Author Topic: Snow be careful.  (Read 1119 times)

lankou

• Charter Member
Snow be careful.
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
I have no intention of going outside. My back garden a few minutes ago:-

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Snow be careful.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
I keep getting exciting flurries of snow that stop almost as soon as they've started.  However, I'm getting worried because the top of the neighbour's bin looks damp and there are bits of the lawn where I can't see the green properly.  For a little while this morning, the drive looked white.   All terribly worrying.  However, on reflection I must be hallucinating or something because it says in all the news that the whole of the UK is coated in several feet of snow and we're all going to die or something.  Or was that just the Express? 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 01:46:06 PM »
It's the Express or something! So far here on the south coast there is no snow. I did see (or perhaps imagined) two flakes drifting down on Monday, but nothing since. Its cold but mainly sunny. Not even much frost. Probably kept away by the wind.

That said we are promised a complete white out tomorrow but from the south. Not the 'Beast from the East' more the 'Pounding from Portugal'.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
We've got blizzards ongoing.  Can't see anything further than a few yards out of window.  There's also lightening and thunder.  Scary.  Never seen anything like this before.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
Blizzards plus thunder & lightning?  I'd find that scary, too.

It's not nice if you're in an area where the weather's really bad, my laughter is just at the parts of the media that suggest the whole of the UK's about to be covered in 4 metres of snow.

I'm remembering being a kiddy with ice on the inside of the windows.  I've got water on my windows because they're cold enough to condense the water in the air, but no ice.  I can  remember in my twenties walking through snow high enough to be over the top of my gaiters, so above the knees.  I can also remember living in London a year when it went down to -16.  But now I've got a bit of condensation, my lawn's getting a token amount of white, and I've turned into a wimp. 

Meanwhile, in other parts of the country (like those where some of you here live) it's getting nasty and lots of people are being very brave about it. 

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 04:48:16 PM »
It's a rare phenomenon called thunder snow.  The lightening was much brighter, as it was flashing through the blizzards.  I don't hear thunder, but, saw the flashing.  We didn't know what is was until the thunder started.  Quite scary.  The blizzards are still ongoing.  If it keeps this up, we will be snowed in tomorrow.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »
Ugh.

>chocolate< >chocolate< (some extra rations)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:56:31 PM »
Lankou, that's an impressive covering of the white stuff you have there...

Hope your weather calms down soon, Ally, not sure I'd like 'thundersnow' overmuch!

Here in Somerset, we had a very light dusting last night after a brief shower - to my surprise, it stayed there until about 10 am, when the morning sun melted it.  Tomorrow and Friday's forecasts keep changing from 'light snow' to 'heavy snow' - I'll just believe what I see when looking out the window! 

Undisputable fact though, it remains bitterly cold - and Sunny, I remember waking up to ice on the inside of a bedroom window too, but it wasn't in my own home.  It was in maternal grandparents' old terraced house which had no central heating.  Sheesh, the nights were chilly there... we are very lucky in this day and age (if we live in properties with proper working CH). 

Britain does seem to grind to a halt with relatively light snowfall though;  I mean, how does Russia cope!!

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 05:37:07 PM »
Thanks for the provisions.  I think we will be housebound until the weather abates.  We have plenty of food.  I've got candles in place just in case, and, a torch.  I'm not taking any chances.  I knew it would snow.  Stupidly, I didn't expect it to be so bad.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 08:10:03 PM »
I'm running low on meds (which is unusual for me, but I got so depressed and dysfunctional, I kept forgetting to send off my scrip request until the last minute).  But I want to visit an ill friend tomorrow, so it's best if I pop into the late night chemist this evening.  Normally, it'd take less than half an hour to walk there, and having just been out in the garden to put some food out for the birds, I know the snow's not deep, but...    I looked at the weather reports and apparently it's -7 outside.  Eek! 

I wouldn't mind but I've put weight on and my coat won't button up.  I'm not physically poorly in a way that would make this a health hazard, and whilst I'm prone to going, erm, prone  >lol< I'm not actually at greater risk of it in the snow and would obviously have a softer landing.

Nope, the big problem I have here is that my biggest impairment is evidently wimpdom.  But don't let the politicians find out or they'll say all the rest of my impairments are imaginary or something and take all my money away.   >crying<

SteveX

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
When I got up this morning the snow was 3 inches deep but by 11am it had 99% gone, that's one good thing with living so close to the sea, snow almost never sticks and the salt air removes it really quickly.
Member of POMMAS

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
Kk, Russia copes because it expects bitter cold and snow every year for prolonged periods. This is not the case for most of the UK. Preparation is cost effective for Russia but not for the UK.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
By some miracle, I survived my trip out of the house.  I was nearly knocked over by one of the local aggressive beggars, but otherwise it went well.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 08:35:00 AM »
Lankou, that's an impressive covering of the white stuff you have there...

That was just the start far worse coming later.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 09:18:03 AM »
Kk, Russia copes because it expects bitter cold and snow every year for prolonged periods. This is not the case for most of the UK. Preparation is cost effective for Russia but not for the UK.

Yes, that makes sense!

Well, here in Somerset we've had our snow warning upgraded to 'red alert' status as we expect 'Storm Emma' - hatches battened down...