Author Topic: PIP Criteria and points 2016  (Read 3071 times)

Monic1511

PIP Criteria and points 2016
« on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:25 PM »
Hi Guys

More and more of you are being affected by the DLA PIP transfer and are asking about the PIP Points - I've pinched this from CAB's website as it gives the criteria and the points

It comes up as a PDF which should be at the bottom of the post.   
When you are completing or giving information to someone doing the form have in mind the criteria and remember you need 8 points to get Standard rate of either daily living or mobility and 12 points to get the enhanced rate.   You can only be awarded 1 criteria /point in each section so if you met 4c & 4d you would only get the points for the highest one of them not the combined total

You need to show you meet the criteria more than 50% of the time

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)   table of activities, descriptors and points
Daily Living Activities

1. Preparing food
a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided. 0
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2
c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. 2
d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2
e. Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4
f. Cannot prepare and cook food. 8

2. Taking nutrition
a. Can take nutrition unaided. 0
b. Needs  
(i) to use an aid or appliance to be able to take nutrition; or 
(ii) supervision to be able to take nutrition; or 
(iii) assistance to be able to cut up food.  2
c. Needs a therapeutic source to be able to take nutrition. 2
d. Needs prompting to be able to take nutrition. 4
e. Needs assistance to be able to manage a therapeutic source to take nutrition. 6
f. Cannot convey food and drink to their mouth and needs another person to do so. 10

3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition
a. Either  
(i) does not receive medication or therapy or need to monitor a health condition; or 
(ii) can manage medication or therapy or monitor a health condition unaided.  0
b. Needs either  
(i) to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage medication; or 
(ii) supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage medication or monitor a health condition.  1
c. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes no more than 3.5 hours a week. 2
d. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes more than 3.5 but no more than 7 hours a week. 4
e. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes more than 7 but no more than 14 hours a week. 6
f. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes more than 14 hours a week. 8

4. Washing and bathing
a. Can wash and bathe unaided. 0
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe. 2
c. Needs supervision or prompting to be able to wash or bathe. 2
d. Needs assistance to be able to wash either their hair or body below the waist. 2
e. Needs assistance to be able to get in or out of a bath or shower. 3
f. Needs assistance to be able to wash their body between the shoulders and waist. 4
g. Cannot wash and bathe at all and needs another person to wash their entire body. 8

5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence
a. Can manage toilet needs or incontinence unaided. 0
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage toilet needs or incontinence. 2
c. Needs supervision or prompting to be able to manage toilet needs. 2
d. Needs assistance to be able to manage toilet needs. 4
e. Needs assistance to be able to manage incontinence of either bladder or bowel. 6
f. Needs assistance to be able to manage incontinence of both bladder and bowel. 8

6. Dressing and undressing
a. Can dress and undress unaided. 0
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress. 2
c. Needs either - 
(i) prompting to be able to dress, undress or determine appropriate circumstances for remaining clothed; or 
(ii) prompting or assistance to be able to select appropriate clothing.  2
d. Needs assistance to be able to dress or undress their lower body. 2
e. Needs assistance to be able to dress or undress their upper body. 4
f. Cannot dress or undress at all. 8

7. Communicating verbally
a. Can express and understand verbal information unaided. 0
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to speak or hear. 2
c. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand complex verbal information. 4
d. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand basic verbal information. 8
e. Cannot express or understand verbal information at all even with communication support. 12

8. Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words
a. Can read and understand basic and complex written information either unaided or using spectacles or contact lenses. 0
b. Needs to use an aid or appliance, other than spectacles or contact lenses, to be able to read or understand either basic or complex written information. 2
c. Needs prompting to be able to read or understand complex written information. 2
d. Needs prompting to be able to read or understand basic written information. 4
e. Cannot read or understand signs, symbols or words at all. 8

9. Engaging with other people face to face
a. Can engage with other people unaided. 0
b. Needs prompting to be able to engage with other people. 2
c. Needs social support to be able to engage with other people. 4
d. Cannot engage with other people due to such engagement causing either  
(i) overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant; or 
(ii) the claimant to exhibit behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm to the claimant or another person.  8

10. Making budgeting decisions
a. Can manage complex budgeting decisions unaided. 0
b. Needs prompting or assistance to be able to make complex budgeting decisions. 2
c. Needs prompting or assistance to be able to make simple budgeting decisions. 4
d. Cannot make any budgeting decisions at all. 6

Mobility Activities
1. Planning and following journeys
a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0
b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4
c. Cannot plan the route of a journey. 8
d. Cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10
e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10
f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12

2. Moving around
a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0
b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided 4
c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8
d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10
e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12
f. Cannot, either aided or unaided,  
(i) stand; or 
(ii) move more than 1 metre.  12

Notice that it doesn't say walking for mobility and the 12 points for enhanced mobility is e and f so you need to be clear about how far you can repeatedly and reliably within a reasonable timescale move "no more than 20 meters"

Caselaw is changing all the time and each new decision can change the interpretation of each criteria so don't be too down when you read that
Hope that's helpful
Monic

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: PIP Criteria and points 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 06:48:04 PM »
Thank you for posting this, Monic  >tah< >thumbsup<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
Can we make this list into a sticky please so it does not disappear.

JLR2

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
Maybe it's just me but I can't for the life of me see anything in the PiP descriptors whereby a claimant can explain or express their problem with suicidal tendencies.  From what I have read it would appear to me like I will almost certainly lose my DLA middle rate care benefits.

Monic1511

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 08:14:34 PM »
JLR it's in the social engagement part that I would describe how the problems affect you.  I mean there's nothing there about someone recovering from chemo that ended over a year ago but they have awarded standard daily living and enhanced mob.  Pip awards ain't straightforward but I didn't post this to terrify you sorry
Monic

JLR2

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 08:20:19 PM »
Monic, I've just taken another quick squint at the descriptors and really I can't see or understand anything that would relate to s-tendencies. Much as I was saying in my posting regarding the isolation I feel these days I find myself contemplating suicide fairly regularly almost daily, it is just something that goes through my head as I sit watching time/the day passing. I'd say more but maybe it'd be better either through a pm or perhaps in conversation with a doc.

SashaQ

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »
The descriptors do look stark... 

I currently get middle rate DLA as well, but as I "only" need aids in the kitchen and bathroom, I would get 6 points... 

I guess it would just depend whether there is any room for negotiation about whether I do things like getting dressed the same as a non-disabled person or whether that would count if I am slower or something, even though I don't use any aids for that...

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:06:05 PM »
Can we make this list into a sticky please so it does not disappear.

Sorted  >thumbsup<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 08:08:27 AM »
Am I right to assume that anyone attending a face to face assessment would not qualify for mobility (just by getting there) 1e?

Even if they normally never/rarely go out? I doubt that would be believed so to be awarded those points it would inevitably mean a Tribunal if you can cope with it or giving up?

Monic1511

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
Hi Fiz

It would depend on the assessor's assessment of overwhelming distress, anyway you need 12 points to get enhanced mobility (high rate mob)

Don't give up yet

Monic

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »
Yes but that would mean the difference between getting standard mobility or nothing at all, just based on whether someone attends the f2f, if that's the case. I wouldn't expect anyone whose sole disability is MH would meet the criteria for enhanced. But I'm no expert. I'm just thinking I know a lot of people with extreme anxiety, a couple of which rarely ever leave their homes who have been in receipt of LRM with DLA but I'm doubtful they will meet the criteria for Standard PIP mobility if they manage to get to the f2f.

JLR2

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »
Seems to me that the government are pretty much intent on abolishing mobility altogether as such are the criteria to qualify for it I could imagine only a few thousand at most will qualify.

Monic1511

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 09:48:58 PM »
Your both right in a way as the redesigning of DLA into PIP was done to save money, but you both need to keep fighting, OK your cant get to a medical so start approaching your doctors for the supporting evidence that will allow you to insist on a home medical rather than say ok that's me screwed.

You might not believe I'm a pessimist but I'm also a stubborn bugger and will argue practically anything
Monic

JLR2

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »
''...and will argue practically anything'

Oh no you won't >biggrin<

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 10:26:42 AM »
Perhaps one need not despair totally just yet. There has been a lot of negative stories about PIP, no doubt fully justified, but there is good news too.

A friend of mine, with full DLA mobility award, recently had the dreaded transfer to PIP letter. He duly completed the forms and in a few weeks was called for the 'medical'.

He attended and was interviewed by the medic with another person in the room taking notes. The interview was not as stressful as he'd anticipated. Then about three of four weeks later he got his letter giving him 10 a year award and a slight increase in payment. Not sure if he can be recalled before then but nonetheless he was mighty relieved.

Curiously he'd actually learnt, indirectly, about a week before as he had confirmation of the change in respect of his housing benefit. The Local Authority must have a quick link to the DWP and be even more on the ball.

All in all a good outcome.