Author Topic: Re council tax rebate for disabled  (Read 2884 times)

Silverstar

• Diamond member
Re council tax rebate for disabled
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
I am asking about this for my mum who pays full council tax band d although as she Ashe is widowed she does get the single person rebate. I read that it is possible to get a reduction if the person is disabled to the next band down if they have a room that especially meets their needs and they use it for their main living area.

Mum is registered blind and has talking books from the RNIB, she is also deaf, has really bad RA and other health issues, she has a trolley for her machine and discs and can only sit in one special chair, in the same room. She spends nearly all her time in this room, apart from sleeping. She eats in their, again with a special trolley. Would it be worth. Trying to see if she would qualify?

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Re council tax rebate for disabled
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:34:10 PM »
My council will only give a disabled rebate if there is a bathroom or kitchen that has been specifically adapted to meet the sole needs of the disabled person.
It may be worth asking your council what criteria they use to assess a house for the rebate before you go to the bother of putting in an application.  My council have all the information on their website.

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:47:29 PM »
My council says this if "there is a room, that is not a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory, used to predominantly meet the needs of the disabled resident". I would say this was true of the living room my mum uses so I wonder if she would meet the criteria?

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
Well, you can only ask them for a meeting to make enquiries.  This is not a scheme that my local council have.

Monic1511

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »
Silverstar

there is no harm in putting in an application for a reduction due to disability but has your mum ever had a benefit check.
You say she has visual impairment so is she in receipt of Attendance Allowance or Care component of DLA (middle or high rate)  if so she may be due a "severe disability premium" which she would claim through pension credit.
Guaranteed Pension credit would get a full council tax rebate in most areas.

I know elderly people don't like claiming benefit but its really rewarding when you get them attendance allowance of £53.00 and some pension credit of another £59.50 and then tell them they need to pay less council tax.
If her weekly income is less than 145.50+59.50 = £205 then she should be claiming pension credit
good luck
Monic

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
She does get AA, I managed to get it for her, my Dad died a couple of years ago and my mum still gets half of his private pension and she owns her own home and has quite a bit in the bank so I don't think she would qualify or anything else. She does get more than £205 a week with her pension and her AA together.

But her council tax is quite high and I saw a reference on a welfare rights site with an example of someone in very similar circumstances to my mum, with macular degeneration, who used talking books etc and this person, with help from welfare rights successfully got a rebate and got his band "changed" from a D rating to a C. I was just interested in whether she could qualify or whether it was a lost cause lol. Thanks for the help. I think I will talk it over with her. 

Monic1511

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:28:53 PM »
Silverstar
Her AA is NOT included in the £205 figure, the value of her home is disregarded as is the first £10,000 of any savings.  What you need to do is find out the value of the half of the occ pen and her state pension together - if thats less than £205 then she needs to claim pension credit, in fact she should probably make a claim anyway.

Monic

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
I did a benefits calculation on age concern and my mum got zero. She gets smallish state pension because she mainly worked part-time when I lived at home due to health problems, she gets bereavement allowance because my dad died, AA and she owns her own house and has a sizeable amount of savings, she also gets half of my dad's private pension. I didn't think she would qualify but I think I am going to pursue this disabled person's rebate for her council tax. It's not a massive amount (£159 reduction) but everything helps.

I feel she should get it, my dad served in the forces for many years, got contaminated with biological warfare and never really recovered and died 2 years ago. My mum is not badly off by any means but my dad got sod all help after he came out of the forces and being in them ruined his health and I feel he was cheated of a long and peaceful retirement. So I think he was "owed" something really.   

Monic1511

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »
Silver star

when you did the calculation did you tick lives alone & no one claims carers for your mum?
The part about owning your home is irrelevant although her savings may knock her out of pension credits
you maybe right if she gets bereavement allowance of £108 + state pension £64 + dads pension weekly £100 - these are all guesses but the government operates on a "If you don't ask you don't get" - saves them a fortune

take care  >dove<
monic

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
I did include she lives alone and no one gets carers allowance. She doesn't need the money but as with us all, the extra is nice. I have never understood why you only get a 25% reduction if you live alone. It's nonsense, I don't feel she would qualify for PC but I do think the council tax reduction is do able. 

devine63

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »
Hi Silverstar

are any of the ex-service organisations working on the cases like your Dad who should probably have some compensation due for what happened to them?   It would be worth checking with the British Legion, Soldiers, Sailors & Airmen's Association and any organisations specific to your Dad's particular service / regiment etc..  They can sometimes still get compensatin after death. 

I wonder if your mum's amount of savings could be affecting her entitlement?   I don't know what the limits are these days, but sometimes worth double checking.
regards, Deb

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
My dad did try a few years ago but got turned down, he was in the Korean War and got contaminated with biological warfare and it caused him a lifelong skin problem, he was in hospital for weeks after he got discharged. He was in the navy for 7 years and got diddly squat.

AccessOfficer

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
Hi Silverstar,

This might help from the gov.uk website.

Council Tax Reduction:

Council Tax Benefit will no longer exist from 1 April 2013, instead you can apply for Council Tax Reduction.

You’ll get money off your Council Tax bill if you qualify for Council Tax Reduction.

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-reduction

Regards
AO

AccessOfficer

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »
Hi Silverstar,
Were you able to find anything useful for your Mum on the .gov website?

Regards
AO

Silverstar

• Diamond member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
I did look but found my local council site more pertinent be because they do seem to cover the room mainly used by a disabled person as a criteria and not all councils do. However my mum is not massively keen on the idea ( I must admit I did not mention it her first until I had something concrete).

She feels it is a lot of hassle and messing about to save £13 a month and I can understand why she is reluctant to have the council sniffing about. We had all that my dad needed carers and the were investigating my parent's savings etc. you do not invite these people in unless you have to lol. So I may leave it for now but thanks very much for the info.