Author Topic: The Chit Chat thread of maybe randomnessand dropping by.  (Read 61560 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
The Chit Chat thread of maybe randomnessand dropping by.
« on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:51 PM »
A thread to post chits and chats that can meander around from one topic to others.
Also the dropping by thread for lurchers  >doh< lurkers, people who dont post a lot or people or who are to busy, poorly, grumpy,happy or whatever for more than a chit chat.

Soooo anyway yesterday the much awaited new mattress arrived and the delivery men were in such a hurry it was whoosh up the stairs and gone before I could check it. Bad move because when I asked if they had unpacked it the first man said 'No' and then back upstairs to find that Mr Sunshine was stood in the bedroom looking quizzically at the bed 'Mattress is the wrong size!' he says.

Pity because the men had a harder time getting the mattress to pop out of the turn in our stairs on the way down than they way up. I was then informed ' If the one you want is a kingsized then it wont fit'.

I spent a few hours deciding on getting a refund or not and on reflection I thought turning the house into a ground floor flat or trapping Mr Sunshine upstairs like Rapunzel was not a good idea so I cancelled and ordered a different type of mattress. Hope it fits easily if not it is going to be a game of push and pull.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:47:48 PM by SunshineMeadows »

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: The Chit Chat thread of maybe randomnessand dropping by.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
Fat cat and kitten wrestling on the desk makes posting a bit gymnastic, unfortunately I am not that flexible.

Hurtyback

• Moderator 3am board
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:32:54 PM »
I quite like the idea of you having Mr S trapped upstairs in the bedroom  >lol<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:35:44 PM »
Oo-er missus..

I'm watching Celebrity Big Brother (a guilty pleasure of mine..)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »
I'm watching an old episode of The Apprentice on Youtube, which possibly out-guiltys CBB. I know it's wrong, but I just can't stop ...  >blush<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:46:02 PM »
I've been, or soon will be, invited to an traditional Indian wedding. I have never been to one before; I think the couple are Muslim.  What on earth do I wear, and what sort of present would be appropriate?  Anyone any ideas?

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »
Auntie I would suggest making sure if you are uncertain as to whether the couple are in fact Muslim because if not an embarrassing incident could ensue. I once mistook some Indian friends for Muslim when in fact they where Hindu and they were not best pleased.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
Well Dic, I plan to sit on the sidelines and watch what is going on.  I have no idea what to say and I do not expect to have to do anything.  If I have to go up and greet the couple I will just copy what others are doing, but I have no idea what to say to them.  I do know that there will be two parties, one for her and one for him.

What did you do? or is that too embarrassing for you to say?

Batsgirl

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
    • This Is My Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
First, wait for the invitation. It may have more information on it than you think.

Be warned that if they're Sikh, the ceremonies and celebrations are spread over three days - you might need to steer a tactful course for spoon-preservation.

If the invitation doesn't have the clues you need, ask the couple, or whoever has invited you. It will not have escaped their notice that you're not part of the same religion or culture as them. You are not expected to suddenly know all. Your other option would be to ask the venue for guidance on appropriate behaviour, dress, etc.

Copying others might not work. For instance, if you were at a christian wedding mass but you were not christian, it could be inappropriate to follow all the believers up to the altar for communion.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:16:46 AM »
"If the invitation doesn't have the clues you need, ask the couple, or whoever has invited you. It will not have escaped their notice that you're not part of the same religion or culture as them. You are not expected to suddenly know all. Your other option would be to ask the venue for guidance on appropriate behaviour, dress, etc."

My closest female friend is a Muslim. When she got married (in a register office) I went to that and also the reception, held in a curry house. I don't do curry and she knows it so I and a small (white) boy were the only ones to be given an alternative - pizza and chips. Fair enough.

There was no alcohol of course, which seems quite puzzling to some of my non-Muslim mates. "How can you possibly have a wedding without alcohol?'' said one. Quite easily I replied, but then my attitude to alcohol is that I can take or leave it, and usually opt for the latter.

Not that all Muslims abstain totally. I have another female friend who has now found herself living back with her parents in her 40s. If I go out with her she'll have a few glasses of wine and then eat extra strong mints all the way home so they don't notice. Hmm, I bet they do. It's like a lass I used to know who told me she was a teenage smoker but didn't want her parents to find out, so she'd come in through the back door, scoop a handful of sugar out of the bowl in the kitchen and swallow it as she went into the living room. Honestly, she might as well have been wearing a t-shirt saying: "I've just had a fag!"

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »
Incidentally, she now has a two-year-old daughter. They came round earlier this week and her daughter is fascinated by my home phone (it's a replica Trimphone, almost the same as our family's first ever phone from 1976 - I loved that phone) and likes to mess around on it. So I let her. Unfortunately this time she somehow managed to press the buttons to dial 999...

huhn

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
tip for a present, most times they  get money, but small private presents are always welcome

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
I watched a bit of CBB last night but could not get into. I cant stand Lauren Harries.

I think Apprentice re runs do outguilty CBB but then again the earlier series of the Apprentice were better.

The Asian wedding replies are interesting.

Hurtyback,

>biggrin<

Seegee,

The Winchat is very pretty.
Unfortunately rarely get birds landing in the garden because there are a lot of cats around albeit we dont get cats in the garden either because of the dogs. We do get pigeons sitting high in the willow tree which sends Megs wappy barking at the window then out the dog flap.

AccessOfficer

• Charter Member and Volunteer Building Regs and Inclusive Design
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »
Friday night is beer night. I don't drink during the week when I have to go to work the next day. Got an extra nights beer from the supermarket at lunch time as it's a Bank Holiday weekend.
Hey ho happy days.
AO