Author Topic: How to make the font larger in the reply box?  (Read 2233 times)

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
How to make the font larger in the reply box?
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »
The font in this box is really small and I would so like to enlarge it.

The font on the page and webpages are fine.  But the reply box font is too small.   :-(

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
Re: How to make the font larger in the reply box?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
Above the smilies is a load of boxes. There's a drop down box (second one in) called font size. Click on that and choose your font size.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »
That does mean that the actual post goes onto the board in large font, though - Sunshine and I were discussing the use of font size earlier and we do prefer that it's kept to standard if possible, as changes of text appearance can be distracting on a thread (and like block capitals, large font may come over like 'shouting'!)

Katie

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
The drop-down box embeds instructions in the text to change the font size when people read the post... and not the edit box. I'm going to hazard a guess that the problem here is that the default edit box text is too small.

If you're on Chrome or Firefox then there's some "make all the text bigger/smaller" keys. On UNIX it's control and plus/minus. On the Mac it's command plus/minus. On Windows it might be either control or windows  and plus/minus. That's definitely only a rendering change. There's also a menu option (under view) for this.

There's also, in both browsers, an option to set a minimum text size. If you set this to (say) 14 or 16 or even larger, when a website says "do this in really really small", your web-browser will just say "erm. No." and do it in normal size text.

On my version of Firefox it's under Edit/Preferences, then pick Content at the top, then look for Fonts and click Advanced... and there's a "Minimum font size" selector.

For Chrome it's spanner/settings/show advanced settings and then "web content" and push "customize fonts". Scroll down in that window and; minimum font size.

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:37:29 PM »
Thanks folks.  But I'm not on Fire Fox or Chrome.

I have updated to IE8.

I used to be on IE7 which had brilliant a brilliant font for reply boxes and Hotmail etc.

But IE8 font is too small and I just cannot work out how to change it.

How do I change the browser setting?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
Yvette,

To enlarge the font (and everything else) on an Internet Explorer page press the Ctrl and the + = key on your keyboard. To reduce the size back again is Ctrl _- key.

To enlarge the font in the reply box it is as Sofie already described however as Kizzy already mentioned we would prefer it is people took a standardised aprroach. Changig the font size then writing a post then before you click Post right click on you most click on select all and then chose 10pt in the drop down box.

Later in the year I hope to create more options so people can customise the way the page looks to them.

:-)

edit to change 8pt -10pt
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:50:50 PM by SunshineMeadows »

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
Thank you.   >tah<