Author Topic: Changing ESA medical appointment.  (Read 916 times)

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
Changing ESA medical appointment.
« on: December 15, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »
A few days ago I was sent a letter for a Health Assessment. My appointment is 9th January 2017. I have a few letters to take along to the appointment but feel that I need more time to prepare for the appointment and to wait for the next letter from the Psychiatrist.  Who has changed the date of their Medical Assessment appointment? Has there been any problems with doing this or problems afterwards with benefits?
June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Mentally Wobbly.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: Changing ESA medical appointment.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 08:48:32 PM »
Hi DD

you can change the time of the appointment but if its just to wait for medical evidence I'm not sure I would bother.  Many people report the assessor does not look at any paperwork you bring to the assessment, other than that you may then be offered another appointment at 9am in a town further away when you need to leave home and travel during rush hour just to get there.
As for preparing - the terrible cynic in me say all you need to worry about is can someone take me there cos you want someone with you, as for preparing for the questions aren't you just prolonging the impending torture by delaying the medical.

other might have a more positive view but that's my tuppence sorry
Monic

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:03:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Monic. I am not sure who I am going to go with to the appointment. If someone has no relations with family or any close friends then who would go with them to appointments like this? Would talking to someone at Citizen's Advice help?

Mentally Wobbly.

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:07:10 PM »
Another appointment in another town would be a problem as I am already miles away from the main big city in the shire area. :/

Mentally Wobbly.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
Random suggestions as to who might be willing to go with you - just chuck in the bin if they don't help...

Someone from your nearest mental health activist group (not an 'official' or 'leader', just someone who's articulate and genned up on mental health politics).

Someone from a local place of worship such as meeting house, temple, church, synagogue, mosque etc.

Someone from a general local community group, e.g. neighbourhood forum, residents' group, neighbourhood watch etc.  (I.e. local 'busybodies'.  Some round here have fantastic life experience.)

A neighbour.

Someone who volunteers at a local charity/community centre or similar who could do with a few extra quid in their pocket.

Someone from a local group with a shared interest in something else that you could help them with.  To take a couple of random examples, if your issues are mental, is there someone who'd like to have a day out with you there as a free wheelchair pusher in exchange for coming with you to your appointment?  A day for you, a day for them.  Or they could do with help digging their allotment and you could do that in exchange.

Someone advertising what I'll call professional services locally.  No, I don't mean that as a euphemism for prostitution!  But someone who does physio or 11+ cramming or bookkeeping may have the sort of mind and experience of helping people who feel out of their depth even though they don't know about benefits.

Someone you regularly chat with at the bus stop or corner shop and have come to trust might help.

Anyway, even if none of my suggestions is of itself useful, perhaps they've given your mind a nudge?

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »
Hi
sorry but I find CAB and welfare rights workers can't attend the medical as they do not have the time and are not allowed to contribute anything.
if you can find a local advocacy service I would try there if you cant use any of the other suggestions
best wishes
Monic

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 04:42:04 PM »
Thank-You for suggestions, Sunny Clouds.

Mentally Wobbly.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
DD,

For what it is worth I tried not to spend too much time thinking about what I would say and do in the ESA assessment because I knew it would seem like my answers had been researched. Also the DWP Decision Maker does use the ESA Assessors report to help determine which ESA group you will be put in but it is not the only information they use.

>bighugs<

Dark_Divinity

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 09:45:54 PM »
It's strange and unnerving that it is now that I am being called in to answer to the Spanish Inquisition. I am waiting to see if I get a letter from my Psychiatrist about the ASD Assessment she talked about the last time I saw her. I have also got a gastroenterology appointment in last week of February. Sorry to be a miserable bitch. Thanks DWP for your letter just before Christmas. >_<   :( Managed to arrange for someone to go with me to the appointment. I have also e-mailed them a request for an audio recorded WCA Interview.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:44:15 AM by Dark_Divinity »

Mentally Wobbly.