Author Topic: Donít misuse your disability benefits Ė the DWP might  (Read 5328 times)

Sofie

Re: Donít misuse your disability benefits Ė the DWP might
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »
What's the definition of "misuse"? There is no law saying that DLA must be just spent on disability stuff. It's money to spend as you see fit.

Danslatete

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:36:47 PM »
I use my sons dla to buy extra clothing bedding and for a computer for school as they cant fund it. For scouting support and for music lessons and any trips to cinema and swimming. It doesnt cover the cost but helps towards it. It also goes for petrol as he cant go anywhere by himself on buses etc. He get low rate care and mobility.
I would be very affronted to get a letter like this. Its hard enough to be a parent of a child who has no other needs, let alone a disabled child.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:40:32 PM »

I would be very affronted to get a letter like this. Its hard enough to be a parent of a child who has no other needs, let alone a disabled child.

I have someone inside the DWP checking, but apparently it is genuine and part of this:-

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/app-19.pdf

Sofie

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
How much is this going to cost? If you do this for DLA, you have to do it for all benefits. Or is it more acceptable to spend child benefit on whatever?

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:32:17 AM »
Whilst I appreciate that parents get caught up in this, I actually think it's reasonable for someone to be keeping an eye on what appointees get up to, to make sure they're not stealing the claimant's money. 

If someone in need of DLA for their basic care was being cheated by their appointee and a story was published about it, I don't think it would take long on here for people to be saying that those disabled people who are vulnerable (which many people who need an appointee rather than handling their own money are likely to be) should be properly protected from exploitation.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Prabhakari

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 12:49:19 AM »
As the number of disabled benefit cheats are so few, how many of the rest are likely to be dishonest?
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

JLRRAC

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:41:14 AM »
Could it be that they are genuinely concerned particularly is cases where the parent(s) have drink, gambling or drug problems?

I mind thinking what was then known as 'family allowance' was in effect a subsidy for poor wages, I know my late mother had to use the family allowance to make ends meet as my father, a corporation painter and decorator's wages from the council were not so huge and my father did have a bit of a problem with gambling (the horses) he thought his luck couldn't get worse then hey presto.....I came along in 58 >lol<

Prabhakari

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
SNORK
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

devine63

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:43:24 PM »
Hi

when "Family Allowance" was introduced (later re-named Child Benefit) it was paid to the mother specifically because (it was claimed) so many fathers failed to give their wife enough of their wages to pay for the family's needs, so the money was intended to help ensure the children were fed and clothed appropriately, even if Dad did keep most of his wages for his own pursuits.   

In those days it was not at all unusual for a wife not to know how much her husband earned - his wages would have been handed to him in cash, literally in a brown pay packet, usually on a Thursday evening.....

Mind you I also remember an interesting divorce court ruling: a husband complained to the court because he had just learned that by scrimping and saving the wife had managed to save a small amount each week from the meagre allocation of "housekeeping" money he gave her.   This saving had resulted in a "tidy sum" (a few hundred pounds perhaps) and having learned that it existed (due to the financial disclosures by both parties to the court) the husband tried to demand that the money should be treated as one of the joint assets.  The judge disagreed: he ruled that the wife had produced the savings by her hard work, given the small amount of housekeeping she was allowed (I imagine this was judged compared to the husband's actual earnings), and he ordered that those savings belonged to the wife alone!!!!
regards, Deb

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
Hello Sofie

The defition of mis-use by this govt is DICTATOR-SHIP by David (heil-futher) Cammoran

JLRRAC

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 06:42:59 PM »
Devine, it was because of my Mother's scrimping and saving that the hoose's insurance was kept up to date.

Another wee thing I'd like to mention to show just how amazing my Mum was is that for the nine years or so I was married and away from the family home (My wife and me had a bought flat in Glasgow's Ibrox area and then Croftfoot)  my Mum kept renewing my housing application with the Corporation and it was this that saw me getting a flat in Castlemilk after I sold the croftfoot hoose. Thankfully I no longer have to live in Castlemilk, whilst my family still do I hated the place from day one and still do. I actually preferred living in Dennistoun even though it was with a shared toilet out oan the landing, no front gardens jist the pavement street pavement and rats to spare.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
"As the number of disabled benefit cheats are so few, how many of the rest are likely to be dishonest?" (Prabhakari)

This isn't about whether the person entitled to the benefit is honest but whether the appointee is honest.

It happens that in relation to children, the appointee is usually the parent and that person is usually the person who's claiming and handling the money as a parent, but many appointees are not parents of children, but adult children of older parents, other relatives, friends or neighbours.  I believe that there is a small but very real risk of appointees cheating the people whose money they handle and that it is reasonable for steps to be taken at intervals to make sure that everything is fine.

Whether the current process does that adequately or appropriately, I don't pretend to know.  In relation to children, I would expect a child who is in receipt of DLA to be subject to the common assessment framework and would think that that would be the more appropriate context in which to review whether DLA is being spent for the benefit of the disabled child, be that directly or indirectly. 
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLRRAC

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
Just wondering, what are the chances we'll see auditors called in to assess whether a parent/carer carried out enough research into the best source/prices for the person they are caring for?  Questions could run along the lines of how much did you pay for the disabled child's mobiity scooter?  What level of discount did you obtain?  How many quotes did you obtain befrore parting with the "Hard working taxpayers" money available to you for the care of your disabled child? Lastly, how much underspend of the disablility benefits paid into the account of the qualifying person do you accrue at the end of each month?

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 11:10:17 PM »
Here (I hope) is a pdf of the form BF57B attached