Author Topic: Computer and Console gaming  (Read 3096 times)

Prabhakari

Computer and Console gaming
« on: February 24, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
Do you like them?
Can you play them?
Are you frustrated by some of them because of disabilities?

I have always used my computer for playing games when able to.
I like simulations in particular because they give me a kind of window into the outside world.
I like games that need intelligence; that re-create history.
I have an old game called Pharaoh. It still works. It is like Caesar III, and gives the challenge of building up an ancient culture.
I have never completed Pharaoh, so do not know how it ends.

I like train simulations.
I am running submarine simulations. The japanese are in the process of invading the Phillipines at the moment and there are huge battleships, cruisers, destroyers and troop carriers just offshore.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

RococoSoul

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Diamond member
  • This is Della
Re: Computer and Console gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
I have a Nintendo Wii and xBox 360, here for my brothers use (he's 12 and lives for the xbox). I can't use them, I would love to have a go on the Wii, or the xbox for that matter but just can't. The Wii is all about action, shifting your balance on a board or simulating sword fighting or boxing, it's impossible. Even just using a regular control would be too much for my fingers. The Wii fit+ does have a weight/BMI/Balance tool on it though so I do use that.

I did have a go on Castleville (on facebook) but the further you get the more you need to do and I just can't sit at a computer for that long. Fun while it lasted though.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

SteveX

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »
I have two consoles and really enjoy using them but I'm pretty limited to short gaming sessions.
have Xbox and wii
Member of POMMAS

Fizzbw

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:15:15 PM »
I have a DS and a wii. I just use the wii for keep fit, which means a few yoga stretches when I can, and sometime the dance games which means waving my arms around nothing else!

I used to play more though other than Zelda I've never been that taken with the games. I cross stitch now and it's way better at distracting from the pain and you get to make something beautiful as well!

Fizzbw xxx

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:07 PM »
I love to cross-stitch but it's becoming more difficult to hold the needle. I'm determined to finish the piece I'm working on :-)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Fizzbw

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »
That's a real shame rocco, have you tried needle point? Would the bigger needle help or is it the action of holding the needle?

Fxxx

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
I got arthritis and get really bad cramps. It's the time taken/needed to do it, so I really suffer after. I love to draw and paint too and went to Glyntaff Art College, but the same applies to them. I do like photography, so maybe that can be my new hobby :-)

Prabhakari

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »
I wonder if there is a maze game for searching for Monster Pickled onion snacks?

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »
 >lol<

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
"I wonder if there is a maze game for searching for Monster Pickled onion snacks?"

But they're easily available in shops. Unless I've bought the entire stock that is.

Got to admit, the great appeal of computer and video games is a complete mystery to me. When I was a lad (in the late 1970s) I had one of these very basic Binatone TV games console, this one - http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos/binatone_TV-master-mk-4_2s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp%3Fst%3D3%26c%3D1035&h=228&w=350&sz=48&tbnid=bmrWKt5A5YSChM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=124&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbinatone%2Btv%2Bmaster%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=binatone+tv+master&docid=lHQKqTlN98NRUM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Y5tIT5mND6rD0QXDweyfDg&sqi=2&ved=0CHoQ9QEwCQ&dur=2500 - and thought it was great, even though one of the controls went a bit shaky after a few months.

However, my taste never developed and I never go near the things nowadays. I  have mates who (when single) would play on the things for hours and hours on end and they have occasionally been talked into taking part (or more likely just handed the controls), so all I do is deliberately play them as badly as possible, so my 'opponent' will be as bored as I am.

Each to their own but the things just aren't for me.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »
When single? That is rare. My mother's husband is as bad as their 12yr old, he sits up there arguing with my brother over who won on fifa12 or  Football Manager and he even goes on there when the boy isn't there. Drives my mother crazy but they love each other really >lol<

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:10:01 AM »
I'll rephrase that. When they're single is the ony time they tend to invite me round to their homes. I don't know what they do with their partners but I can think of much more interesting things to do than play video games.

It's weird though, but because of the way I look (disabled, redheaded, bespectacled) people often assume that I'm going to be into gaming. Or sci fi. Or maths. In fact I have practically no interest in the first two. And as for the third....well it just doesn't add up.

RococoSoul

• Diamond member
  • This is Della
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »
It doesn't compute or add up  >lol<

Yes, I'd be thinking of more interesting things to be doing too!  >lol< >whistle<

Prabhakari

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
I have had many adventures with Flight Simulator. There are so many ways to fly; so many free aircraft, as well as ones that one buys and recreate the real aircraft precisely. I love old prop bi-planes.
One can get all kinds of scenery; scenery for the entire world. I first got real scenery for the U.K, and had great fun flying over my own home; following railway lines and landing on the local grass airfield.

I have written about my long flights online, telling everyone what happens during the days and nights of flying. Flight sim has got real weather updates, and one of my best flights was from South Korea to Norwich.
I flew through violent thunderstorms for most of the way, landing in torrential rain at Charles de Gaulle airport in France with the lightning still crashing all round and clouds towering up thousands of feet.
It was an amazing adventure. Trying to find fuel while flying across Russia was a particular challenge as nearly all the airfields were military and barred to civilian aircraft. I only just made it.

I have mangaged to engage with the Japanese navy, and left them searching for me in the night, with searchlights from the destroyers moving across the sea. I am currently enroute back to Manila. This carries a big risk, as I know that historically, the Japanese were about to over-run the American Naval Base. I hope to get out before they shut off the bay. The waters in the bay are very shallow and only 48 feet deep for most of it.

Civilisation IV is a brain-game that has been very popular with teachers, as it can be used to show what happens when decisions are made or when a country spends its resources on war.

SteveX

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
oh I used to really love Flight Simulators, so much fun!

Sadly my pc simply isn't capable of running one these days and there are none on the xbox (I really don't count things like Ace Combat, Blazing Angels and HAWX)

Would love to play a flight sim again, ahhhh the memories
Member of POMMAS