Author Topic: How do I know  (Read 2546 times)

Rosie

• Charter Member
How do I know
« on: October 07, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
How do I know if I am suffering from dementia?  Or Altzheimers?    I feel normal but I forget things. 

There is food in my refrigerator but I do not remember buying and I know I did not eat them but I know I fed my puppy at the times she needs feeding  because it is on an alarm on my computer. 

But I do not know if it is age or something more serious.  And I a frightened.  Too many falls recently as well  and I am scared.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
Re: How do I know
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »
Step One: Don't panic.
Step Two: Get an appointment with your GP's surgery to talk about Dementia/Alzheimers.  Make sure that they note down why you want the reason.
Step Three: Don't panic.
Step Four: Write the date and time on your calendar, computer, phone, fridge and a note by the bed.
Step Five: Don't panic.  (Do you see a pattern emerging here?)
Step Six: Relax, try not to worry, there is a lot of help out there for you, including on here.

>hugs<
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »
Ok, got it.  But my GP is only here twice a week and does not listen.  I can type because even though I cannot hold a pen to write, in the years before "gap years" I worked to earn enough to do an intense [Pitmans] shorthand and typing course so I could take notes during lectures.  And as long as I can rest my wrists my fingers still know where to go on the keyboard.

But my GP does not listen and there is just her and the nurse.  Twice a week.  For a couple of hours.

Last time I saw my GP was for 3 months chronic 'scrips.  I wrote about it here.  But she did not listen.  I had had two major angioedema allergy attacks and needed more Prednisone and another two Epipens.  What did she give me?  A 'scrip for one pack of 30 x 20mg Prednison and one pack of 30 x 5mg Prednisone.  No new Epipen. 

OK - major angioedema allergy attack when I have to take 60mg day one, reducing by 5mg every two days - what is 30 x 20mg and 30 x 5gm going to do?  Work out the figures. 

No, I am not panicking but who the heck am I supposed to talk to? 

I think I have a social worker but I do not know her name or a number to call her.

And something is wrong because why am I forgetting things?  I know I keep falling but that is just me.  But this forgetting things is really worrying me.  I do not even remember if I ate anything yesterday.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is that Tikva has her food at the hours she has.  Because my computer is set to tell me as I never switch it off - it goes onto "Sleep" setting.

I am old.  And I am frightened.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 04:11:12 PM »
I just cannot cope any more.  I have no help, nobody, nothing.  What do I do?

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
This may be of no help at all, But I am 72  just and it sounds just like me, Yes I am ill with lots of things,
 But I still have to look after my disabled Son Ryan. So I have to remember lots of meds His and mine.
But my memory is not good,and I fall quite a lot . So far nothing too drastic and Ry is here so I have a button on my mobile I can press so he can get help.
Tell me to feed the dog By the time I have walked to the Kitchen I have forgotten why I am there.
I to keep worrying is it just old age  exhaustion or something worse.
I have come to the conclusion, That worrying is not helping, So I try not to think about it.
Except when I forget Ryans Meds that can be dangerous for him.
But hopefully things will not get any worse.  Have you anyone you can talk to,
We have a carer who comes in a couple of times a week who we can chat too which is nice.
Actually he has just gone into town to pick us up fish and chips, which will make a nice change for tea.
But it is a worry. The dreaded Memory problem.
Take care of yourself and little Dog.
Hugs Frances . >hugs<
You need to give love to receive it.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 05:15:49 PM »
....my GP is only here twice a week and does not listen.

But perhaps she could give you that name and telephone number of the social worker?

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Frances I think that it is four years of yes, sheer hell, with my beloved Pereg's epilepsy, and so many times a day that she had to have medication.  And because of her condition and her very high doses of medication, she would ask to go out for a pee maybe three times a night, and when when I had realised that she could not take any more I had to have her given peace. 

And then Tikva arrived.  An unwanted 3 week old puppy I had to bottle feed.  Such a stupid thing for someone my age but she needed me.  And I guess I needed her.  And I do love her so much.

I do have a private emergency service and [when I remember] wear the button as a pendent around my neck, but most times when a doctor comes they say "Hospital" and give me a note for the ER.  And you do not want to know what happens there.  NOTHING.  There is no out of hours medical service here.  Only the private one.

OK so Tikki is only - only? - a little dog but she is, to me, what a child is to others.  And I never carry my basic cell phone.  But I do have my computer set to chime when Tikva's food is due, just as it was set for Pereg's many medications.  I wish it would tell me to go EAT though but I have not set it for that, yet.  But I would like some of your fish and chips although we cannot get them here.  In any case it is now the Sabbath and the gates are closed so that is immaterial.

I do not know if you use a PC or a tablet or a smart phone.  I do not have either of the latter but my PC is now on Windows10 which has alarms and tells me what to do and when.  I also use Firefox as my browser and their Add-on ReminderFox also tells me what and when.  And I have no idea what I would do without them. 

But the thing is that without them I would not remember when to do what.

Frances, most days I do not know what day it is until I wake up my computer - I never switch it off, it is always set on "Sleep" setting when I go to bed so everything stays as set,  I do not know what I would do without it.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
....my GP is only here twice a week and does not listen.

But perhaps she could give you that name and telephone number of the social worker?

Kizzy, if she will not look at me or listen to me, how is she going to give me the name/number of my supposed social worker?

Let me give you an example.  My GP has my telephone number but when she demanded I go for a blood test, who did she telephoned?  My neighbour, who left this Health Fund about four years ago.  And as I think I have said, I do NOT have to go there for a blood test, the nurse HAS to come to me.

What is the point.  I pay for my Health Fund.  I pay for extra fees - dunno why.  I pay for a private emergency service.  And what do I get?  A free flu shot every year and a very small reduction on all my chronic meds.  Which costs me a fortune as I have to get my taxi driver to come from town, take the 'scrips, go back to town and bring them back.

Kizzy, this is the doctor who asked me why I was using an electric wheelchair because it was not in my notes when the written notes were transferred onto computers.  She had no idea that I had broken my neck and my lumber spine.

Because it is not in my notes.  Because it was not PUT in my notes.

This is the doctor who has no knowledge of the major rectal surgery I had to have and why I have to wear incontinence  stuff.

This is the doctor who has no knowledge of the hysterectomy I had, or the five tumours I have had removed from my left breast.

And you think she will know the name of my supposed social worker?

It is NOT in my notes.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 06:47:30 PM »
The only thing that is stopping me taking more than I should is little Tilva because who would look after her?

Actually with my neighbour away until Sunday at the earliest, who would know,  and who would care, but who would know to break in to take care of my bubby?

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »
Rosie
I am sorry that things are so difficult for you,  I get the impression your not in the UK and you mentioned the Sabbath, is there no one at the religious centre who you would feel able to approach or do they make you feel too bad.

We would care but since we are ether based I suppose we are no use that way.

take care and have a virtual hug
Monic

Frances

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 08:23:25 PM »
I have a MAC computer Rosie and it set on Firefox. Luckily Ryan is very computer literate so he sorts me out if I have a problem.
The only time either of us gets out is Hospitals, Which means carers arrangement etc. We are lucky we have one called David who is great. Ryan and I share him and have 9 hours a week. He hasn't long left and even popped to town to get our Fish and chips first. 
I would be lost without my puter, I order all our Meds and food. Actually our our Shopping is done via the PC. 
We are lucky in that we can ring our Doctor and he will always phone back within a days or so. If I say its urgent we get a call from one of the Doctors within a few minutes.  One of the partners even came by to do our flu jabs today and as we had never met him he is the new Partner. He took the time to have a chat.
I have been at that surgery over 40 years. So we know nearly all the staff.
Ryan has never had any other Doctors. I think we are very lucky.
A local charity arranges a befriender to visit an hour a week , Which is lovely. We just laugh all the time and she often stays several hours. She also pops in at other times with the paper or even some sweets (Yum). She is my age but very fit and walks miles.
Take care . 
You need to give love to receive it.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »
Rosie
I am sorry that things are so difficult for you,  I get the impression your not in the UK and you mentioned the Sabbath, is there no one at the religious centre who you would feel able to approach or do they make you feel too bad.

We would care but since we are ether based I suppose we are no use that way.

take care and have a virtual hug
Monic

Sorry - I thought everyone knew that I left England and came to Israel about 31 years ago.  Bad me.  But I live on a religious Moshav and there is no centre that I could contact.  In fact there are very  few people who speak  English on the Moshav - which not the same as a Kibbutz and although I speak fluent Ivrit [modern Hebrew] being hard of hearing it is difficult for me to communicate.   I am also an "outsider" as this is mostly a family Moshav even though I have been here for so long.  But I am happy here and even though my bungalow is rented I have a lifetime contract with no possible additional rent [and it is cheap enough as it is] and it is perfect for me.

Thank you for the hug.  I have to go to bed as it is coming up to 11pm - Tikki has been in her crate for nearly an hour.

Lila Tov - Good night.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:50:37 AM by Rosie »

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »
Rosie
Sorry I am hopeless at remembering people's details but it was good of you to clarify, I just wondered if there was a sort of support network related to the synagogue who would help you, in the same way I would suggest some folk seek assistance from churches if they can't access social services who are scary.

I hope you feel better in the morning and have a peaceful night
Take care
Monic

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 10:57:02 PM »
Rosie  >hugs<

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
Rosie
Sorry I am hopeless at remembering people's details but it was good of you to clarify, I just wondered if there was a sort of support network related to the synagogue who would help you, in the same way I would suggest some folk seek assistance from churches if they can't access social services who are scary.

I hope you feel better in the morning and have a peaceful night
Take care
Monic

Monic - do not worry - I have been around Ouch for a long time and having read my last post had to add things as it did not make sense.

It is impossible to describe how things are on this Moshav but we do not have a main help centre - it is only a small Moshav.  The main - sorry I forget my English - Welfare Department is about 15km away at the Local Authority offices and they are responsible for the whole Hof Ashqelon area.  It is like a centre in London being responsible for the whole Greater London area if you can imagine the area.  Only here it is small Moshavim or Kibbutzim in that area.  Not many families therefore not many social workers - maybe two? - for the whole area.

This is not a town, it has maybe 100 families, if that.  And we are outside town so do not come under their municipality.  We are under the Hof Ashqelon area.  When I first came to Israel 31 years ago I lived in Ashqelon, which at that time had 55,000 occupants.  It now has just under 200,00 - mostly Russian.  OK so I lost the apartment I bought just by the sea when I had the accident, and ended up here.

And I love it.  I love my bungalow.  I love the peace away from town.  And although I should not be using my computer on Shabbat I love the silence with only men going to and from Synagogue [no set times here] and then families walking around visiting as no vehicles are allowed as the gates are shut.

I cannot explain it but I feel safe here although our neighbours are chucking rockets daily.  But that is life here.  And I know it is going to to get really bad again.

But I honestly think that I need help because if I cannot get to my GP and have no idea who or where I can contact my so-called social worker, what do I do?