Author Topic: IBS what works  (Read 3808 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: IBS what works
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 07:55:23 AM »
Palm oil!  Not something I've come across but then haven't really been looking...

It's one of the few vegetable fats that is naturally semi solid at room temperature, so is becoming increasingly common in foods such as margarine and bakery products since the move away from hydrogenated vegetable fats. It's also quite envrionmentally unsustainable stuff, so it's good to have an added inventive to avoid it!

>biggrin<  and I was just about to write, 'glad you're gradually getting to the bottom of it, NN'... >doh<

>biggergrin<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
I don't have IBS but I do have a rather unhappy sigmoid colon.  I suspect, but don't know, that the problem is diverticulosis, which is pretty common as people get older.

Anyway, a few years back I chanced upon something about pressure points and there was something about pressing just bellow the navel roughly on the solar plexus.  The idea is that you wiggle your finger around a bit and it gets things relaxed but moving.

In due course, I tried a bit of prodding and rubbing etc. here and there.

I don't mostly have a problem with it, but if my ascending, transverse & descending colon are unhappy, I make firm, smoothing movements up, across and down.

However, for me personally, I found a spot next to the front of my hip that if gently but firmly pressed when I'm lying down seems to sort things out a bit where my sigmoid colon is concerned.  It encourages wind to work its way out, but I think that's just a side effect of encouraging gentle, natural movement.

That's a rather long-winded way of saying that if you haven't tried it, next time you're lying down, have a bit of a prod around and see whether applying pressure anywhere makes things a bit more comfortable.

After all, the bowel is supposed to contract smoothly and steadily like a snake gliding, and it can't do that without ripples of nerve signals.  Obviously, there are health professionals that know which nerves go where, but for most of us, it's just a question of trial and error to see whether we can do anything to affect ones that we've got problems with.

And if it doesn't work?  Well, you've at least had some diverting activity for a little while.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 08:16:37 PM »
Strange you should say that, Sunny, because my physio-terrorist swears by abdominal massage for IBS relief, and I've posted about it elsewhere in the form from time to time. 

In my case, IBS is massively complicated by pelvic neuralgia, which can in itself cause significant bowel problems as it progesses. Because I need to guard against triggering PN flares when massaging, physio and I are still trying to devise a programme that works for me. You have provided a very good, clear description of the basic general techniques, so thank you! >thumbsup<

leaf

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 03:14:52 PM »
Sunny, you've pretty much described my own massage, prodding, rubbing method to a tee, including that spot infront of the hip.
I have to remind myself to be gentle though, as I have rubbed a little too hard at times, and that seemed to stimulate some rather sharp stabbing painful spasms, which wasn't too nice.

Not sure what to suggest, I try to keep calm and relaxed about my bowel habits, i'm not sure I really have IBS, but I can't bear not being able to go and the blocked stagnant feeling that comes with it, then again the quick trots are the other end of the spectrum, never a happy medium, or very rarely. I'm fairly sure it's nerve related for me, not so much the gut, but general core muscle strength issue, and loss of sensation.

Someone else mentioned warmth helping, and I've used a nice warm water bottle before now. It's soothing if nothing else. I don't like to use meds, buscopan gives me a cracking headache, and senna tablets seem quite rough on my system. I have used peppermint tabs on occasion, can't think which brand it was. And peppermint tea can be quite soothing.

sparrow

• Bronze Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »
Hi, I don't know if this will help anyone but I've suffered from severe chronic bowel problems daily for over 25 yrs, and have tried pretty much all sorts but I've never seemed to have found a balance and everything is a bit hit and miss every day, and stomach pain is the norm.   

Rotational massage helps a little when following the line of the colon,  and heat pads can help with pain (I use the period pain stick on ones as they last a lot longer).  Also one thing I did find is licorice seems to slow the amount of times spent running to the toilet. (also get to use as a sweetie ha).

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
Sorry to be bumping an old thread, but I'm now into my second week of taking peppermint oils capsules, and must say that they seem to be helping the cramps. They need to be taken 3 times daily, roughly an hour before food. They're worth giving a try.  >thumbsup<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
Glad you have found something that helps NN  >hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »
Thanks Hurty - so am I! They don't alleviate the cramps completely, but any improvement is welcome, so I'll take it.  >magic<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 11:35:52 PM »
Yes I find culpermin helpful too. I offer them to my children when they've got stomach cramps and they always reject them thinking peppermint oils can't do any good, but they really do.

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
As I get older I find that insoluble fibre is causing me a lot more problems.

I have a downstairs commode in the dining room (disguised with a throw over it) and boy is it useful if I have overdone the fruit and crispbreads, as my toilet is up a flight of incredibly steep stairs.
Just putting my foot on the high bottom step to go upstairs when the need is urgent is enough to trigger "evacuation procedures" usually.

So stuff five a day, I am still healthy enough on 3-4 a day or less.  I do still have to carry the commode pail upstairs to dispose of the contents but that's a minor thing.
Sometimes my tum and bowel just go 'Oh I can't be @rsed to digest this' regardless of what I have eaten and whoosh it through at high speed.

I like to settle my tummy with a mug or two of hot Oxo (made with a cube), which replaces both salt and water. I loathe sugar and salt rehydration mixes.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
 >bighugs<

i get that if I eat too much dairy.

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »
Sorry for bumping up an old post, but, I've found it helpful.  I've spent most of last night on an A&E ward at the local hospital.  I've been diagnosed with a partial bowel blockage.  Has anyone had this?  Did it eventually go away with laxido etc?  The pain in my lower right abodmen Has been terrible. I'm on strong opiates, such as oxynorm, and Amitriptyline etc. 

However, due to dire vitamin D levels, I'm a 7.  I was put onto 60,000 IU vitamin D meds, per week.  It caused my bowel issues.  I'm now in a catch 22 situation.  My vitamin D levels need to rise to an acceptable level, so, I can have a bisphosphonate infusion.  However, the GP at the hospital has taken me off them.  I'm sorry for always posting negative stuff.  I'm not looking for sympathy, I just need to get back to normal.  Thanks X

huhn

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »
everyone needs a place to moan. so do it, we listen and maybe one has a answer.all what I have is >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
I'm sorry for always posting negative stuff.  I'm not looking for sympathy, I just need to get back to normal.

Ally, there's no need to apologise at all. Sorry I don't have answers on this either, but please have some more  >bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

ally

• Diamond member
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 09:41:43 AM »
Thanks  >bighugs<  I'm recovering slowly.  I've stopped the vitamin D meds that caused the problems.  However, they've given me a much lower dosage to take.  I'm apprehensive trying anything else right now.  I really don't want to go through that again.  I'm enjoying the sunshine, and using that to raise my vitamin D levels.  It's a pity we didn't have more days of sunshine to boost vitamin D levels here in the UK. X