Author Topic: Blue Badge renewal? by standardCindy  (Read 1511 times)

OuchArchive2

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Blue Badge renewal? by standardCindy
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »
StandardCindy wrote

(Date Posted:24/10/2011 5:36 PM)

Help please,

How do you renew your blue badge?

xx

(see attachment for the rest of the Aimoo replies)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:02:10 PM by Ouch Too Archive »

Fiz

• Charter Member
Re: Blue Badge renewal? by standardCindy
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »
The form has greatly changed in 3 years. Now it's all about walking distance and breathlessness. No mention of pain or of limitation of movements.

Is this a general attempt to reduce the number of blue badge holders and what do people do who can sometimes walk a fair distance but other times can't leave the house due to pain or can walk a distance if they have to without getting breathless but it would cause them severe pain?

Or are these people no longer eligible as there are no questions that relate to these difficulties.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
Fiz
In response to public outrage about badge misuse the government has made the criteria the same nationwide.  You qualify automatically if you have high rate mob or enhanced mobility but if you need an assessment then you need to meet the virtually unable to walk.   The transport Scotland website has the criteria in Scotland, I think it's the gov.uk website for the rest of uk https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge

Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
Yes I realise that but it leaves out reams of people who cannot get to places without a blue badge. I have a friend with breast cancer mets in her lower spine and one shoulder and her walking distance exceeds the required distance but because she cannot get in or out of her car without the door fully wide open so she can turn herself fully without twisting before standing or sitting cannot go to supermarkets etc because she needs a disabled place just to get in and out of her car. Her mets were picked up 4 years ago so she doesn't meet the 6 month rule. I just think the changes are too much and are negatively impacting vulnerable people and isolating people. It just feels like more cuts for the disabled. It shouldn't just be on walking distance alone in my opinion, there are other mobility reasons that people cannot access venues and need the blue badge. She is appealing but seeing the application forms,  I don't think on paper she qualifies and yet her pain is intense.

huhn

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 06:25:19 PM »
the other  thing is ,  with  children who have small motoric problems  you do not get  the blue badge, but  you need  also open the door  complete or the other cars get dents in it. nobody thinks of this problem

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »
I never said the changes were correct, we had a speaker at our meeting recently just on this because we had people with cancer being refused cos they don't have the proper benefits, we were told to ask for an assessment and ask for reconsideration of the decision  >steam< As is we don't have enough hassle to put up with without having to do blue badge reconsideration as well

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 08:10:02 AM »
Yes, it's sad and another shocking cut to the disabled. It must be so hard for you to be at the back end of it coping with the fallout Monic  >hugs<