Author Topic: **** Website Maintenance****  (Read 6399 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
**** Website Maintenance****
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »
Given that the site is running slow again today I want to do a quick thread on whether or not people would be okay with me getting on with the task today or if people need me to wait until Monday?

Comments please?

Prabhakari

Re: **** Website Maintenance****
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
I suggest Monday, mainly because people have left off relaxing on a Monday.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »
Good point Prab :-)

By the way this is what a site looks like when it is down for maintenance.

http://falldown7timesgetup8.org/index.php

Using that website I can get a copy of Ouch Too up and working well enough that people can post they problem is though we would have to manually copy new posts over to Ouch Too once the maintenance was finished.

I could leave a copy of Ouch Too up and create a board for people to use while they wait knowing their posts won't necesaarily get put over here - Ouch Too.

I might be asking people too many questions but it is important that those who have an opinion on this voice it before maintenance starts.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »
If it were me, I'd announce that OuchToo would be completely down for maintenance on Monday (to reduce the chance of anyone being unpleasantly surprised) but that would be it until the site came back up.

For a few hours of downtime, I don't think it's fair to expect you to mess around with distractions like fallback sites and manually copying posts around. I know from experience just how quickly that sort of ad-hoc hackery can dissolve into chaos.

That said, if the parameters of your disability mean that today is a good day and you need to seize your chance to do it, then go for it.

Becca7

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:32:41 PM »
Im confused, could you list what you want us to answer? (sorry, hard day) also i went to the link but it asked me to login, could you clarify if thats what it should look like (as may just be my phone - i can manage without posting monday so dont change anything just for me!)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 07:02:20 PM »
That said, if the parameters of your disability mean that today is a good day and you need to seize your chance to do it, then go for it.

Darth,

You got it spot on  :-)

Good point about the back up site and it being a distraction.

What I can do is still create a back up but leave it closed and only open it if we really need to.

Im confused, could you list what you want us to answer?

Becca,

The log in on that link I posted is an admin only log in and while that page is up only a administrator can log in so that would be just me.

Sorry I have not been clear about the question.

Do people need me to schedule a day for maintenance eg this coming Monday or will it be okay for me to just do it when I have time and energy.

On personal note I am being a right fuss pot because when changed the hosting on the test site it took about two hours and went smoothly. There is some additional maintenance I want to do but I dont have to do it all at once.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »
Given that the site is running slow again today I want to do a quick thread on whether or not people would be okay with me getting on with the task today or if people need me to wait until Monday?

Comments please?

I thought the blockage had been cleared the site has been working like greased lightning for the past few hours.

Becca7

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
Apologies i have misunderstood. First i thought it was a working example and second thought the site closure was 24 hr plus hence alternative. Having thought about it (food and meds helped) perhaps you are better annoucing how long you expect work to take (expecting it to take as long as possible) then we can advise re an alternative. Personally i think it isnt worth an alternative for less than a day outage, plus you may be asking for problems having a backup (transfer problems and lots more work). 

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 08:20:55 PM »
I am off to ireland to see the parents from Sunday for 6 days, so Monday would of course be fine for me, as won't be able to use internet in the wilds of Connemara.

I do think that the site should be closed for 1 day, as maintenance could take at least this time.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 08:35:31 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with Darth, that if you have a 'spoonage' window of opportunity, you should seize it!

If people are directed straight to the 'test site' page, there would be an announcement there explaining the downtime?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:47 AM »
I found a bit of software that makes making a back up easier so this is what I intend to do.

Ouch Too will go into maintenance mode on Monday morning  I will back up the database then I will use that to create a fully working back up before I set in motion the first part of maintenance.
(changing the hosting from Windows to Linux).

Providing this goes smoothly and everything is working I will take Ouch Too off maintance mode and people can get back to using it on Monday evening

If there is a problem and it persists into Tuesday I will open up the back up site for use. It will look the same as here and you wont need to register. I will make it so people can post on the Talk board and also the 3am board but none of the others. this will make it much easier if we decide to copy posts back here Ouch Too.org once it is up and running.

To clarify Ouch Too both Ouch Too and the back up site will be in maintenance mode on Monday whilst I am changing the hosting. The back up site will not be open on Monday.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 12:13:56 AM »
~bump~

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »
 >erm<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
Looks like my avatar is back, beofre I assume it is fixed please let me know is your avatar is missing.
 >tah<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 07:10:57 PM »
Do attachments work?

>attachment<