Author Topic: ESA decision  (Read 1232 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
ESA decision
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »
..just thought I'd let you all know that I've had my ESA claim re-assessed and I have been moved from the WRAG to the Support Group effective from 14 Dec 2016.  With no face-to-face assessment  >biggrin<

This is hopefully good news for others going through the process because it shows you don't necessarily need a 'medical' to get into the SG  >thumbsup<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: ESA decision
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:24:39 AM »
That's brilliant news, Kizzy!  >magicfairy< >bubbly<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
You mean it's taken them this long to work out how utterly bonkers you are?

I've been in support group from the outset, but I've never known whether to regard it as the outcome of my obsessively long and detailed applications or simply luck.  Maybe a bit of both?  But whichever it was that got you into the SG, well done!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SteveX

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
..just thought I'd let you all know that I've had my ESA claim re-assessed and I have been moved from the WRAG to the Support Group effective from 14 Dec 2016.  With no face-to-face assessment  >biggrin<

This is hopefully good news for others going through the process because it shows you don't necessarily need a 'medical' to get into the SG  >thumbsup<

Wonderful news!!  you must feel so relieved!   >hugs<
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
I'm amazed - that they did not take just one look at you and say 'next'!

Well done you - or commiserations depending upon what mood you are in at the moment.   >hugs<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 09:10:51 PM »
 >tah< lovely peeps - I would say yes, the relief is definitely greater than any 'I'm being written off as useless' thoughts  ;-)

You mean it's taken them this long to work out how utterly bonkers you are?
>lol< well, the enforced hospital stay of last summer must have helped my case somewhat... though it has to be said that, on my very first completion of the ESA form (transfer from IB/IS) I was so careful not to 'over-egg the pudding' that I think I might have gone too far the other way, ie made myself appear more ready to consider work than I actually was  >doh<  Now I just tell it like it is and don't care any more if it appears self-pitying or weak or whatever ... In other words, the 'head demons' that badger me into fronting up and Trying To Be Strong can just go  >raspberry<  >angel<

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:19:47 PM »
Good news is always good to read. 😀

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »

Such good news and about tine  >bighugs<

other words, the 'head demons' that badger me into fronting up and Trying To Be Strong can just go  >raspberry<  >angel<

Exactly  >thumbsup<  >star<

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »
Well done - that must be a relief to you indeed, that you can concentrate on yourself without having to jump through hoops for a while >thumbsup<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »
Good news is always good to read. 😀

Indeed - we'd like as much of it as possible, just so people know that sometimes the DWP system does work as it should  ;-)

Sunshine, I just love the Tigger  >lol<

Sasha, you summed it up very neatly there - no more 'work-focused interviews' at the JobcentrePlus, yippee!   I keep having to look at the decision notice to remind myself... One thing though, it doesn't give an end date, so how long I can enjoy the respite, I do not know!  Oh well, nice while it lasts  >biggrin<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 11:27:51 AM »
One thing though, it doesn't give an end date, so how long I can enjoy the respite, I do not know!  Oh well, nice while it lasts  >biggrin<

Mine was the same so I assumed it would be another 3 years until reassessment. In my opinion ESA was created to get as many people as possible of sickness benefit and that goal has probably been reach so continually reassessing people in the Support Group would not be financially efficient.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
In my opinion ESA was created to get as many people as possible of sickness benefit

I always suspected as much too  >whistle<

..that goal has probably been reach so continually reassessing people in the Support Group would not be financially efficient

Good point!  Well, given that the DLA-to-PIP transfer is also sorted, a three-year break from filling in benefit forms sounds fine and dandy to me  >thumbsup<

neurochick

• Diamond member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »
Hmmm...don't bet on having 3 years before the next one.

I've had to complete 4 ESA50s in 7 years. From the very first one I did I was put into the Support Group without a face to face assessment. The second ESA50 came about 12/14 months after the initial one and the third came about 18 months after the second one.  Then the fourth one came earlier this year.  Each one has resulted in going into the Support Group without being called to a face to face assessment and each form has had answers that are essentially just copies of the previous forms because nothing has improved - if anything it has deteriorated over that time. I don't know what the outcome of the fourth ESA50 claim form will be - it went in at the beginning of April so I'm waiting to hear.  Its a total waste of taxpayers money paying a private sector company to send these forms out to me each time as nothing I have is getting better (and it won't). It costs me a fortune though in photocopying and sending the completed forms by tracked, guaranteed special delivery!!       

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
I spent ages (last year, I think) helping a friend with a ESA claim.  He's been in Support Group for a few years, as he should be. He has an acquired brain injury & his daily functioning is tending to get worse.  When he's especially tense or upset he tends to have more seizures. 

He was in panic from the moment the first letter arrived, phoning me at least once a day until a couple of weeks after the decision letter - got quite hard not to say "stop phoning me, I don't know/ can't do anything right now!" 
I spoke to someone who knew more & could give a few tips, read stuff from B&W site, went through the form making notes (in writing on separate sheets of paper, he has no computer; that took ages & was really painful for him as I was pushing him to say the things he can't really do reliably or to his satisfaction, or never does because they'd be unsafe - had to be done at his home to minimise disruption which confuses & upsets him), made an appointment with CAB to get the form completed using those notes, went to various hospital & GP appts. with him, photocopied letters, collected prescription details, went to CAB appt., photocopied the form, posted to be signed for... then a WCA appt. came, so as he wouldn't have even found the place & no-one else was available I went to that too. 
It was a horrible 3-4 months really, I wasn't at all confident I was doing things right (didn't tell him that though >run<) & he was convinced he was going to lose his income, kept going over the reasons why that must be so. 
When the decision letter came he couldn't make sense of it, he was too wound up.  It was that he's to be in ESA Support Group. 
That's a great relief, but he had months of hell for no reason, >angry< as his brain injury is permanent & tending to worsen due to seizures. 

He probably doesn't know that PIP exists & I'm certainly not telling him.  Soon enough when the letter arrives on his doormat saying his DLA is ending...

I'm not looking forward to my ESA reassessment either, it's been nearly 4 years now.  >yikes<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »
When the decision letter came he couldn't make sense of it, he was too wound up.  It was that he's to be in ESA Support Group. 

I wish the decision letters were not 'written; by a computer program after someone clicked on a bunch of buttons. They could at least say Yuor claim was successful on the first page,

I'm not looking forward to my ESA reassessment either, it's been nearly 4 years now.  >yikes<

>bighugs< It is ridiculous but I am a little scared to say what follows in case it tempts fate but since my initial assessment back around 2010 when I was awarded ESA WRAG I have had two form based assessments both times being put in the ESA Support Group.

Other people who post on Ouch Too had similar experiences and are also now in the ESA Support Group. I was very nice of you to help your friend it sounds stressful especially when you are worried about your own claim.