Author Topic: Transcribing.  (Read 11026 times)

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Transcribing.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
I did catch myself adding new typos a couple of times, so it's always good to re-check what I've suggested too. 
I'm no better than most people when typing (not at all good at typing, can't touch-type so I look at the keyboard/ my fingers) and make plenty of mistakes. 
Obviously I wouldn't correct anybody's spelling &/or grammar unless they specifically asked me to (that'd be rude >thumbsdown< as well as wasting everyone's time >blush<) or it seemed to be causing misunderstandings, when I would ask the poster if they meant to say xx rather than xz. 
Hope that's OK SunshineMeadows. >hugs<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »
Back home now.

That's the kind of thing I'm likely to notice; is it at all useful? 

Yes both you and Hurtyback looking for those sort of mistakes is useful to me because I do make silly typos and spelling errors. I also sometimes have a word in my head and intend to type it but instead something else gets put in eg there and their.

Sunny, I am very aware that it can feel very nasty to have people picking on simple human errors. Please tell us when you want us to stop!

Obviously I wouldn't correct anybody's spelling &/or grammar unless they specifically asked me to (that'd be rude >thumbsdown< as well as wasting everyone's time >blush<) or it seemed to be causing misunderstandings, when I would ask the poster if they meant to say xx rather than xz.

I am glad you both made those points  >thumbsup<
Almost everyone makes typos and odd mistakes and as long as the message makes sense that is usually okay. Sometimes I do write something that I know will get passed on and therefore have a wider readership. On those occassions it is important that I ask volunteers to check it for me. When I write something myself I find I am often blind to little mistakes.

>hugs<

I am going to go over and make the corrections to that post now.
Thank you,
 >tah< >thumbsup<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »
I re wrote the bit at the end

The second defence the government put up was that within the consultation they felt it was appropriate to discount any emails or letters which contained the same text eg form letters. This meant that when people did not or could not write what they thought in their own words it became more likely that their views would be discounted. I think together we can find a way around this.

Does that work okay?

Sometimes my sentence structure ties me up in knots and it is good to have people to help unpick to find out what I was trying to say.

Thanks Seegee

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
1.Near the beginning you have "listen to" rather than "listened to".
2.In the last long paragraph there is "consultantion" for "consultation". 
3.which ?replace by these [defences]?

That para is long; would this >downarrow< make for easier reading by those who find big blocks of text difficult to process? 

We need to expand on what happened last month, we need to help and support each other through the pain and anger many of us are going to feel as we take part in the PIP Consultation 2012 Campaign. We also need to push forward and try to think of ways around the defences the government put up as they attempted to devalue the Spartacus Campaign.
The most significant of these (?defences) are:-
Firstly, the government said the Spartacus Report was biased because it only used 500 responses to the first consultation. The fact that Freedom of Information requests managed to gain access to that many responses shows the hard work that was done by the Spartacus Team, and the fact they did not have access to the other 5000 responses does not invalidate the 'sample' of 500 because on this occasion a 'sample' of 10% was statistically significant. There have been further requests for more information but up to this point access has been denied. I therefore suggest that if we can get as many responses in the public eye as possible then the government can't so easily fudge the facts away.
The second defence the government put up was that within the consultation they felt it was appropriate to discount any emails or letters which contained the same text eg form letters. This meant that when people did not or could not write what they thought in their own words it became more likely that their views would be discounted. I think together we can find a way around this.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
...which just proves that re-reading is different from reading!  >biggrin<
I bet those 2 typos were ones I missed earlier. >lol<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
That para is long; would this >downarrow< make for easier reading by those who find big blocks of text difficult to process? 

We need to expand on what happened last month, we need to help and support each other through the pain and anger many of us are going to feel as we take part in the PIP Consultation 2012 Campaign. We also need to push forward and try to think of ways around the defences the government put up as they attempted to devalue the Spartacus Campaign.
The most significant of these (?defences) are:-
Firstly, the government said the Spartacus Report was biased because it only used 500 responses to the first consultation. The fact that Freedom of Information requests managed to gain access to that many responses shows the hard work that was done by the Spartacus Team, and the fact they did not have access to the other 5000 responses does not invalidate the 'sample' of 500 because on this occasion a 'sample' of 10% was statistically significant. There have been further requests for more information but up to this point access has been denied. I therefore suggest that if we can get as many responses in the public eye as possible then the government can't so easily fudge the facts away.

I find big blocks of text incredibly difficult to process, and that worked pretty well for me! >thumbsup<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
Also could each volunteer click on the notify button at the top of this thread.

>thankyou<

I have clicked it too so next time I won't forget to check the thread.
 >cartwheel<

Hurtyback

• Moderator 3am board
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »
Also could each volunteer click on the notify button at the top of this thread.

>thankyou<

Done  >thumbsup<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
Tis done!  >thumbsup<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
Transcribing request.

Meridi has being interviewed http://soundcloud.com/ukuncut/uk-uncut-podcast-1-interview

It is more than half and hour long so I realise people will need time to get it down.

http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=2346.0

Thank you
:-)

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »
Would it be a good idea if one person does 5 minutes worth of transcribing then pass the baton to someone else who wishes to do it?
June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Mentally Wobbly.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
AOK, will do first 5 minutes if that's alright.

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
AOK, will do first 5 minutes if that's alright.

Have you already started to transcribe the first 5 minutes?

Something is wrong with me, it feels like I have done this before.

Weird... >yikes<

Either I am not properly cemented in the present time period all the time or my brain is pushing alot of stuff into the long-term memory basket first then transfering it to short-term making it feel older and like I have already done it once before. Oh FFS!! >angry<
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:32:12 PM by Dark_Divinity »
June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Mentally Wobbly.

seegee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »
Think I'm about 3-and-a-half minutes in.  I know I haven't posted any of it, am scribbling with pencil then typing into word; my typing isn't nearly quick enough to transcribe directly onto screen. 
If you feel as if you've done it before, is it just a general deja-vu thing or  is  staring at the screen & concentrating starting to make you feel odd?