Author Topic: state pension/GMP  (Read 1156 times)

mohhhh

• Gold Member
state pension/GMP
« on: October 02, 2016, 08:02:05 PM »
Hi guys hope all is well.

I am abit confused regarding my GMP and state pension.

Recently turned 65 and started to get my state pension which is around £140 odd quid a week and I get £40 occupation pension and the rest is topped up by pension credit total is £237.00 as we are a couple. This is all above board and we are happy with this.

This week I have received a letter from my occupational pension to say as I have reached state pension age I will be getting a total of £107 gmp per week monthly total of£428.

Now I am totally confussed!!

What will happen with my state pension now will they reduce the amount I am getting?
Please can someone shed some light on this matter please???

Thank you so much.

Monic1511

Re: state pension/GMP
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:33:51 PM »
Sorry what's GMP?

mohhhh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:12:41 PM »
Gurantee minimum pension

Monic1511

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:25:25 PM »
Ok
The U.K. Couple rate for the state pension is £237.55 per week, is your partner on disability benefits? I ask because if you are both on DLA middle rate care or high rate care and both have underlying entitlement to carers allowance then your applicable amount goes up to £428.90

Basic amount                         £237.55
SDP x 2 £61.85 =.                 £123.70
2 X carers premium £34.60 =.  £69.20

Total £428.90
Does that make sense? SDP is severe disability premium
Monic

mohhhh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:46:56 PM »
Partner has no disability,  the gmp is being paid by my works pension.

Monic1511

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »
if the pension is paid by a private pension then the dwp will decide on your applicable amount and if your income is less than this they top it up, they don't cap your pension cos your getting too much.

Does your partner get underlying entitlement to carers allowance?  Ifyes then your applicable amount will be £237.55 + Carers Premium £34.60 =  £272.15 if not its back to the £237.55
 what the dwp pension service do is say this couple needs £237.55, they have coming in £140SRP plus occ Pen £107= £247 so no pension credit would be paid as income is above the applicable amount - if you have more than the government says you need and you get housing benefit you need to inform the housing council tax benefit section who will probably bill you for rent and council tax.

if that's too confusing go to cab or welfare rights as its awkward explaining this on a written format

Big Muff

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 09:53:47 PM »
Hi guys hope all is well.

I am abit confused regarding my GMP and state pension.

Recently turned 65 and started to get my state pension which is around £140 odd quid a week and I get £40 occupation pension and the rest is topped up by pension credit total is £237.00 as we are a couple. This is all above board and we are happy with this.

This week I have received a letter from my occupational pension to say as I have reached state pension age I will be getting a total of £107 gmp per week monthly total of£428.

Now I am totally confussed!!

What will happen with my state pension now will they reduce the amount I am getting?
Please can someone shed some light on this matter please???

Thank you so much.
GMP is basically part of state Retirement Pension paid by the occupational scheme(s) you earned it at. ,To top up basic RP an earnings related top up was introduced which was State earnings related pension (SERPs) and / or its successor Additional Pension (both referred to as additional pension now) which when a member of a occupational scheme it is paid by said scheme rather than through the state pension .
For some reason that escapes me you would normally see on a RP breakdown or forecast that the GMP is slightly less than the AP.
i.e
AP £50.54
GMP £50.31

scratches head