Author Topic: Sailing yachts around the world.  (Read 3663 times)

Prabhakari

Re: Sailing yachts around the world.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
Just altered course to pass between the island of Madagascar and the continent of Africa. The winds look favourable for part of the way, but they could lose strength and direction as Wanderer sails further North.

One thing I am learning, from sailing is the way the land was before the sea levels rose. I can see how Madagascare was longer. I also see old river valleys below the surface. Sailing is not a fast way to travel. For much of the time I am going as fast as my wheelchair does on the roads. I often wished I could go sailing; it was hard to know someone who owned their own yacht, but not to go because I would not be able to cope. At least I understand how to adjust the sails. There is still very much to learn. Knowing what to do is one thing. It is less simple when it comes to understanding why.

This voyage is driven by the prevailing winds. In the Hiscock's first voyage they were invited to visit a friend who lived on a nearby island. They had to pass by because the winds did not allow them to approach the island. It is easy to understand with this sailing sim to show why.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Prabhakari

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 04:04:29 AM »
We have Durban off the port bow at about 290 degrees. The sun has risen; the weather is fair, with a nice wind coming from starboard just now. I have altered course a little to gain more thrust from the wind which is doing around 11 knots just now. Our speed over ground is around 6 knots. It is a large ocean when seen from the deck of a small boat. The horizon at sea-level is 3.9 miles away.

We would seem to be sailing over an open ocean, but we are really sailing up an old channel. Madagascar used to have more land above sea-level. The depth of the channel is about 16300 feet just now.

Prabhakari

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 05:07:07 PM »
The Moon has risen over the Indian Ocean. It is a surprise as the Moon appears much bigger than it has done, in the sim.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »
It is a supermoon tonight, Prab, so the real moon will appear bigger too. That's some sim, to include that level of detail.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Prabhakari

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 07:33:53 AM »
It is daytime off Africa now. We still have the full Moon in the Pacific. It has got smaller.

Sad news with regard to a missing ferry with 88 passengers, from Kiribati. 22 were children on their way to school.

Prabhakari

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
Another day as Wanderer III sails eastward. The yacht is doing just over 6 knots in light winds. The sky is nearly clear with just a few white clouds, and the sea is calm and blue.
It is a day I will spend checking the sails and the equipment.
Whale sighting is likely. We may see dolphins again, weaving across the bow of the boat. Mozart's music is playing.

Prabhakari

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 03:55:08 PM »
The sun is now close to setting in a blaze of golden light on the Eastern Horizon. We are still in deep waters with more than 16000 feet below the keel. The wind is on a bearing of 129 degrees, and it is doing around 9 knots, which is giving us a sailing speed, with the Gennaker of around 5.5 knots. This varies with gusts. so the G.P.S. measures the wind speed but not the gusts so much.

There is always a feeling that one is making progress in a sailing boat, as the water passes under our keel and leaves a white trail astern. The distances are large, though. Even in an aircraft it takes hours traverse the thousands of miles.

So I am always glad of company. The nights are the loneliest as most will be at work or asleep.

So we are on a heading of 89 degrees. Madagascar is probably going to be missed because of the winds. I still hope to see part of India before Australia. It all depends on the forecast.

Being peaceful, Prabhakari. >wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
“For I say there is no other thing that is worse than the sea is for breaking a man, even though he may a very strong one.”
Homer

Prabhakari

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 05:33:02 AM »
We have reached the edge of the shoal which are the undersea part of Madagascar. The Spinnaker is still up, making the most of the stern wind.
We are doing more than 5.5 knots in a light wind.
The local time is 08:17.

Our position is currently :
S31.34
E41.38.

The expanse of the Indian Ocean lies ahead of Wanderer III. It is going to be another hot day. The sea temperature is 22 - 28 C. We have got iced drinks. The area of calm stretches some way past Madagascar, so sailing will be slow for a while. I hope to get stronger winds as we get further east from Africa.

The island of Madagascar and the coast of mainland Africa has an interesting effect on the current direction. It is like water draining down a hole, and it has a clockwise direction as a result.
The winds are also deflected as they approach Madagascar and the airstream is deflected to the south.

This means that it is not easy to sail northward. The easiest option is to follow the wind. Thus avoiding most of the calm area. If I sail straight, then Australia is around 3700 nm. Not a short distance.
Depth is just over 15000 feet now. It will get much shallower, and the surface temperature will get hotter. I hope that the reefs are not bleached because of the heat.

Prabhakari

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
The wind increased in strength during the day. It is now night as we sail eastward towards a full Moon, that lights up the sea. We are now sailing across the part of Madagascar that is beneath the waves, and the depth of water under the keel is now 6888 feet of water.
True wind speed is around 15 knots and the boat is doing around 7 knots.

I stopped at Cape Town to top up my water tanks. As this is a sim, it is not a problem, but it is a problem in real-life. I have often seen ships on our river, by Brush Quay, topping up their water-tanks. They take this water out to the oil-rig platforms. Cape Town is a major harbour, and is the last harbour before crossing the ocean. Real ships will have a problem if the water also dries up at the harbour.

Dipping the Red Ensign to the ship 'Happyness'.   >wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 04:01:10 AM »
About 5000 feet of water under the keel. We are one-third of the way across the shallows. Sun just up off Africa, and the wind is good at around 15 knots. It is going to be another hot day. One has to wear a hat.
Just having a mug of coffee as I sail. I had poppy seed crackers for food yesterday. There is plenty of storage in a 38 foot yacht for food, although most of it is tinned and frozen.
I may have some potatoes and vegetables later on.
I have cereal fruit bars which are sugar-free. A couple of them can be enough for a day.

The sky is mostly cloud just now. I may check the weather forecast for this area. Rain would be nice. I use passageweather.com. It has been very useful for planning ahead. Most use Windy.com in Sailaway. It is a simpler programme to use, with nice animations and some of you will find it easier to understand.

Prabhakari

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
There is rain around, but South Africa stands out because it is devoid of cloud and any rain.
There is some cloud around as we head East, on the horizon. Just now the Moon lights up the Ocean.

It is fascinating to see what is under the waves. The island used to be much larger, with a big spur stretching across our path, and undersea chains of small islands, and the deep-water channel that ran up the East side of Africa, with Madagascar making the outer edge of this channel. If this land was once clear of the water, as it would seem, then the world was a different place once. I wonder if early man was able to cross this channel once. It would have been dangerous.

>wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:56 AM »
3649 nautical miles to Shark Bay, Australia. The crossing will take around a month if I sail straight there.

Prabhakari

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
We are on a new course heading to keep the winds favourable. The A.W.S. is the most important to note. It is the one that effects the sails. So the Apparent wind speed is just over 16 knots. The Apparent Wind Angle is also more important, as compared to the True Wind Angle. At the moment the T.W.A. is 71 degrees. The A.W.A. is 49 degrees, so I have chosen a mean course in order to make progress forward.
Current heading 68 degrees and the distance to Shark Bay is 3279 nautical miles.

The skies are mainly clear just now with some light cloud overhead. The sea is also falrly calm with a gentle swell. The light is starting to go now, so the sea has turned grey in colour. It was blue earlier.
We have got nearly 12000 feet of water under the keel. Our speed over the ground is just over 7 knots, and we have the Genoa and the mainsail raised.

If we stayed on this course and the wind was constant, we would arrive at Australia in around 25.5 days.
Local time is 17:45.

Being peace, Prabhakari.   >wheelchair<

Prabhakari

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »
A nice day for sailing. Doing more than 6 knots; not a racing yacht, but it feels like home. Australia is 3164 nautical miles away, but we are now well into the Western side of the Indian Ocean. As I do not know these waters, I am not able to be certain of the wind, even with comprehensive weather reports.
The reason is that Weather systems move around, so one can seem to be sailing into a storm but it has moved by the time the boat reaches the area, leaving behind calm waters and very light winds.

The Catty Snork reached Pearl Harbour during the early hours of this morning, and we will stay there for a few days. Meanwhile I can continue with my solo sail around the world. I also have the Volkboot to sail across to Holland and the shallow waters there. See Riddle of the Sands for reference.

We dip the red ensign to all other Ouchers who are sailing, Prabhakari.