Author Topic: Charge for single use carrier bags to be introduced.  (Read 2520 times)

AccessOfficer

• Charter Member and Volunteer Building Regs and Inclusive Design
Charge for single use carrier bags to be introduced.
« on: September 17, 2013, 08:53:10 AM »
Organisations: Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs and Deputy Prime Minister's Office
Page history: Updated 14 September 2013.

"A five pence mandatory charge for single use carrier bags will be introduced from Autumn 2015, the Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, announced today.

Last year, over seven billion carrier bags were issued by supermarkets in England. Far too many ended up in landfill or scattered around our streets and rivers killing wildlife and costing tax-payers millions of pounds to clean-up."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/plastic-bag-charge-set-to-benefit-the-environment

Regards
AO

Prabhakari

Re: Charge for single use carrier bags to be introduced.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »
It will increase shopping expenses for some.

I have got two choices for Home shopping delivery.
One is with carrier bags.
The other is without.

If I choose to do without, the method is to deliver the shopping in large green containers, which are left for the customer to sort out.
I cannot do this, so have to accept carrier bags.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

WheeledTraveler

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »
I think actually charging is ridiculous, especially as a bit of national legislation. It's even worse when you think about situations like Prab's. If home delivery of shopping in the UK is like it is here, they use far more carrier bags than you would if you were shopping in the shop. I notice that the government seems to think the shops will voluntarily donate the money to charity. When did a large privately-owned company ever voluntarily donate potential profit just because the government suggested it?

Have any of the supermarkets in the UK tried doing the "we take x amount for every reusable bag you bring and use yourself"? It's quite popular over here and seems to work well. Most people I know actually do try to bring reusable bags with them when they go shopping (just keep them in their cars, generally). One of my the shops near me actually gives you options: either they give you a discount per bag, or they give you a choice of local charities to donate to (they have several containers for local charities, give you a token per bag and you put the token(s) in the charity/charities you'd like to support).

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »
I think it's a good idea. Tesco let you keep the crates and return them when your next delivery comes. Landfill is awful and this has reduced it by 75% both in Ireland and Wales since they introduced charges.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
When I get a large amount of prescriptions it comes in an anonymous green plastic bag.  Will the chemist have to charge as well?

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
My local COOP has been charging for years.  It took a while to get used to it but I do now nearly always remember to take my own bags with me.

Prabhakari

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 02:45:16 AM »
I strongly dislike being forced to get so many plastic bags.
They are useful for rubbish, though.
Being stronger than the usual black bag, they do not split open.
Bless 'em all, bless 'em all,
The long and the short and the tall.

stalwart

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
So, 5p a bag.  How much will actually go to charity...............
cost of bag
administration cost  (the supermarkets will not be doing this for nothing)
will it be subject to vat?

Why not improve on the us method of having paper bags?  But with handles, they are re-usable and can be recycled.

Fizzbw

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:13:11 AM »
I live in Wales and the change to no plastic bags has been fine. I don't know what home delivery do, but I'm sure there will be a way around it.

As for the pharmacy, mine, which is attached to the surgery doles out just as many plastic bags at no cost.

And the 5ps do go to charity, but you usually have to ask the shop who too. Whether they ultimately do I don't know, but have hear nothing to suggest it doesn't. But now very few do need bags.

It's the kind of thig everyone grumbles about (I'm not including cases like Prabs etc) and after 6 months doing it no one minds and forgets that they ever did grumble.

But for it to be an important thing when so much else is going on is sublimely ridiculous.

Fx

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
I think the only thing that will bug me about that will be one aspect of my Ocado deliveries - the cat litter.  I get a delivery about once a month for the heavy stuff and do more frequent shopping at local shops for fresh groceries.  I always think it's just plain daft to put a cat litter bag that weighs approximately a stone and has a nice strong handle into a bag that isn't really strong enough to take the weight.  What good to me are torn carrier bags? 

I like Ocado because they deliver upstairs and it has to be said that their big bags are wonderful for catlitter.  (I put fresh litter down every day and put the used litter into a pedal bin liner and then about a week's worth of those go in an Ocado bag.)

I currently don't like the wastage when there are torn bags because I like to recycle, but if I'm paying, I shall probably feel even more niggly until I get used to paying for them and mentally write it off as part of the cost of delivery.

AccessOfficer

• Charter Member and Volunteer Building Regs and Inclusive Design
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
I shall be selling slightly used carrier bags for 4 pence each at work.

Regards
AO

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
 >lol< Sweet  >cool<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 12:46:59 PM »
I might be willing to buy them at thruppence. >biggrin<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
We've had a 5p charge for single use carrier bags in Northern Ireland since April, and you'll be pleased to hear that the world hasn't come to an end ;-)

The DoE (Department for the Environment) we're pretty up-front about saying they were strapped for cash and were using the 'bag tax' for revenue-raising. I don't have a problem with that to be honest.