESA find themselves in UC-land, those on IR ESA move to UC, those on CB ESA can stay on it (is that 'legacy ESA'?)

New claimants in UC-land who were never on ESA, who'd previously have been able to claim IR ESA get UC on an IR basis.  But what happens to new claimants in UC-land who'd previously have got CB ESA?  Can they claim 'legacy ESA' (if that's the right term) or is it UC (on an IR basis) or nothing?

I.e. if UC = IR ESA, what happens to new claimants who previously would have claimed CB ESA? Is there a CB UC, do they get some sort of CB ESA, or do they get nowt if they've got savings?

Monic1511

Re: ESA & UC - gap in my knowledge
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
In Full service areas it is very difficult to claim con based benefits, you can only do this if you have no rent liability and therefore don't need housing costs (previously housing benefit)  In full service areas the dwp call UC a work in progress - they are making it up as they go along.
Full service WRO's report that claimants are refused con based esa and forced onto UC.  In theory they should be allowed to claim con based ESA but will not get any additional money like WRAG as its been abolished.  The other thing is that if it is decided you have limited capability for work related activity your claimant commitment can be adjusted but its at the discretion of your work coach.

just looked at a reference book and con based ESA is called New style ESA in full service areas.

Your right about the savings though - if you have savings then UC will disappear.
my biggest bugbear is that there are NO disability premiums on UC

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 08:06:03 PM »
I suddenly have a moment of malice.  I wonder how long before someone on UC who's unwell finds something in their claimant commitment that could, by the way it is phrased, be regarded as some sort of medical or clinical advice, and which causes harm healthwise.  It could be quite fun if they sued, even if the DWP found loopholes to say there was no liability.  Maybe no-win, no-fee solicitors could be set loose on them.  Joy!

I wish I didn't find the whole thing so scary.  Once upon a time, I wouldn't have said that, for fear of upsetting others, but there can be surely few people of the sort that post on forums like this that don't either understand that others feel scared even if they don't, or feel scared themselves, whether a bit or a lot.

Monic1511

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
Every welfare rights officer I know is terrified of their area going live as they know clients will not cope or understand what is happening, what they are meant to do and how they are meant to survive it.
We all know demand and workload is going to go through the roof which just gives us more stress to cope with. All my colleagues are demoralised just now and we could all do 15 hours a day and still have clients, when UC starts it's only going to be worse.

Everyone has to lobby their own MPs and not let up just cos they ignore us. Get the media onside and it's likely to change

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:06 AM »
 >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 05:40:35 PM »
Everyone has to lobby their own MPs and not let up just cos they ignore us. Get the media onside and it's likely to change

>thumbsup< >hugs<

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
To be truthful, what with ESA and PIP and the WCA from the HCP and now with UC coming from the DWP, it's making me think that the whole thing is a can of -

Alphabet Soup
[/font]
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel