Author Topic: ESA WCA handbook for Atos examiners  (Read 3984 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
Re: ESA WCA handbook for Atos examiners
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
And very well worth a look  >thumbsup<

hossylass

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
I'll try and get the pdf file onto here,  but have no idea how...

It is essential reading.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
I'll try and get the pdf file onto here,  but have no idea how...

It is essential reading.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/wca-handbook.pdf

hossylass

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Errr I didn't mean as a pdf link, I meant as text, but thanks anyway ! >lol<

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
I can copy the text, but some of it is "text as image" so it doesn't make any sense without copying the images, and the best way to represent text and images without changing their reference points to each other is a pdf anyway.

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 01:15:58 PM »
i want to know if there is a definition for being able to perform an activity "safely": what has to go wrong and how injured do you have to be before it is unsafe for you to do something? I stand to gain a lot of points based on the unsafe nature of activities. I woud like to think that potential to dislocate several fingers and a wrist doing a descriptor means it cannot be done safely, but who knows. I'd probably have to be able to guarantee I'd be injured a certain number of times out of every 10 attempts before it counts. If potential to dislocate myself turning on a tap counts then I'm Support Group material.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:24:58 PM »
i want to know if there is a definition for being able to perform an activity "safely":

It does not mean just safely for yourself but anyone else in the vicinity. (For instance if you keep forgetting you have something cooking on a gas ring in the kitchen.)

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:31 PM »
Yes, but how injured do you have to get, and how often, before it meets THEIR criteria for being unsafe?

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »
Here's the DWP definition:

'Safely' means in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to the individual, either directly or through vulnerability to the actions of others; or to another person.

When considering whether an activity can be undertaken safely it is important to consider the risk of a serious adverse event occurring. However, the risk that a serious adverse event may occur due to impairments is insufficient there has to be evidence that if the activity was undertaken, the adverse event is likely to occur.

I read that as the 'adverse event' including injury to self, which would make sense.  Dislocation sounds 'serious' enough to me..

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »
Since the "modern working environment should allow for the use of a wheelchair" according to the WCA, are there any facts on this? Is the percentage of all working environments where wheelchair use (even in terms of a reference sized manual wheelchair) is actually possible? Given that you cannot be a plumber, builder, supply teacher, visiting worker of any kind that involves using other people's homes, a police officer, an outdoor worker, a train driver, a crane driver, a priest (often involves visiting homes and funeral homes) most kinds of nursing, doctoring, professional driving, curator of historical homes, lecturer in an ancient listed university... they are thinking exclusively of offices and even with offices the percentage which are accessible trumps by far the percentage which are not. I'd love to see some stats on how many "workplaces", including non-fixed workplaces such as digging the road or visiting people at home, are wheelchair accessible according to a standard type of wheelchair and use. I bet it's a really, really small percentage.

hossylass

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
Not only is it a small percentage but the ESA handbook gives a call centre as the standard job to judge against.

Now the last figures I found showed that for every callcentre or administrative job, i.e. desk based, including sales lines etc that there were 46 people who listed a desk job as their primary occupation when registering at the job centre for EVERY ONE JOB of this nature.

Given the number of people at that time being found fit for work at a desk only, this would increase to 49 people for every desk job.

The difference being that disabled people found fit for work should ONLY apply for these jobs, as these are the jobs they are fit to do, whilst the rest of the population can be flexible.

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 01:21:29 PM »
Not only is it a small percentage but the ESA handbook gives a call centre as the standard job to judge against.

Sucks if you are a deaf wheelie then. But of course we all know everyone only gets one impairment each. I don't know any deaf wheelchair users, do you?  >doh< >devil<