Author Topic: Looking for help from someone experienced in launching campaigns  (Read 1342 times)

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
I am trying to get some kind of campaign or similar off the ground but I'm having trouble with where to start. It's one of those things where it's not one single person or body's responsibility and everyone says it's the other person who has to fix it.

I have a plug-in hybrid car and despite 100% of all the infrastructure to support hybrids being siginificantly post-EA, there is a huge problem with access to public charge points. I've contacted the people who manufacture them and they say they make 'em accessible when they leave the factory (I disagree, but according to their own ideas of what access means, they're fine). So I contacted the public charge point administrators who all said it's up to each site where they place them. I contacted the installers and asked what's involved in a site survey before a public charge point can be placed, and they said that pretty much so long as there's electricity then it's up to the people who install them. I want to make sure that the site survey has to include disabled access otherwise they will install more and more inaccessible units, but nobody wants to be involved. I've also written to Motability to ask their help and Disabled Motoring to see if they will come on board but so far so big fat naff all. And I contacted my local councillors and the Office for Low Emisison Vehicles because if there's a government grant going into paying for these things they will probably have some inferred duty to ensure it's being spent on units which comply with the law.

So that's where I'm up to so far, but I don't know how to turn myself, one person, into a campaign. How do I make other people care about the same issue? Make myself heard by people who are desperately trying not to hear me? I can't make a petition for something that's already the law to be changed to become the law!

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Looking for help from someone experienced in launching campaigns
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
Just found this if it helps at all:-

https://www.zap-map.com/live/

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
I have that, it's a mapping service for finding charging points, but there's no indication on any of them which are accessible (almost none!) and they're not centrally owned by ZapMap, that's purely a mapping service, just like Google maps shows the roads but it doesn't have any reponsibility for roads. I need to be able to contact people who are thinking about getting a service installed and prevent them from putting it up on a plinth, which is a virtually universal practice at the moment. Ideally in such a way that I'm not individually responsible for contacting everyone all by myself!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:34:31 PM by RoseRodent »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Have you tried your MP?  How about the Green Party for the environmental improvement such cars can bring?  Then there is the Cheshire ..(cannot remember what they call themselves) or other disability charity.  They might take it up as a mobility issue on your behalf.

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 11:30:56 AM »
The MP site is very clear that you should not write to your MP about transport (no idea why!) and I also have the problem that transport is a devlolved issue but this is a national problem so I think I'm only entitled to tell my MSP. Anyway, I wrote to them all, MP, MSP, regional MSP and councillors and got mostly auto replies that they're "very concerned about <insert issue> and will certainly to <unspecified thing> about <issue> in due course" so all in all a total waste of time.

I did get one response which half seemed to have read my letter but it was mostly about "Yes I think there should be more charge points, I'm looking at increasing the number of charge points so there is better access to them" so I think they missed the point entirely.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »
I expect you've already thought of this but have you tried the equality advisory support service? http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 06:36:40 PM »
Have you written back to the one that was half interested giving more details and maybE a photograph of what you mean?

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 02:20:55 PM »
Good ideas, thanks. Both are sadly localised because I live in Scotland, and I have more trouble with this discrimination happening to be outside Scotland than within it. You have to report to where you live, which is craziness. I will write back to the councillor with some interest and make sure he gets it. Almost all my photos of bad access are located outside the city, I'll have to drive around and get more local ones.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
We have had a number of charging points installed in our town, but as I don't use them I haven't observed them closely.

What exactly is it that makes them inaccessible as I would like to see if ours have similar problems.

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Usually placed on a plinth with a curb in excess of 15cm, often there's a metal barrier around at wheelchair level preventing close enough access to swipe the card. Swipe points can be above head height to a wheelchair user. Almost never is there space to the side of the car for a wheelchair user to get out. Cables can be too short to allow access to the boot to remove a mobility aid. Some catches are very hard to press, unnecessarily so as there's also a design which is easier.

Many combine several of these problems, with the worst so far having a plinth, barrier, high swipe point, additional cone, short cable, narrow parking bay AND bad plug design! This kind of thing (hope it is visible).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1092288780831683&l=168edd0230
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1092288800831681&l=68927d3077

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:06:41 PM by RoseRodent »

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »
Thanks. I'll take a look at ours next time I'm in town.

Unfortunately facebook won't let me view your links.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 08:25:20 PM »
I cannot see the links either RoseR.

RoseRodent

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »
Annoying. I have followed all the instructions for "Share a photo with someone who doesn't have a facebook account" and it used to work, but now it's not any more, I can't link it across to another browser or anything. Try these:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ct09qa0jrxetpe/IMAG0733.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/scfo54ok9e3fyce/IMAG0763.jpg?dl=0

In the top one, know that the hatch markings are not disabled car parking or to mark where you cannot park, they are to mark the area for electric vehicles only. Other people can park on those markings. So I would be in the hatched area, right up against the Edinburgh College car which is in the picture. ON this unit, the place where you swipe your membership card and tell it which charger you want is the little black screen at the side, so you need to be up on the curb where it's grass, behind the metal bollard and the plastic cone. The second one I think is self-explanatory!

It will pop up with a login box, but don't worry about it, there is a "don't login, just view the image" option underneath.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:25:04 PM by RoseRodent »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 10:09:33 PM »
Yes, the problem is obvious isn't it.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 09:45:52 AM »
I think those in my town are not unlike the arrangements in the second link. I'll take a closer look next time I am in that part of town.