Author Topic: Water softener  (Read 1052 times)

standardCindy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
Water softener
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
Has anyone got a water softener fitted for the entire house? Are they any good?

OH has very dry and itchy skin and I wondered if one of these might help. My skin is also dry and it may be caused by all the tablets and the inactivity.

In the ad they sound just what we need but, as usual, I'll ask friends on here first.

Many thanks. xx

Pyrotech

• Silver Member
Re: Water softener
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Well the main health downside of water softeners is they increase your intake of sodium, if either of you have high blood pressure, I'd think carefully about installing a salt based system. artificially soften water kills some plants, too much sodium...

In regards skin issues, I honestly can't see it going one way or the other...  people in soft water areas get skin problems.

Unless of course I question the efficiency of your washing machine and its rinsing abilities.. Residues from modern detergents especially bio ones can cause skin problems.  Trying a different rinse cycle. or a second one, see if that helps.

On the upside it will probably save you on repairs to all the heating and washing appliances as it significantly reduces calcium build up.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
www.TheWaterSoftenerCentre.com is one of many firms that sell water softeners.  I haven't used them & don't know anyone who has but I did notice that their website has an option of renting one of these things for a month to find out if it's actually useful.  Still expensive though, as you have to pay for installation.  :-(

Have you excluded any other things that could be affecting your skin, does using moisturiser after every bath or shower help (unperfumed moisturiser, in case one of you is sensitive to the scent, preferably without lanolin in case...)?  Twice daily moisturiser is a faff, but well worth it if it makes your skin feel better.
I got sore skin from using washing powder, after using it for years with no problem; when I switched to using liquid to wash my clothes the itch/ soreness went away.  My skin seemed to have taken against washing powder after 20-odd years (all washing powder, not certain brands or smells).  I can use any old laundry liquid, don't have to get expensive stuff.
It might be worth trying different bath/ shower products and/ or laundry stuff (possibly even try not wearing artificial fibres for a week to check if your clothing may be an irritant) before paying out lots of money on a water softener.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »
Like Seegee, I too have had skin problems from using washing powder;  liquids seem to be much better for me too.

My GP recently suggested that I use a moisturiser after baths as my skin has started to itch.  There's nothing obvious like a rash, it just feels irritated.

I would eliminate all other options before installing a water softener.  They can be expensive to maintain.

devine63

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 10:46:12 PM »
Hi

washing powders typically contain quite a lot of crushed seashell, so it could be that which makes people itch, also some contain enzymes for stain removal which can irritate the skin.  Your doc can prescribed large bottles of "Dermol" which is a moisturiser, it can also be used to replace soap or shower gel and has an antibacterial to prevent skin infections from itchiness being scratched and getting infected.

If it is the washing machine which is the problem don't soften the water for the whole house, just add water softener tablets to each wash (Calgon is the big name but most supermarkets have their own brand).
regards, Deb

stalwart

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
Have you heard of "Dr. Beckmann's Service-it"

It's a washing machine cleaner and works well, reaching the parts other cleaners don't and only costs under 4.

standardCindy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »
Thank-you all for replies.

I have tried changing washing powders to liquid, if fact I haven't used powder for years. I alway put some ordinary soda in the wash and I think that Calgon is soda.

Went to my chemist today to collect a prescription and asked there. She said that maybe OH could try Cetirizine which is an allergy tablet that might help.

We see the gp on Thursday so I'll ask him.

Thanks again. xx

standardCindy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »
Sorry, that didn't make sense. I meant to say I have tried different liquids.

xx