Author Topic: Faithful friend thread by Darrowsgirl  (Read 250677 times)

Rosie

• Charter Member
Re: Faithful friend thread by Darrowsgirl
« Reply #2655 on: May 17, 2017, 11:22:28 AM »
I tried to take Tikva to go out for walks with me on my little scooter but she is so strong for such a little tiddler that she almost pulled me over.  No good trying with my electric wheelchair as the joystick and controls are on the right arm, and as we drive on the right I cannot go on the left, holding her leash with my left hand.

Which leaves The Silver Monster but she hops up either on the footplate or on my lap!

Little booga!  >biggrin<
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2656 on: May 17, 2017, 11:48:02 AM »
AndMac - Belated Happy Birthday wishes!  >bubbly< >gift< >cake<

Sunshine - great photo!

Huhn-  >bighugs< >bighugs< Sometimes people undertake good works to satisfy some psychological need of their own. It may be that the women you encountered fall into that group.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2657 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Huhn,

I used your post to start a new thread http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=9909.msg130167#msg130167
 >bighugs<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2658 on: July 31, 2017, 08:43:16 PM »

A man takes his Rottweiler to the vet. 'My dog is cross-eyed, is there anything you can do for him?'
'Well,' said the vet, 'let's have a look at him'
So he picks the dog up and examines his eyes, then he checks his teeth.
Finally, he says, 'I'm going to have to put him down.'
'What? Because he's cross-eyed?'

'No, because he's really heavy' 

ta da!

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2659 on: August 01, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »
I've just received the worst letter ever. The PDSA have always treated up to 3 pets to keep within their budget. I've often said to dd I'd never have a 4th pet because I'd always want to know they could access any health care they need in an emergency. Since then the PDSA changed their policy keeping it at 3 but only one could be a pedigree and I've seen the receptionist turn pets away because the pet is obviously pedigree even when the owner says it isn't.  That didn't affect me because only my dog is pedigree, the two cats are moggies. But today's letter says they will only be registering 1 pet from October.

Both cats have been treated for injuries or an abscess on a few occasions, Tizzie for recurring ear infections as she produces too much ear wax which breeds bacteria even though I clean in her ears regularly and use drops to loosen the wax. She's had them syringed under GA.

There's no way I could ever in a million years part with Tizzie. I live alone and she's my constant companion. So I'm thinking that for the wellbeing of the cats, so that I know they will always get the vet treatment they need, I need to rehome them to someone who can afford to give them all the care they need. I know that I will find it hard losing them and I'm thinking the best thing would be to give them to the RSPCA which is 30 miles away because I think if I found them a home locally they may come back here circumventing dual carriageway on route so they need a new area.

Harder than losing them will be telling dd. Obviously she's at Uni and so isn't here all the time like she was but one strong autistic trait she has is an inability to cope with change. She usually gets really angry. I am dreading telling her. She has a 2 week break in August one whole week of which will be here and I aim to talk to her then.

Because I have no car and the PDSA is the far side of a city I don't live in I've had to rely on others to provide lifts for me and the cats when they've been injured and it's always been tricky arranging an available appointment at a time when someone is able to take me.

I'm absolutely gutted and am totally dreading telling dd. I've up to October to rehome them though as that's when the new PDSA rules come in.  >crying< 

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2660 on: August 01, 2017, 03:10:50 PM »
 >bighugs<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2661 on: August 01, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
 >bighugs<

I did not know there was a limit to the number of pets the PDSA and thought iti was all worked out on the basis of household income. It is a good thing you posted about it here. I have talked about the vet practice we used to go to it was expensive and in my opinion incompetant. Had already suggested a new vets in town so when Bran broke his leg we took him. He was seen immediately and they took what might be seen as an old school approach of setting the leg not pinning it. It cost less than we expected and was a big relief. Have you watched the show the Yorkshire vet even if the cats still have to be rehomed it is worth trying to find a vet like that. (correction you already said the PDSA will register one pet so that is Tizzis sorted )

Is your daughter liekly to get a job after university maybe she could afford to take the cats on?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:02:10 PM by SunshineMeadows »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2662 on: August 01, 2017, 05:43:22 PM »
She'll get a job for sure but she just has a room in someone else's house and won't be able to rent her own place for years. Right this minute I have 4p in my bank account, 1.20 in my purse and notification from my bank today to say they've been unable to pay two of my direct debits so even a vet on the cheaper side isn't an option. I have come to terms with it though I'm sure I will grieve losing them at the time and for a while afterwards. I really hope dd understands that I really have no choice. I'm less upset than earlier, it was just that the letter was an awful shock and what the changes mean.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #2663 on: August 01, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
Is it one pet per person or per address? I'm just thinking that one pet could be registered in your daughter's name? Or could she afford to pay for vets bills, even if she doesn't physically take the cats? If not, then the RSPCA will look after them - we got all our pets from various rescues and they do their best for all the animals they get. Pets that have been gifted in rather than found as strays are usually rehomed quite quickly I think. I'm sorry that it's come to this for you, though. 

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2664 on: August 01, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »
At least they were decent enough to let you know.  When the Blue Cross changed their policy on which pets they would treat they only told us at the reception desk when we took our pets in.  A lot of people were very upset, me included.  You are lucky that they have given you notice so you can get organised.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2665 on: August 01, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
That's very true Auntie.

DG a pet has to be taken in by its owner and she's away at Uni a lot plus she wouldn't qualify for their care because she doesn't receive housing benefit which is the key to accessing their care. My very first cat came from the RSPCA and he was lovely. I just hope they can be rehomed together as they're brother and sister from the same litter and are very close. Thankfully both times I've been detained the social services have put them in a cattery and they settled really well straight away, not going off their food or going reclusive like some cats do. If it weren't for those two occasions I wouldn't have known they'd be fine in a cattery for a while as I've never put them in one. I wonder if the RSPCA let you know they've been rehomed happily. I'd hate to think of them in the cattery for extended times.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #2666 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »
I don't think they let you know, but a friend phoned occasionally to check on a cat she gave up and they did tell her. Or I guess you could keep an eye on their website list of available pets.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2667 on: August 02, 2017, 04:02:51 PM »
Fiz,

What breed of dog is Tizzie?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2668 on: August 03, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
She's a Golden Retriever. I could never be without her, she's always there for me. So are the layers of dog hair on the carpet. She'll be my last dog as I am rarely well enough to give her the exercise she needs. She's very precious.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2669 on: August 03, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »
I love golden retrievers.  They have loving eyes and soft fur and are very loyal.  My last doggie had a bit of golden retriever in her.