Author Topic: Repeatedly and reliably?  (Read 1383 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Repeatedly and reliably?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »
Yes monic, although I rarely leave the house due to pain. I can't honestly say I can't walk 20 metres. I get up in the morning and go downstairs, feed and let the dog out while taking medication in the kitchen and making a mug of tea. Then the dog is let in and I take my mug of tea to bed so I must have walked 20 metres doing that. I do combine journeys, if I'm hungry I wait until I need the loo to do two things in one journey. All I know is I can't get myself anywhere from my house so I'm housebound. If I'm being picked up to go somewhere (rare, there's only one person who has done that and she's struggling at the moment) I take strong pain killers before I go and take 2 types of opioids with me and diazepam wherever I go in case I get "stuck" by pain or anxiety but I'm hearing less and less from that person which I can't blame her for. She's been my only practical help I've had and she has her own MH problems and works 32 hours a week in shifts so she has enough on her plate already. I think due to the shift work, she needs to cut her hours or she will crash and hit crisis.

My GP feels I meet the criteria for enhanced mobility so we'll see.

I can't help it but my mind goes to the difference a car would make. I could take my dog somewhere and let her out of the car for a run around and I could sit and watch her. My daughter had her when I was in hospital at the end of last year and she was walked daily with her but I haven't been able to take her anywhere for a couple of years. I just can't walk. And if she ran after an interesting dog/ball/smell and doesn't come back, what do I do? It doesn't bare thinking about. I can't get into a car without neuropathic pain so I've been looking at the additional cost of adding a swivel seat to a mobility car. There are electrical versions I couldn't afford or manual swivel seats that might be possible in a few months. I have no idea how you manually make the seat swivel from front facing to facing out of the side door without effort that might trigger my back. Then I try and slow down and tell myself it will be a miracle to be awarded enhanced mobility so the chances of ever having a car and any freedom is exceptionally low so I must stop thinking of the difference a car would make to my life. It will just make any negative answer a million times worse.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »

I didn't use any boxes for further information.  I typed everything onto a word document. I then attached that to the form.   As well as using the medical evidence i had,  proving why I fitted the various criteria.   I also used my own personal experience.  One example was when I was mobile.   I was left on a train by myself.  The lights were switched off, and it took off to the depot with me on it.  I had no idea the tannoy had told everyone to disembark at the last station.  I used something similar to that for the planning and following a journey descriptor.  I'm sure you'll have an example of your own experience of psychological distress that you can put on the form.  However,   Monic may think otherwise, and, as  she's more experienced.  I'd take her advice first.

I really hope you're successful. At times  I've been concerned about you, and, others on the forum.  You all deserve so much better.  Good luck  >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
Thank you Ally. I don't own a computer or laptop and I discovered last week that the town's library has been closed a while now as it's being refurbished, things you have no idea about if you don't go out, so I can't even borrow a library computer. I can't write a lot at once as I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands and wrists so I will probably complete the form 2 pages at a time. I hadn't thought about real life experiences. I've got scars to prove my distress but I can't really show the assessor those but I maybe my CPN could mention them, not that she's ever seen them. I didn't think to ask my GP to mention them either.

I don't go to places because of the distress. My one friend who has helped me in the past has offered to pick me up and get me to church as I have no car but I'd have no way of leaving when I panic with no way of getting home and I can't ask someone to whom church is important to forgo it in order to get me home so despite church being an important part of my life, I've not attended since 2016. I think your example demonstrates clearly the difficulties you have but I'm not sure I have anything as clear cut. I avoid the distress so don't do things because I'm not able to manage the distress without harm. I've no evidence without photos which I'd not want anyone to see that that's true. So I guess in the end it's down to whether they believe what I say.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 07:02:07 PM »

The below is an uptake of going out, or, Planning and following a journey. You need to show why you suffer from social anxiety leaving the house, and, the things, such as overwhelming psychological distress that stops you doing this.  Do you need prompting to leave the house?   Monic made a good Start a few posts down.

Undertaking a Journey - this is do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria. The higher points for (e) require that you cannot undertake any journey, if you can go out with the support of someone else then you won't score. 

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route.  It's for those who have problems cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent them from doing this.  From what I've gleaned, This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact if you cannot undertake any journey then you will struggle to score points for following one.  I used my sensory disability.  The fact that I can't ask directions, and, used a personal experience I'd had in the past.  You may suffer from acute anxiety, or, a panic attack being in a situation where you have to speak  to male bus drivers, or, strangers to ask directions etc?

I'm sure you'll score something for the moving around section.  You need 12 points for the enhanced mobility rate.  it's difficult to score 12 on moving around, as Monic has pointed out the criteria was changed to 20 m.  Therefore, you need to aim at scoring as much as possible on both moving around, and, going out.  Whatever you put on the pip form should remain confidential.  Therefore. I'd put as much  information as I could on the form.  The only way they're going to know how bad your MH is, by you telling them. 

The way I look at it.  You want EM to stop you becoming isolated.  The isolation makes your MH worse.  Therefore, you really need to give yourself the best possible chance to improve your situation .  I know you're anxious about it.  It shows in your posts.  However, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  You can but try.   >x-fingers<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 08:14:06 AM »
Thank you Ally, you're really understanding. My CPN is due here this morning so it will be the first time I will look at the form itself but we'll spend the time on the mobility and getting out and about section I'm sure. I'm having a really stressful week this week, next week should be calmer but I need to thinking about sending it off at the end of next week or the Monday after the weekend. If I can get it to a post office somehow, as I shall want to send it signed for. That's a problem to think about later.

I am virtually not sleeping and I'm considering asking for ECT. I talked about it when I was in hospital as I was just as unwell when discharged and the consultant said psychotherapy was what was I needed and you can't have psychology alongside ECT as ECT affects short term memory so you wouldn't remember the psychology you are learning. Almost 4 months since being discharged and I'm still on the waiting list for psychology.  If I'd had a course of ECT 4 months ago maybe life wouldn't be such a daily struggle now. I suspect though that they think I'd be needing a monthly maintenance ECT to keep the affects up but that might not be the case, who knows. Life is just such a struggle.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:55 AM »
My CPN has postponed until Saturday. She says she'll bring her evidence letter to me then. Also she tells me that I am due to meet the Psychologist mid April so ECT is out of the question now. Even this change is stressful. I don't cope with stress.

Monic1511

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »
 >bighugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »
CPN was here this morning and we kind of discussed what would be useful to say in her evidence letter and that's what we spent most time on oh and I asked her to say I need a home visit for the face to face. Then she went and I made a start on the actual form. I've a copy of my 2 year old form and I thought I'd be basically writing in what was on my previous care section but actually it made me realise quite a few things are either more difficult or no longer possible due to pain and the depressive lows being more frequent and lasting longer has made things harder or impossible and I hadn't really realised that so there was more to say and I've used a good chunk of the area left for extra information already where I didn't use that area last time at all. I've reached the end of the care section but my back pain was bad so I've taken morphine plus the neuropathic pain has triggered my bladder with the usual consequences and I find that is emotionally distressing as I do the pain. Then I feel guilty because many people have had to manage urinary incontinence for either many years or most of or all of their lives and I'm just a self pitying heap who's only had to experience it for 12-18 months so I need to get hold of myself and realise how well off I am physically compared to so many other people.

Having taken max dose of morphine I've decided to leave the mobility section for another day, as well as photocopying any evidence to go with the form and the whole application form once it's finished. In one way I just want it done but I'm fuzzy headed on painkillers so it would be stupid plus I have actually achieved a big chunk of the form already today. I am so knackered and all I've done is see my CPN and make a start on the PIP form.

Monic1511

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »
 >bighugs< It does take it out of you doing theses forms  >thumbsup<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »
I haven't managed any more of the form yet as I've been in too much pain. But I'm hoping to complete the actual form tomorrow leaving only the evidence to gather. It occurred to that photocopying the front and back of both my blue badge and my registered disabled card might be good evidence. Who knows

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 10:34:52 PM »
 >bighugs<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »
I had a letter from the DWP today saying that they haven't received my PIP change of circumstances form and that my current payment will stop if they don't receive my form by the set date they will cease any further PIP payments. I was 99% sure this letter crossed post with my form arriving there even though this new letter is dated 2 days after my form arrived there but I phoned to check it had arrived. I sent it special delivery and online it said it arrived there but I still needed to reassure myself it was in the system. It is.

The recorded message I listened to before joining the phone queue with that dreadful music was that on average it takes 4 weeks from them receiving my change of circumstances form before I hear anything else. I asked about that and the lady explained the difference between either a brand new PIP claim or a DLA-PIP transfer than the change of circumstances process even though the forms sent out are the same.

New PIP claims are received by the DWP and are immediately sent to the consultation company who decide whether or not a face to face consultation is needed, it's rare that it's not. That company decides whether to grant any concessions asked for in order for the consultation to happen.  Then they send out an appointment date, they complete the consultation and they send the DWP the results of that and the DWP decide whether to or what to award if at all.

With my reconsideration, my form is received by the DWP and first of all it is sent to a DWP decision maker who looks at the form and evidence and decides whether they have all the information they need to make an award or whether a consultation is needed. If they decide I need a new consultation then they then send my form and evidence to the consultation firm and they decide what concessions they feel are needed and it carries on from there like a new claim.

Because a change of circumstances form goes to a DWP decision maker first and then they decide whether a consultation is needed, if they decide it is rather than it being 4 weeks on average to hear about a consultation date, it would be 6 weeks on average for a reconsideration form to be informed of any consultant appointment because it takes an extra 2 weeks as it's been to a DWP decision maker first. So I make that 10th of May approximately before I will hear about my face to face consultation appointment. Seems like forever. It was useful to be told the process and time scales though.

I wonder how many change of circumstances forms have a decision made by the DWP decision maker and not need to be sent on for a consultation. Very very few I would imagine.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
I just know that my application and request for reconsideration and further info etc. seemed to be sent round in circles, so as I see it, so long as you've got the evidence (which you have) that you sent the paperwork in, then unless you're in financial crisis, accept the fact that you can't rely on when you'll get a decision.

I say that as someone who gets very angsty about these things, so this isn't someone who's just calm not seeing that it's stressful, just saying that if it takes longer it doesn't necessarily mean the worst.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
Im not expecting anything in particular time wise and she did say the average wait for a consultation letter offering an appointment is 6 weeks so I realise it can vary hugely before or after that average. Ive never gone through the process of requesting a reconsideration but from the people who have been through that the timescale for that process is usually a long one. Probably a far larger number request a reconsideration of a decision than the amount of people who come forward with a change of circumstances. Even though ive sent good evidence im still expecting the decision maker to refer me on for a face to face consultation despite it not always needed with a change of circumstances so im expecting it to be ages before a decision to be made. By the sounds of it a change of circumstances often takes longer than a new claim because the form and evidence goes to a decision maker before and after the Consultation so it's a longer process for me.

Monic1511

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
Fiz
well done first for phoning them when you got that letter, now you know the timescale hopefully you can try and shelve the stress for a wee while.
Monic