Author Topic: Blue badge rules  (Read 1160 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Blue badge rules
« on: October 17, 2016, 04:01:59 PM »
At a group today I was chatting to a blue badge holder and she was saying that she's been told that as a driver it's against the law to use a disabled space or pull up on double yellow lines to let a passenger out having given them a lift. Because you're not using the parking concessions for your own purposes but for someone else who could get out anywhere. I'd not heard of this, is this true? I said I'd find out for her because I thought someone here would know.

JLR2

Re: Blue badge rules
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
I found these rules for Blue Badge use in Scotland, as I understand them the second one would suggest dropping someone a badge holder was giving a lift to off could be seen as the  person being dropped off taking advantage of the concessions provided by the scheme.

''You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car.''

''It is a criminal offence to misuse a badge. This includes people other than the badge holder taking advantage of the parking concessions provided under the scheme''

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:22 PM »
It sounds like what she was told is right then, not something I'd known. Thanks.

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:50:45 PM »
 Fiz.     JLR2 is correct,  I hold a Blue Badge, and the booklet  issued in that respect states that the  concessions apply to the named holder only, and any misuse is an offence, which could lead to withdrawal of the badge. this applies throughout the UK.   Hope this helps, take care.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:14:58 AM »
Yes but I guess if a blue badge holder was dropping off someone who would then do some shopping for them or collect a prescription for them it would be fine to stop in a concessionary place because the purpose would be that they're dropping someone off for their own needs? If that's the case I doubt anyone has been in trouble for doing such a momentary stop, if the badge holder is the driver or in the car.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »
No, because the "able-bodied" person is taking advantage of the badge, the driver, not needing the space to get them closer to the pharmacy should park in a "normal" bay.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 12:56:12 AM »
A Police Officer or Traffic Warden, is entitled to request checking  a Blue Badge, to ascertain the identity of the registered disabled person ( that is why a photo is attached) if he/she, suspects someone other than the  proper holder, is as A Turtle says, taking unlawfull advantage, then an offence is committed.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »
I know it's not against the rules if the concessionary parking is used for an able bodied person to complete tasks for the disabled person as long as the disabled person is in the car.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:13:58 PM »
The best version of these events, my daughter picked me up as my car was feeling a little sick, exhaust pipe sagging.  We went via the shops and the pharmacy, I put my badge in her window as I popped in to get her prescription.  As I came out, a police officer was asking why my badge was on display and not hers.  He'd asked to see her badge to prove she was entitled to park in the bay so she pulled hers out to show him.

Naturally he was a bit bemused, but when I explained that as the person needing the shortened walk, I put my badge up.  He pondered it for a moment and said, he was amazed we knew the rules so well.
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:09:23 AM »
 A Turtle's last paragraph, confirms the correct procedure, in a very compact way.
I am sure our friend Fiz will understand it now.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
I did understand what you were saying but I've been told differently by the police and disability advisors myself. A driver with a disability may have to have a time limited journey due to medical needs and may need an assistant to perform a task quickly for them in order for the disabled person to get to their medical need/procedure/rest so if someone is performing a task solely for the disabled person then they can use the disabled person's concessions to complete their task so as to complete the journey in the necessary time for the disabled person to have treatment for example. That's how it's been explained to me. So as we've both been told different things by similar people, we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's not as if it affects me anyway, only friends who have blue badges.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:40:54 AM »
On this page http://www3.hants.gov.uk/bluebadge/bluebadge-use.htm it states

A blue badge holder must not allow other people to use the badge to do something on your behalf, such as shopping or collecting something for you, UNLESS YOU ARE TRAVELLING WITH THEM.

I felt the comment "I'm sure our friend fiz will understand it now" to be condescending to be honest.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 09:23:06 AM »
It is good to see people replying to the opening post because it brought my attention to new information. Namely

''You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car.''

Thank you guys.

Fiz,

I am not sure the page you linked to is up to date because there is no date on it.

For years I used to go with my sister when she was doing stuff for me so she could park her car near the shops. I dont think I would be happy to do that anymore. It is just not worth losing my badge so what I would have to do is make sure I get out of the car and have a mooch about in my wheelchair or maybe even go to the shops with my relative or friend. Hmmm I dont really like shopping though.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
Yes the website is up to date, last updated October 2016 so very up to date and I've just had this conversation with my friend with cancer secondaries who appealed their decision to not allow her a blue badge and has won, and it says this clearly in the booklet she received with the badge yesterday too. But on the gov.uk website on blue badges it asks you to type in your postcode so it can redirect you to your local authorities website for information on blue badge rules. That makes me assume each authority may have different rules because otherwise there would be no need to redirect you to your local site, it could all be on the gov.uk site. If that's true, then we are all right.