Author Topic: The DWP nightmare  (Read 389 times)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: The DWP nightmare
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 10:09:30 PM »
Hi Fiz

unfortunately the mum has shown the tribunal decision to the wrong person, the face to face assessor doesn't need to see the tribunal decision, the dwp decision maker should have seen it which is why I said send a copy with the form or with the MR but we are way past that now.

You look after yourself though

Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 05:56:24 AM »
Oh, I will tell her when I see her rather than text her again as there is no rush. She knows to take it to tribunal now at least. She's dropped her full time hours to part time hours to do a set amount of hours with her son who's moved back home since the tumour diagnosis. He had been living with his fiancÚ and she's moved in with them too. I don't know if the fiancÚ has stopped working or reduced her hours and I'm unsure if she might be able to claim carer's allowance as he can never be left, but I guess that is all down to a PIP decision. I really don't know how someone who's illness means they can never be alone cannot qualify for PIP. I find it amazing.

But your answer above has given me a little hope. It means the decision makes does look at evidence provided and not just the assessor's report before making a decision. My assessor asked me no questions regarding how my mental health affects me going out and about and so I've been worrying that I won't get the extra points that I know I'm entitled to but that had all been evidenced in professionals letters as well as fully on my application form so hopefully then that will be taken into account even though the assessor didn't talk about it.

I've decided I'll apply for mandatory reconsideration if I don't get the award I know that I'm entitled to, the evidence is all there. But if the decision remains unchanged then I'll not go on to the tribunal stage. I can't cope with it.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
But if the decision remains unchanged then I'll not go on to the tribunal stage. I can't cope with it.

I feel so incredibly angry that the system is such that people (not just you) feel that way.  The removal of legal aid for almost all welfare cases was utterly disgusting, and whilst again and again people that have been to tribunal say that it's ok and that it's far less intimidating than dealing with the DWP, it can still feel just that bit too much for a particular individual. 

I want to say "No! You must go to tribunal if you don't win on reconsideration!"  But if that wasn't a major hurdle for you, you wouldn't be claiming the blasted benefits in the first place.  It's just like the cases highlighted by Frances Ryan in the Guardian recently about people who couldn't physically get into unadapted assessment centres. 

So obviously I hope that  you get what you're entitled to and that if not, you get it on reconsideration.  I'd like to think you'd stick it out to tribunal if that's what it takes, not least because I think you express yourself clearly here, but I don't think there'd be a single Oucher here (including me) that would condemn you rather than the government if you felt you couldn't face it.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)