Author Topic: Tracheostomy advice  (Read 755 times)

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Tracheostomy advice
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:40:55 PM »
Hi OUchers!
I need some help.
My father was rushed into hospital last Monday after a large tumour was discovered in this trachea and he needed an emergency tracheostomy.  We have heard today that he will need to have his larynx removed as well as a large portion of his trachea to remove the tumour and this will hopefully be all the treatment he needs. 
However, he's going to have to get used to communicating differently as he will not longer be able to speak. We have bought him a Boogie board, which is an e writer, a bit like a modern etch a Sketch, and this is working better than a pen and paper. I'm interested in finding out about other communication aids, particularly phones etc and text to speech software.
If anyone has any advice on how these things work I would be grateful.  He has a speech therapist who will be working with him and will no doubt provide some useful bits and pieces, but as you all know, there is nothing better than personal experience or recommendation when it comes to this sort of thing.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Tracheostomy advice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »
 >hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
 >bighugs<

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
 >hugs<
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

SteveX

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 08:11:15 PM »
 >hugs<
Member of POMMAS

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
Wow, all these hugs from everyone!   Thank you so much.  The support from my Ouch friends really helps at times like this.  >tah<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »
Belated best wishes to your dad from me too, DD - has oesophageal speech been discussed with him (by those involved in his care?)