Author Topic: Social needs assessment  (Read 514 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Social needs assessment
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 06:26:07 PM »
One thing that bugs me is that there seems to be no voluntary scheme either where I live or where you live to match obsessive compulsive people like me up with people like you.  My OCPD manifests in part in an oscillation between an urge to hoard and an urge to clear out.  It's an urge to 'have the right amount' of stuff.  I panic if I don't have enough and panic if I've too much.

But I've worked in lots of jobs involving clearing, sorting, weeding, organising etc., whether that's filing or  storage or whatever.  I've done tidying and sorting swaps with people, each doing what we were good at in each other's places.

There must be loads of people like me and loads of people like you.  What a pity there's no 'dating agency' as it were for people with the urge to sort and tidy and weed, and people who need help of that sort.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
I don't see why the support worker wouldn't be amenable to giving you some assistance in a bedroom blitz - after all, you could point out (and I've found this to be very true) that, while there are significant cleaning/sorting household jobs outstanding, this in itself can add to anxiety about going out... because (maybe even on a subconscious level) you feel that you should be indoors cracking on with said chores!!  Once they're done, this could well 'release' you into a frame of mind where leaving the house becomes a more appealing prospect.  If the support worker knows her onions, she will be aware of all this herself anyway, so do talk to her about your concerns around the bedroom and anything else that's keeping you 'stuck'...

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
Yes I think I will ask her when I meet her. At worst, the answer will be no, so we do something else.  >thumbsup<

Sunny, I've wished before that you lived closer so we could meet up! Not in any way for chores but often you get my thinking which I often struggle to do myself.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
We've got things in common, just as each of us has things in common with others here.

Whether you start out with mental problems or you start out with  physical problems, you can end up with the other as well.  Physical problems and obstacles can be mentally stressful; mental problems can lead directly or indirectly to physical problems.

I suspect that you and I have more in common in relation to some things than either of us would express explicitly, but actually that doesn't matter.  What matters is that each of us understands what it is to find some seemingly every day normal stuff variously impossible or frightening or terribly difficult or distressing or whatever.

For example, you, like others here and unlike quite a few people I meet in non-disability circles, understand that for me the main obstacle to going out as someone who has frequent falls isn't so much the fear of injury (although I do get injured) but the fear of people's responses.  Lots of people not in this situation would assume that it's a fear of being injured.  And it's that interplay between different problems that we Ouchers all understand, all relate to. 

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
Fiz, don't I remember that the social worker once came out and helped you sort out your bedroom?  Maybe she can do it again.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 08:39:22 AM »
My very first care coordinator at the community mental health team was a social worker and an AMHP and yes she spent a couple of hours here helping me once several years back. She was a brilliant care coordinator and I know I made the most progress under her care. Unfortunately adult services have since withdrawn their staff from working in the same teams as the NHS so there are no social workers working as care coordinators any longer and there are none at the CMHT at all. The only social workers left working in the field of mental health are the qualified AMHP's who work in a central hub in the health authority and all they now do is coordinate and assess people under the Mental Health Act to decide whether a patient should be detained.

Possibly the support worker may help me, it depends on what their remit is. With my care coordinator off sick yet again this week,  even if I get to see her next week on one of her 3 work days, one half of which is the compulsory weekly team meeting,  that'll be over a month since my previous contact with her and that contact was a lift to and from my visit to see the psychologist at CMHT. Even my GP has now realised that my current care coordinator is not going to be a support to me due to the few hours a week she works, her workload and her sickness record. It's my care coordinator's role to organise the support worker to help me so I've no idea when that will happen.