Author Topic: US Gun control  (Read 288 times)

JLR2

US Gun control
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »
Just  thought which occurred to me earlier this morning.

Supposing the Whitehouse really wanted to crack down on US gun ownership without losing the support of the NRA (National Rifle Association)  or being seen to remove the constitutional right to bear Arms enjoyed by all Americans, what could they do?

Well one idea, the one that occurred to me earlier, is to introduce seriously high taxes on guns and ammunition, a bit like the sugar tax being introduced here, and over time increasing these taxes on weapons to the point that buying a gun is so expensive fewer people buy them. Sure they'd still have their right to buy and own a gun but what would they rather spend their money on a new car or a gun?

I've to work out now just why my idea or thought is such a non-starter >erm<

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: US Gun control
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:12:05 AM »
Actually, I think there's a lot of common sense in your musings there...Probably too sensible to be taken up by the US government  >whistle<

JLR2

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »
Thanks again Kizzy, just another wee thought to add to my earlier posting suppose the US government were to announce an annual licence (and fee)  to hold/own a firearm?  One that would be subject to a health assessment including the would be licence holders mental health. If it were thought about by the likes of Trump and pointed out to him just how much an annual gun ownership licence fee could bring into the US government's coffers maybe he'd take the idea up.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:23:01 AM »
One thing I rather liked was a video I saw on Youtube where some people set up a gun shop somewhere in America, where each gun was labelled with its history. They managed to acquire lots of 'undesirable' guns.  (I'm now itching to type 'firearm' because to me a 'gun' is something like a cannon or, if so-described, something like a machine gun.)

Anyway, when people went in to buy one, they'd point at one on display and ask to see it and the counter assistant would take it down and look at the label and say "Ah, yes, this one was used by a seven-year old to shoot her dog and elder brother." or "This is a good one: it was used to mow down five people in a robbery." etc.  The reactions were brilliant and the people leaving that were willing to be interviewed on camera said it changed their attitudes.

So what about a law that gun shops can only sell firearms with a history attached, and that it's illegal to sell a weapon (firearm or other weapon) that's been used to kill or maim or scare someone without labelling it as such?

Even if people still bought the weapons, maybe it would spread more awareness?

Also, what about some sort of equivalent of a driving licence?  I don't know what they have to do now, but is there any sort of proper test?  There should be.  How to use it, how to keep it safe etc.  I don't know about America, but in the UK, you don't get to drive a car without learning a lot about safety.  In terms of driving over here, it doesn't stop the young lads who  race around to show off, but they're only a proportion and I bet it makes a difference to many others. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)