Author Topic: Light box reminder  (Read 596 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Light box reminder
« on: September 19, 2016, 12:30:39 AM »
For all ye users of phototherapy, it's that time of year again. Time to dust off and test your light box, and settle into the routine of treatment.

(There is an older light box reminder thread in this part of the board, but I can't find it >blush< )

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Light box reminder
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
Tah for this  >thumbsup<

I am considering buying a light box because the darker nights are messing with my sleep pattern. I end up going to bed at 9pm then keep waking up til about 1am then sleep until the dogs wake me at around 8:30am.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »
I am considering buying a light box because the darker nights are messing with my sleep pattern. I end up going to bed at 9pm then keep waking up til about 1am then sleep until the dogs wake me at around 8:30am.

I've been on the look out for scholarly articles about bright light treatment for disturbed sleep, but haven't found anything aside from articles on serious disorders such as delayed sleep phase syndrome.

This is an article from a light box company, which does at least provide some pointers on how to use bright light therapy to address various sleeping problems. If I find anything more robust, I'll post it in this thread.

http://www.lumie.com/blogs/quick-guides/6302482-light-therapy-for-better-sleep

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:45:52 PM »
Only 4 weeks to go until the winter time change, so if you haven't already done so, it's time to get out your light box and start treatment.  >Sunandclouds<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
I tried one and it didn't help me, mainly because it used to be the case that because of being a scaredy cat I actually slept better in the light (i.e. easier to get off to sleep in bright daylight), but I gave it to a friend who,  like me, has bipolar disorder and she found it wonderful.  When it broke, she bought a new one.  I don't know if she's still using it, but she used one for at least 15 years and was, I believe, pretty stable, which is to say that even if it wasn't helping as she thought it was, it wasn't doing any harm.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 10:30:29 AM »
I always get a nasty downturn in winter, and find a lightbox helpful in combatting that. It keeps my physical energy levels a bit higher than otherwise, which indirectly helps my mood as I'm not constantly castigating myself for being useless if I don't have the energy to for example wash or attend to George.

If anyone is considering a lightbox, but is worried about having to spend money on something that might turn out to be ineffective for them, they can be hired from this company:

http://www.sad-lighthire.co.uk/category/rental-lightboxes/56