Author Topic: Recipes and cooking tips.  (Read 282 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Recipes and cooking tips.
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
Mr Sunshine has been diagnosed as pre diabete so we are looking to make his diet healther. At the same time it would be good to have some recipes that are yummy and worth their cost in calories.

I know a lot of us including me find they need help when cooking or baking so even if you cant do either at the moment can you offer tips and recipes.

I pulled a recipe for cereal bars off the internet https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2984673/breakfast-bar and the bars are yummy and 205 claories each so maybe not an everyday thing. Does anyone know how I could reduce the sugar and butter without the bars falling apart?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Recipes and cooking tips.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
You could substitute the same amount of butter for a reduced-fat alternative - for instance, I've used 'Anchor' Light to make a cake with and it's turned out just as good as one made with full-fat butter. 

huhn

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:27:13 PM »
sugar  you can reduce  up to 20 % without problems, then the other thing is replace it with  Honey or carob

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »
Thank you  :-)

I need to look up the ingredients in Anchor Light because I do tend to assume light means sugar or chemicals  >doh<

I am going to try to just reduce the amount of sugar and Golden Syrup by 20, cook them in the pan on the hob for a bit longer to make more sticky. Once added to the oats and in the oven I will bake for longer.

One thing I am pretty rubbish at is knowing when things like this are cooker enough because they are still soft when they come out of the oven. As a kid I was banned from baking because I made too much mess then later I was to disabled to bake regularily so never got the knack of it.

huhn

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:37:24 PM »
I found something else

The Pritikin Diet consists of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and so on, and is high in carbohydrates and roughage. The diet is accompanied by exercise.

G.I. Diet: lowering the glycemic index of one's diet can improve the control of diabetes. This includes avoidance of such foods as potatoes cooked in certain ways and white bread. It instead favors multi-grain and sourdough breads, legumes and whole grains that are converted more slowly to glucose in the bloodstream.

Low Carb Diet: It has been suggested that the removal of carbohydrates from the diet and replacement with fatty foods such as nuts, seeds, meats, fish, oils, eggs, avocados, olives, and vegetables may help reverse diabetes. Fats would become the primary calorie source for the body, and complications due to insulin resistance would be minimized.

High fiber diet: It has been shown that a high fiber diet works better than the diet recommended by the American Diabetes Association in controlling diabetes and may control blood sugar levels with the same efficacy as oral diabetes drugs.

The Paleolithic diet has been shown to improve glucose tolerance in people with diabetes type 2, ischemic heart disease and glucose intolerance, and in healthy pigs.

A low-fat vegan diet improves glycemic control similar to the ADA diet.

The American Diabetes Association has endorsed a natural foods approach to managing diabetes, advocating “fresh is best” and avoiding artificial sweeteners, instead substituting measured amounts of fresh fruit or raw sugar

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
Thank you  :-)

We are trying to go for something like
Low Carb Diet: It has been suggested that the removal of carbohydrates from the diet and replacement with fatty foods such as nuts, seeds, meats, fish, oils, eggs, avocados, olives, and vegetables may help reverse diabetes. Fats would become the primary calorie source for the body, and complications due to insulin resistance would be minimized.

Also because I am not able to cook or bake on my own it meant we were eating more frozen ready meals. Also when we had something home cooked Mr sunshine would have larger portions than usual. We bought some individual food containers and since the new cooker arrived have made several stews and frozen much of it.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
I found out why the cereal bars kept tying to bake were falling apart, I was using rolled oats not porridge oats. To be fair the recipe just said oats  >whistle<

Anyway no more twice baked bars and faffing on.

>biggergrin<

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
Do what I did, just cut out as much sweet food as possible, remove all taste from everything and then just give up on life!
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel