Author Topic: Sources of help - you may be older than you think!  (Read 254 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Sources of help - you may be older than you think!
« on: March 22, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
Are you over 50 (or maybe even younger)...

Did you know that some advice services and sources of other help that say they're for elders, elderly, seniors, old[er] people/persons etc. offer help from age 50?  If you did, there's nothing new to read here.  If not, carry on reading.

I'd been aware of it in relation to local activities such as day trips, activity days, exercise classes etc. but following something up, I found myself looking at the website of a local service I think of as for 'oldies' and realised they advise on benefits like ESA and PIP. 

So I just looked at Age UK.  A very quick count-up shows they advise on approximately 15 benefits/concessions that are relevant to people below pension age, some, but not all, of which are also payable to people over pension age. 

So when those grey hairs start showing, check out the help for oldies.  At the rate at which the government is raising the retirement age, you'll never reach it anyway, even if you live to 120, so you might as well use the resources now.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Sources of help - you may be older than you think!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:02:43 PM »
This 'silver surfer' of almost 52 thanks you for what could be some useful info  >thumbsup< - though I'll be giving the exercise classes a miss  >biggrin<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:41:45 PM »
I used to go to an exercise class for grey-haired ladies but it closed and I haven't found another I like.  There are other exercise classes around but they seem to be stuff like zumba and all terribly energetic but, more to the point, all seem to consist of very loud music and people competing to see how fashionable and skimpy their exercise kit is.  Then there's the humour.  Surely there has to be another class out there where the teacher plays smoochy numbers for the pelvic floor exercises?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
 >biggergrin<

I hadn't realised that, so thanks sunny. I'm about 18 months older than kizzy so I guess I might fit into some of those old groups too. Because of my pain I do actually feel old though. I suppose because I associate the fatigue than pain brings as being an old age thing.