Author Topic: Women's Aid  (Read 1024 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Women's Aid
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »
I had a long discussion with Clinical Psychology regarding the abusive relationship I was stuck in between the ages of 15 and 25. It's taken me a very long time to admit to myself that reliving some experiences from that time is driving some of my SH, and today was the first time I've opened up to a professional about that particular aspect.

The psychologist has said that she will investigate what treatment options are available from the trust, and suggested that in the meantime, I contact Women's Aid to see what support they could offer so that I'm not left dealing with traumatic memories all on my own.

Has anyone here used Women's Aid services? What did you think of them, and what sort of experience did you have with them?

>bighugs<

>Editing to add: If mods feel this post would be more appropriate for 3am, then please feel free to move it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:48:49 PM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
Re: Women's Aid
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
NN, I have no experience of the types of things you have been through but I'm sure that now you have managed to start telling others of your experiences, you can start to somehow begin to move forward. 
Have some  >bighugs< to help you with your future plans.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 12:19:09 PM »
Thanks dd >hugs<

I was quite surprised that the psychologist suggested WA, as I tend to associate their services with people who are in the process of escaping domestic abuse, rather than people who are still struggling with the experience some years later. I suppose the only way to find out is to get in touch and see what they have to say.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »
Good luck NN  >bighugs< I hope you find what you are looking for and that WA can help you.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 03:20:33 PM »
I grew up a few doors away from a Women's Aid hostel and have always had the greatest respect for them.

If they can't help, then at least they may be networked in with other organisations.

By contrast, a friend and I found an organisation for adult survivors of child abuse (not quite sure the name) rather unhelpful once they discovered we both had other problems. 

I rather think it's pot-luck when you contact one of these organisations who, locally, is networked in with what other organisations, services and people; and also what courses, groups, therapies or services they do or don't provide locally either directly or in association with other groups or organisations.

Gosh, that's longwinded.  Anyway, I'd say if WA can't help, keep looking, even if it means finding a group of like-minded people to get together with without an organisation, e.g. via a notice on a board or whatever.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »
You have to start somewhere, NN!    >x-fingers<  that WA proves useful - and if not, as Sunny said, there are other organisations out there.  All the best  >hugs<

PS - the post is just fine here  >thumbsup<  It's not a general rule that every single post relating to emotional rather than physical pain has to be shunted to the members-only board - say it loud and proud  ;-)

(edited for typo)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:25:55 PM by KizzyKazaer »

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:54:33 PM »
Well done for taking the first step NN  >hugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
Thanks everyone >bighugs<

All of this feels empowering, but terrifying at the same time, and things wil have to get a lot worse before they get better. The only way to go is through it.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 10:10:12 PM »
I stayed in a WA refuge with my children. The organisation was abysmal and the employees were obviously in burn out phase beyond caring or communicating. There were a lovely couple of older lady volunteers who were lovely though and we're good to talk to. The city WA services have no aftercare for adults thought they have youth support workers who can do 1:1 and group work with affected children. Overall I think my WA in my city is atrocious but I've discovered that each location of WA are separate individual charities, individually funded and run and some are excellent and some are erm not so good. I think the problem in my city is lack of funding for the WA there, the city council are hot on supporting vulnerable children so fund the youth workers but aside from that there are only 2 full time employees covering 2 sites, they can't support residents, do outreach work with women considering leaving an abusive relationship and provide post abuse after care so the latter just doesn't exist.

I've heard very good things about London branches of WA, I think the councils prioritise funding and I'm sure that must be the case in other cities too. If your local WA don't provide aftercare or recovery support, I'd suggest approaching victim support who would know where you can be supported. Many Victim Support units run the freedom programme for post abuse survivors.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 08:25:04 AM »
Thank you, Fiz >hugs<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »
I might have shown you this at the time

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11449803/Domestic-violence-interactive-advert-How-you-can-heal-victims-bruises.html

Sorry about the ad at the beginning.

I'm not sure that the link really needs the warning triangle, it is about an innovative ad for Women's Aid