Author Topic: Switching to PIP  (Read 2028 times)

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
Switching to PIP
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:42:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've received a letter saying I need to switch to PIP soon. Is there anything I should do to prepare for this?

Thanks

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: Switching to PIP
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
Hi
Is it the letter telling you that if you want to get pip you need to phone to say yes I want to remain on disability benefits?

Before you fill in the form read the criteria and make sure you know what points you can get and what they are really asking, also make sure your doctors know your care needs now not several years ago.
 >x-fingers<

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:06:51 PM »
Hi Monic,

Yes it is. Apparently, I only have about two weeks until the deadline to contact them, so I'm hoping I'm not too late. I need to act quickly. What should I do now?

Monic1511

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
Phone and get the form, once the form arrives check the front cos you only get 2 weeks to return it.  Phone after 1 week and ask for an extension, you'll get another 2 weeks.  Start reading the criteria so you know what they are looking for, good luck

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »
How do I find the criteria?

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 11:56:24 AM »
Go the the CAB or get a welfare expert to fill the forms for you. Good luck

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 02:10:03 PM »

Monic1511

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »
If you go to the welfare rights section of the forum the criteria and points are pinned there, I'm on my tablet so can't easily copy and paste the link just now

here it is http://ouchtoo.org/index.php?topic=9650.0
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:16:29 PM by Monic1511 »

JLR2

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 10:16:49 AM »
I am a bit concerned regarding this issue. Maybe I don't need to be but to read that a letter arrives telling the person receiving it that 'they need to switch soon' would see me bin the letter as I'd be expecting a letter telling me my current benefit is ending and in order for me to continue claiming benefit for my disability I will be required to contact the DWP to claim for PiP. That of a letter telling me my area of the country is now part of the PiP scheme and only those claiming PiP will be allowed to claim for what was formerly their DLA benefits.

Norrin, is this letter a form or does it give instructions to the person getting it to phone the DWP?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
JLR2 I was previously awarded MRC and LRM for 3 years with DLA and have just been reassessed for PIP. My result was enhanced care and no mobility but this has left me slightly better off financially which surprised me. This award is also for 3 years. So I'd say, try not to panic, though I know that's hard.

meandmurphy

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
I am a bit concerned regarding this issue. Maybe I don't need to be but to read that a letter arrives telling the person receiving it that 'they need to switch soon' would see me bin the letter as I'd be expecting a letter telling me my current benefit is ending and in order for me to continue claiming benefit for my disability I will be required to contact the DWP to claim for PiP. That of a letter telling me my area of the country is now part of the PiP scheme and only those claiming PiP will be allowed to claim for what was formerly their DLA benefits.

Norrin, is this letter a form or does it give instructions to the person getting it to phone the DWP?

The letter I got said "your DLA is ending, if you want to claim PIP, ring and ask for the form" Nothing about switching.

My DLA was LRC and HRM indefinitely.

My PIP is enhanced rate daily care and enhanced rate moving about, and ongoing [ 10 years ] >biggrin<

JLR2

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 10:59:04 AM »
Hi Fiz, I'm just wondering, like no doubt many others are, when my area will face these changes. Between my being in Scotland and the Scottish government having some powers being in their hands and the fact that in a week or so I'll be over in Berlin. I have notified the DWP of my being out the country so I hope that's enough not to see them try to ask me to make any applications for Pip and at some point the S/Government will give some sort of idea as to just what they intend to do to folk in my positions benefits where they, the S/G, make changes.

I just don't know if it might be the case that the DWP are looking to pause their roll out of Pip in Scotland or it'll be just trouble as usual :-)

Thanks for that posting Meanandmurphy, make's things that bit easier for me given the way my heid works.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:22:10 AM »
They're doing all fixed DLA awards as their previous award ends (like mine) and all new applicants first. Only then will they begin to work through the indefinite awards so if your current DLA is indefinite, I'd try not to worry because it could well be ages yet.

JLR2

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »
''... it could well be ages yet''

Well if they could wait till I'm cold in my box I'd be happier. :-)

swift

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 09:57:07 PM »
They're doing all fixed DLA awards as their previous award ends (like mine) and all new applicants first. Only then will they begin to work through the indefinite awards so if your current DLA is indefinite, I'd try not to worry because it could well be ages yet.

Mine is/was indefinite HRC/HRM, but I was invited to apply for PIP a couple of weeks ago.