Author Topic: News of members and former members: by Deb (Devine 63)  (Read 18591 times)

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Re: News of members and former members: by Deb (Devine 63)
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the 'update' Yvette, I hope you will soon feel on the road to a full recovery.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
"Any news of Mentalas (Pete) ?"

Well I was friends with him on Facebook and we used to regularly comment on each other's stuff. Then he suddenly vanished from my timeline. I don't usually even notice if someone does that but in this case I did, so sent him a message asking if I'd offended him. He said no and also said he hadn't defriended me either but was having some problem with his prescriptions. I left it at that, but if he sent me another friend request I'd accept it.

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 08:04:44 PM »
I feel contractually obliged to point out that losing weight does not necessarily make a difference to risk of dying...

Deb gained weight because of her health conditions and medication.  Her medication was changed so she lost weight, but it didn't mean her health conditions had changed...

:-(

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »
I didn't realise I was so honoured that pete managed to find me again when he got his Facebook sorted out  :-) I see he found myrtlemaid as well  >thumbsup< He made me some excellent artwork for my homepage  >cool< 

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »
Thank you all so much for your much appreciated good wishes and welcome back.

I love you all so much.   >heart<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
We love you too Yvette, well, those of us that love you do, anyway!!  >lol<

Yvette

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
 >blush<

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »
Yvette is back! Yay!   >cool<  >biggrin<   >hugs<
 My goodness, you have been through it with your health, Yvette. I am so pleased that you felt well enough to let us know and to see Sir C.  Several  friends have had asthma and it is so scary. One of my friends is badly asthmatic. We did a college course together some years ago, she had to go home one  day because the air freshener the cleaner sprayed in the ladies set her off and she was so ill. You seem similarly affected.

Oral thrush must be agony. My son had it when he was a tiny baby.
Gentian violet is an extremely old fashioned remedy for thrush,  but it worked for him and it is still available, as it is very effective.
 It did mean that we had a purple mouthed baby for a while. Plus purple stains on cot and pram sheets that never came out.  It didn't matter, it was the only thing that worked and he wasn't in pain.

Sir C., I have to rejig my mental picture of you now. This is not easy. The pink tutu is a hard mental image to remove.  >biggrin<
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

SirCumference

• Charter Member
  • On the other side
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »
I may do a new slimline avatar, but I'll have to change my name.

I'm thinking of venturing into Facebook. I was forced to join a few years ago, when a friend's memorial was all being done through Facebook  >yikes< , but it scares me.

I used to get bonkers friendship requests from people I have known for years, and a colleague can't even fart without telling his Facebook friends about it.

Apparently, he says, it is my fault. I must have agreed to let him into my Facebook life at some point/ join his group.

Fb wanted to know such crap about me that I ran out of patience with them last night. I'm probably not the FB type / target audience.  >biggergrin< >crying< >confused<
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:54:02 PM by SirCumference »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »
I'm on Facebook, but only because there are a few clubs that I wanted to join and they only do Facebook.  Be very careful.  Whatever you write can be read by all sorts.  And I too get fed up with friends requests.  I never respond.  Every 'friend' can read everything you write and it stays there for ever more.  *gnashes teeth*

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2014, 10:05:10 AM »
All the stuff that SirCumference and AuntieCtheM don't trust/don't like about Facebook are the things I like about it. The sheer randomness mainly. Friend requests from people you've never heard of/knew years ago but haven't thought about since then. I accept them all (except from one person I knew as a teenager and couldn't stand) and never defriend anyone (except, again, for one person, who got on my tits in real life).

All my settings are public. I don't keep anything on Facebook secret. Can't see the point of that*. If you're going to be on it you might as well really be on it. I did delete a couple of posts earlier this year (for legal reasons basically) but apart from that...

Now Twitter, although I'm nominally on it, I rarely look at it let alone post anything on it. I just don't get the appeal of that at all.

(*I suppose this comes from my journalism days. Even working for a local newspaper you learn that there isn't any point trying to hide anything. I was so shy when I started that I even considered asking if I could do it under a false name. But that got beaten out of me pretty quickly).

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »
But having said that, there is an awful lot of crap on it. The attention-seeking disguised as making an important point stuff, the constant pity me stuff, the hectoring of those who don't agree with someone else's statements stuff. All human life is there, and I use it mainly for messing about on, so other people are welcome to write whatever they want as long as they don't interfere with what I write on it.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »
The attention-seeking disguised as making an important point stuff, the constant pity me stuff, the hectoring of those who don't agree with someone else's statements stuff.

Ah... not so dissimilar to message boards, then  ;-)

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
Indeed. Although I've only had two proper rows in my six years or so on Facebook. One with a guy I know from university who out of nowhere wrote a post about how people on benefits  shouldn't be allowed to have pets and the other with someone who I helped get work experience with at the paper a few years ago, after I posted a clip of dogs jumping on trampolines. Apparently the poor beasts would have been terrified and I was promoting animal cruelty. I told her that I'd never heard so much shit in my life. We're still 'friends' on Facebook but haven't been in any sort of contact since.

Some of my 'friends' on there do have views that I object to but that's up to them. Although I did call a friend of a 'friend' a racist a couple of years ago for going on about 'gingers' and dared him if he was so brave to write something similar about people with a different skin colour to his. Surprise surprise he didn't.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »
I just do not have the energy or interest in other people's random ramblings.  OK if they have something useful to say, which is why I am in a couple of 'clubs'.  I need what energy and time I have to cope with life in general, there is little left over to make work for myself.