Author Topic: Charities/funds, discount schemes etc. - a reminder  (Read 29 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Charities/funds, discount schemes etc. - a reminder
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:00 PM »
In the UK there are about 170,000 charities.  As will be obvious from that statistic, the majority aren't big-name charities.  If you're struggling, at least consider approaching some.  For all that we should get what we need as a matter of entitlement, if we can't, it's a question of getting what we can where we can.

Also take on board that a charity is a type of trust fund, i.e. A ('donor') gives money to B ('trustee') for the benefit of C ('beneficiary').  What distinguishes a charity from other trusts is simply that if its aims (what the trustee is obliged by the terms of the trust) are on a particular list laid down in law, it can call itself a charity and get certain tax concessions.  There are trusts that aren't charitable but still help people.

With the death of my parents, I'm going to inherit enough not to have to worry, but if that weren't so, I wouldn't feel shame at asking for help (although I'd feel angry at the government for prioritising rich people and corporations).

You can search on various websites.  You can also ask around locally.  Often a charity has a particular focus that may seem narrower or different in nature from the well-known charities, but also the well-known ones may do things you're not aware of.  There are also organisations, mostly commercial, that offer discounts which  may reduce things like your shopping bills. For example, consider charities and schemes relating to:-

- Your conditions/disabilities
- Types of equipment you need
- Where you live (even as small an area as a particular village)
- Your career/trade or that of relatives (not just your main career)
- Former employers (check out the trust funds & charities attached to them)
- Groups & organisations you may have previously belonged to
- Your age group
- Your family role/status (e.g. parent)
- Your religious/spiritual affiliations

Finally and crudely, there are charities that some organisations, including commercial companies, have that are primarily a win-win tax concession and PR thing and that are therefore vaguely worded, which means that if you don't mind being used for PR, e.g. appearing in news stories alongside a beaming senior manager as he hands over a cheque or a wheelchair or whatever, there may be funding or goods or discounts to be had.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)