Author Topic: Testing link to scanned documents  (Read 3102 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
Testing link to scanned documents
« on: April 27, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
I've been trying to scan a few documents received at the work-focused interview I had last Monday:  could a few people test this link and ensure they are seeing what I'm seeing? (cover sheet for Work Programme) -  >tah<

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1emi5QpfucE1AgGuCTNIn1mpksnrwLRPnXEFyX7jPEPC0YBmDkHrWB1RGOps8/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:09:59 PM by KizzyKazaer »

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Testing link to scanned documents
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »
It won't let me access the document as it requires me to have authorisation to do so.  It also requires you to have a google account (which I do).

I have tried doing various things with google docs and failed.  It is not as useful as they would have you believe.

KizzyKazaer

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
Thanks for that, Ditchdwellers - I've been trying to scan to e-mail so that I end up with a viewable document that can be directly linked to, but obviously I will have to experiment with something else entirely!  Copying the scanned documents to Word didn't work as I couldn't then copy and paste them somewhere else, ie here, so back to the drawing board...(I'm aware the scanned stuff can be saved on my computer as 'jpegs' but I have a feeling that these are not easy to view when in text-only form.)

Worn out now  >biggrin<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
I too required a Google password which I entered. It then said I needed the authors permission to read.

KK, what format did you scan the document in. If it was a simple image scan (i.e. bmp, gif, tiff etc.) then you will probably have a very large image file or files. Not very useful.

Ideally you need to scan the document into a text reader. Alternatively you may be able to get an image read over the net using OCR (optical character recognition) software. Not sure what's available.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »

Google logoDrive

You need permission to access this item.

You are signed in as ............................., but you don't have permission to access this item. You can request access from the owner or choose a different account. Learn more

Request access   Choose a different account

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »
I have a Google account and am getting this message

Google logoDrive

You need permission to access this item.

You are signed in as sunshinemeadows43@gmail.com, but you don't have permission to access this item. You can request access from the owner or choose a different account. Learn more

Choose a different account

It might be easier to email the scanned docs to me then I will upload them to www.ouchtoo.org assuming they are for public us?

Nice of you to be doing this  >thumbsup<

ps I can use Office to create a PDF from the scanned docs

KizzyKazaer

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
Thanks for also testing, lankou!

KK, what format did you scan the document in

OldTone, I don't have the faintest idea apart from the simple option my HP Photosmart printer/scanner/copier gave me - Photos or Documents  >erm<  Perhaps the specific answer is buried in the machine's online 'handbook' (oh, for a paper version!)

It might be easier to email the scanned docs to me then I will upload them to www.ouchtoo.org assuming they are for public us?

SM, that might be a good idea  > starts looking hopeful <  - not had great success anyway with scanning-to-email, though ; only one document actually came through as an attachment (filename-1.pdf) - the other e-mails from 'HP e-print' didn't include the scanned item  >doh< though I made more than one attempt ..  Yes, the docs are fine for publishing here, no confidential details on them  >thumbsup<

Nice of you to be doing this  >thumbsup<

>biggrin< I have three documents in total and I wanted to display them as examples of what people should be given at their first WFI.  Had no idea it was going to be such an uphill challenge  >yikes<  >whistle<

I'll be off soon for Saturday stayover at Mum and Dad's so no time to do further with it now - when I get back, I'll start at Square One again, scan the things to the computer and take it from there (I'll see if I can get them into an e-mail the long way round....)

As you can see, I'm totally new to this particular technological lark and taking a hit and miss, trial and error approach - ie, 'flying by the seat of my pants'  >lol<

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »
Hi Kizzy

I'm getting You need permission to access this item.

You are signed in as monic1511@hotmail.com, but you don't have permission to access this item. You can request access from the owner or choose a different account.

Hope you have a good time at your parents house
Monic

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 06:50:38 PM »
Sounds like the scanning went well, and it's just the googledocs sharing function that hasn't worked as expected (not that I can help, as I always have trouble with googledocs sharing myself too...).

KizzyKazaer

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
Thanks again to all for testing it  - it's as well we checked instead of me sticking up something that wasn't accessible to anybody!

.... trying something else now  >x-fingers<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
Afternoon Kizzy,

I was out gardening and just looked at email, basic doc made and attached to an email reply for you to check.

It is great we are going to have such up to date information for people to see  >thumbsup<