Author Topic: On ESA/DLA home owner taking lodger-benefits reduction  (Read 3227 times)

opb1612

On ESA/DLA home owner taking lodger-benefits reduction
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
I am in receipt of DLA middle care and ESA.  I own my house and I have a spare bedroom which I would like to renting out to a lodger.

I need a lodger for company and also to help me with house work and for safety reasons.

How would this affect my ESA (income related) and my housing benefits which is only 50 per month?

I keep getting conflicting replies from different sources, but apparently it seems you have to jump first before finding how deep the water is.  I cannot afford to lose my benefits because I am ill.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 05:22:20 PM by SunshineMeadows »

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: On ESA/DLA home owner taking lodger-benefits reduction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
Opd welcome to Ouch Too.

Taking in a lodger and no longer living alone could affect the about of ESA you are getting if you at the moment you get a Severe Disability Premium. SDP is paid to people who get Income based ESA live alone, get middle rate care DLA and do not have a carer getting Carers Allowance.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severedisabilitypremium.aspx

I think to rent to a lodger you are supposed to get permission from either your landlord or mortgage company.

Also you have to be careful about renting if the person is a friend and they need to get housing benefit because depending on where you live eg which local council they may not get any housing benefit because they are classed as friend not lodger.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
... Severe Disability Premium. SDP is paid to people who get Income based ESA live alone, get middle rate care DLA and do not have a carer getting Carers Allowance.

Although 'living alone' for the purposes of SDP is not living physically by yourself, rather whether you're living with someone as man and wife. I live in a shared house, but was awarded SDP, because I am able to demonstrate that neither housemate is my partner.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
NN,

Although 'living alone' for the purposes of SDP is not living physically by yourself, rather whether you're living with someone as man and wife. I live in a shared house, but was awarded SDP, because I am able to demonstrate that neither housemate is my partner.

Thank you for adding that  >thumbsup<.

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »
I would expect the income from the lodger to affect income-related ESA

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
I'm a bit concerned that I might lose the single occupancy discount on my Council Tax.

Monic1511

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:49:43 PM »
Hi

"I need a lodger for company and also to help me with house work and for safety reasons."
if you want someone to help with housework wouldn't it be cheaper to buy in something like molly maid cleaning services.   For safety reasons can you ask social services/social work for an alert system.

"How would this affect my ESA (income related) and my housing benefits which is only 50 per month?"

Your income would reduce by whatever amount you charge the lodger with a probably disregard of 20,
your council tax would rise & your fuel bills will probably rise.  So you may end up with no mortgage interest relief (housing benefits)  Using the figure of 50 a month this works out at 11.53 a week, so you may lose all of that.   

I would suggest you contact cab/welfare rights for a benefit check or a what if calculation.  You may end up with someone in your house but you have no money except their contribution and the DLA.

best wishes
Monic

devine63

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:40:40 AM »
"I'm a bit concerned that I might lose the single occupancy discount on my Council Tax."

Hi Auntie

if you get a student as a lodger I think they should be not counted for Council Tax purposes - but do check,  as the rules might have changed.
regards, Deb
regards, Deb

[devine63]