Author Topic: Sailing  (Read 149 times)

Prabhakari

Sailing
« on: May 28, 2018, 12:35:39 AM »
This brief Utube link might be of some small interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-y1T2uZnVA
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Sailing
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:05:19 AM »
I think with increasing numbers of Sailability centres more and more sailors with disabilities will join "mainstream" sailing teams because they can become expert sailors through Sailability. Do you have Sailability near you Prab? I know one of the people who set up the closest club to me and she runs one of the days it's open.

Prabhakari

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
It would not help now. Perhaps in the next rebirth.... I might even be born without my current multiple disabilities.

We have been lucky to have such wonderful simulations. I will carry on while I can. Eyesight is problem.

With metta, Prabhakari.  >wheelchair<
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
There is a Sailability centre in Poole and they offer the VI group I volunteer for a couple of outings each season.

We had a great morning a month or so ago with sun and a modest breeze making it ideal sailing weather for novices.

Over the years quite a few of our members have become regular sailors with them. Some have 'progressed' to crewing tall ships and one competes in a local yacht club.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:47 AM »
Yes the Sailability where an acquaintance helps, is for people of all disabilities however severe. The boats and jetties have all the equipment needed for everyone. Definitely worth having a go prab if there is a Sailability centre near you and you'd like to sail, maybe talk to them first about your needs. You won't be off around the world, but around a lake is still fun and there are Sailability centres that sail out of harbours to sea.