Author Topic: Refused home visit requested  (Read 1848 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Refused home visit requested
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »
According to the man on the telephone, the assessment could arrive from tomorrow onwards although we've had a bank holiday in the middle. But I'm definitely watching out for the postman now and eyeing up the colour and size of envelopes as I approach the mail.

I'm actually scared at how I will cope if the news isn't good. I was determined not to start thinking about how having transport could change my life to lessen any disappointment but it's happened anyway. First I couldn't imagine leaving the house at all because being housebound has increased my social anxiety but did wonder if having a car on the drive would make me feel less trapped, isolated and lonely even if I didn't use it. Then shortly afterwards I could imagine going to pick up my medication myself in a car, as the chemist who dispenses my medication almost every week leaves things behind or they're out of stock so they order it but when it arrives they just stock their shelves/drawers and don't even think that someone might actually want that item and they've the prescription unfulfilled so I could sort out those problems myself if I could get there. Then I thought I could take the dog into the forest taking a camping chair so I could sit near the car park while my dog could get some exercise and quality of life.  I've not got further than that, I can't imagine going to meet people or do anything social at all but even what I've imagined is a massive improvement of living in my bed day and night and seeing no one but my CPN every few weeks.

I've a nasty wound infection currently. I requested a call back from a female GP on Tuesday and given my symptoms she came straight out and confirmed the infection and said I'd need to start antibiotics immediately but I explained that I can't get to a chemist so she'd need to send my prescription through to the chemist electronically and the chemist would send it out the next day, my delivery is usually the first half of the afternoon. She was concerned about the delay and gave me a short list of extra symptoms to look out for and should one of them appear I must call 999 for an ambulance. That delay in getting necessary medication is something having transport could sort.

So worryingly I know how much a car could transform my life not just by being able to leave my house but it would keep me safer because I could access the medical treatment I'd need immediately. So being turned down would feel terrible to me and I don't manage disappointed well.

So, anytime from tomorrow and a week after that I should have the assessor's report. The days are going to go by very very slowly.

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »
The waiting is terrible isnít it. I found it bad enough and I wasnít even the claimant. (Although I would have been directly affected as a carer)

It is good that your doctor is aware of how extremely limited your life is though as if the decision does turn out to be wrong it does provide a good illustration of the dangerous position you were put in by your current situation. All useful ammunition for appeal.

However, remember that many people do get the correct decision, my son and daughter did so you could too. If it isnít then everybody here will offer support for the next part of the battle. I hope you get the letter soon so that the torture of waiting and jumping every time the postman comes is over.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2018, 10:28:33 AM »
Think of this - you've read what others here have written about benefits applications, assessments, decisisions etc. including for PIP.  Remind yourself that you're not alone in feeling like this.  It's normal. 

>bighugs<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
Yes, so many of us have been through this nightmare so we all can truly empathise with each other.

Yes gorbut, the waiting is hard. Today was the first day the report could have arrived by the days range I was told on the phone though factoring in the bank holiday the result should arrive from Monday to Saturday inclusive. I'm away with my daughter Tuesday to Thursday. Hopefully the post will come on Tuesday before we leave and we'll be back about the time that the post arrives on Thursday so I'm really only missing one day. We're going to a retreat, me trying to get my daughter to relax but if the answer hasn't arrived by the time we leave it'll definitely be in my mind while I'm away. Not that there's anything I can do about the decision in the 2 days I'm away.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »
I've been away since Tuesday lunchtime and have arrived home to the assessors report. It didn't tell me how many points I'd scored or what award I've been given but it did have assessors answer to each question in her opinion and underneath each, the reason why she gave that answer. So I noted down all her answers and then did the B&W online PIP test choosing the answers she'd chosen and the end result is 18 points for Daily Living and 12 for mobility.

My anxiety is incredibly high because I can't quite believe it, I almost need the DWP letter stating the award before I will believe it. But I know that it's very rare that the DWP don't accept the assessor's opinion and I can see why as each answer she gave was evidenced underneath each answer.

So, it looks like I will be able to get a car! I will be able to leave the house! I can't quite believe it and I don't know what to do with myself. I'm going to take diazepam to calm down my anxiety which sounds completely ridiculous. My daughter knows but I've asked her not to tell anyone. I'm just going to tell people I'm leasing a car and say nothing about any benefit. Too worried about being spotted going from my car into the chemist without limping and getting reported. I don't have a deposit which limits which cars I can choose from but am I right in thinking that my award will be from the day that I phoned the DWP to request a change of circumstances form? If so, then I will have that back payment available as a deposit and I didn't think to note down the date that I made that call.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
..the end result is 18 points for Daily Living and 12 for mobility

And so it jolly well should be - brilliant result  >thumbsup<

My anxiety is incredibly high because I can't quite believe it, I almost need the DWP letter stating the award before I will believe it.

Well, that's not surprising given all the bad news we normally anticipate for PIP assessments!  The letter can't be too far away now, anyway...

So, it looks like I will be able to get a car! I will be able to leave the house!

That will be just.... ace, a great life-changer for you  :-)

I can't quite believe it and I don't know what to do with myself. I'm going to take diazepam to calm down my anxiety which sounds completely ridiculous.

Not 'ridiculous', just part of the roller-coaster ride which is applying for a significant benefit these days, so I won't say "Chill out, love"  ;-)   Well done, Fiz!

bub1

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »
Thatís brilliant news Fiz.
I am so pleased for you.
Confirmation letter wonít be long now.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2018, 06:18:53 AM »
Thank you Kizzy and bub  >star<