Author Topic: Welfare Rights  (Read 1984 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Welfare Rights
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
I know a lot of us know about claiming welfare benefits from our own experiences, and this does mean we have some knowledge of welfare rights, however in terms of me asking for volunteers is there anyone who has training or has worked in welfare rights who would like to volunteer to help on the new Welfare Rights category on Ouch Too?

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: Welfare Rights
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »
Hi Sunshine
Im a Assistant welfare rights officer - just means I deal with basic cases - anything at tribunal stage is too complex.
I try to answer posts on here when I see them & will continue to do this
Monic

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »
Monic,

I am still in the process of setting up the Welfare Rights section up, but when I decided to do it I was thinking that people like you, Kizzy and Deb would (hopefully) be able to help out.

I do know various aspects of welfare rights but I dont have any training and so having volunteers who do have training and experience is going to make what we are trying to do more achievable.

There are a lot of disabled and sick people who won't see the changes are coming until they get a brown envelope in the post, and I am hoping Ouch Too will be able to help people who find their way here.
 :-)

WheeledTraveler

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
I know I'm a little late (there was some family stuff going on that ate my energy for the past month), but would you like me to provide any US benefit information in the Welfare Rights section? I was going to post something in the Other Benefits section, but wasn't sure if you wanted to keep it UK-only.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
would you like me to provide any US benefit information in the Welfare Rights section? I was going to post something in the Other Benefits section

Use please  >thumbsup< >hugs<

gammagirl

• Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
I never check this bit - sorry.

I'm now whether I like it or not an expert on DLA tribunals. Mine was a bit unusual, therefore I learnt a hell of a lot. I also had a friend who is a solicitor that sent me all the legal handbooks etc on DLA, so I have as much information as anyone else properly trained has, but only on DLA, not on other benefits.

If it's of any help, it's welcome to people, but I'm useless on ESA questions.

Also, but a bit off topic, I'm a trained scientist, so am pretty good at translating technical stuff, including medical jargon, into ordinary people speak. I also used to help out with student support as a PhD student - I was used extensively by my department to contact, liaise with and tutor students with additional needs, often those who were struggling due to missing time from chronic illness, as it was something I was living proof of could be tackled. It means I'm pretty clued up on DSA and what help is reasonable. If any of that is ever of use, shout. I run out of spoons easily though.

The number of scare stories around, I think being able to understand scientific evidence is more important that people may think.

devine63

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:46:31 PM »
"The number of scare stories around, I think being able to understand scientific evidence is more important that people may think"

I couldn't agree more GG, especially as the govt are apparently intentionally & deliberately mis-using the existing data....  but luckily, some of us have more of a grasp of stats than they would like!
regards, Deb
regards, Deb

[devine63]

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
Gammagirl,

Thank you for the kind offer I am happy to accept it  :-) and will go and add volunteer to your member status.

>tah<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:50:53 PM »
GG  - I noted the informative and knowledgeable replies you were giving in a thread elsewhere about a DLA tribunal, so I add my thanks to you also for your future assistance in this area  >thumbsup<