Author Topic: Disability and gaming  (Read 122 times)

Prabhakari

Disability and gaming
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
This is very good news, just reported in The Guardian.

https://tinyurl.com/ycl7gg6l
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Disability and gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:44:45 AM »
I'm not into gaming as such, but I can see from the outside, as it were, that it can provide anything from a bit of bit of pleasure and enjoyable social contact to a crucial link with the outside world for isolated people.  I mentally map it onto the places I go online to 'play' with words, like  messageboards, skype messaging etc., although I stress that as a non-gamer I'm aware that that's probably only an approximate analogy in terms of function in a person's life.

So anything that makes it more accessible is surely a good thing.  I hope that if you need any of this equipment, or if any of this would make gaming easier for you, you can afford it.

Btw. I'm glad I read this rather than on another site you and I post on, where doubtless someone would come along with snide comments about people who aren't really disabled being given what's obviously too much money by decent, hardworking taxpayers if they can afford to play games... 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Prabhakari

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:27:22 AM »
With regard to the other site, I know what you mean. It has changed completely in five years. I used to feel at home there. Not now.

As for gaming, there is more than that. I have been able to desigm rockets for space travel; I have flown in many  places; I can explore our galaxy. I have had a go at lorry driving round Europe. I can operate boats with various ship sims, such as being able to explore Gibraltar Harbour.I have made many friends on the way. My .life has been richer because of the computer, and it is true for all the disabled people I meet.
It is why I am writing about sailing here. The sailing sim is evolving all the time. Soon we shall have a world editor, and people will be able to transform the land.

I wish I could still do 3D modeling. I would love to build the harbour where I am.

Be peace, Prabhakari.   >wheelchair<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
That all sounds amazing to me.  I don't mean amazing as in 'I don't believe it', I mean amazing as in 'that's wonderful'. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »
Wow good for Microsoft. It would be great if all the manufacturers, PS4, Xbox etc made a separate adapter so that disabled people could enjoy the game and play along with able bodied alike. My sons and their friends play PS4 games together while they're hundreds of miles apart. I was thinking yesterday how far and fast technology has come in such a short period of time. There was a meme on Facebook I saw this week that said "You remember when we used to type brb? We don't do that any more, we live here" and it's so true! I remember the brb days.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:31:09 PM »
There was an item about this on BBC Breakfast this morning. I was impressed by the number of inputs which should allow users to add various buttons and controls they need to aid their dexterity. It has been designed to be compatible with devises already available so they may be able to use items they already have.

The price does not seem to be excessive given its scope. It is good to see a large corporation trying to properly address the needs of disabled people.

SteveX

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
I used to be an Xbox gamer back in the 360 days, however after the utter fiasco of Microsofts E3 announcements in 2013 I swore never to buy another Xbox console (and didn't, I use a PS4 these days)

but I welcome this!  The more disabled that can get into gaming the better!  Hope the price isn't astronomical.
Member of POMMAS