Author Topic: Things are comming together  (Read 3150 times)

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Re: Things are comming together
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2017, 10:53:55 AM »
Hello Wheelie lad

Thankyou for the support one good thing in my favour is I am not frightend/shy to go up + talk to a perfect stranger

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2017, 04:47:20 PM »
Hello Kizzy Kazaer

Today 10/6/17 I got my equipment to get petitions filled for guide dogs for the blind to help local councils outlaw pavement parking (you know there is not enough space for a blind person plus their guide dog to get inbetween the car + the hedge//wall. I symphise because I can not get my wide buggy/mobility scooter through the narrow gap unless I scratch the side of the car + face arrest + a court case for willfull crimmanl dammage + that prospect do's not appeal to me, so I will lend my surrport (wish me luck)

Hey, you've become a right old campaigner dude  >biggrin<  All the best with this  >x-fingers< >star<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Hello Kizzy Kazaer

Yesterday 17/6/17 I had a very sucseffel day collecting petions against pavement parking. At first I was sat out side Sanesbury super market + the jobsworth manager from the customer care dept said we don't endorse any collecting here so will you leave the premise's + the car park so I went over the road to a well known discount store + got  about 300 signitures

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »
 >thumbsup<Well done Bule.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2017, 02:19:03 PM »
That's a superb result, Bulekingfisher. Good on ya!  >star< >thumbsup<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »
Hello Kizzy Kazaer

The date for me to talk at Hendenly Cricket ground has been postpoed until 18th October. I was very pleased with my collection of signtures/ names on the petition to stop pavement parking + I pointed out to people that the buggy is to wide to get in-between the parked car + the garden wall but as I can see I could find a garage slope to go down in to the road + go up another slope but I hope + pray I don't met a speed merchant coming round a blind corner + not see me

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2017, 03:07:34 PM »
Hello Bule.  I thought I'd drop by and say how brilliant I think it is that you're getting signatures in relation to pavement parking.

I raised the issue round here with the police and the council about five or six years ago, and they were dismissive.  The thing that was annoying me at the time was another sort of person that needs extra width - people that need someone to support and guide them.  That might be someone like my father with both physical mobility problems and cognitive problems because of his dementia, or quite a range of people with other problems. 

The council and police each did the "it's not my problem, it's theirs" thing, and after a while, I gave up.  But unbeknownst to me, others were also raising it again and again.  Recently, our local police caved in, probably finally prompted by various people publishing photos online of badly parked cars, and had a big clampdown on pavement parking.

Sadly, they haven't fixed the problem, but I reckon they've made a good start and you've inspired me to have a fresh bash at trying to deal with this problem where I live. 

huhn

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »
I did today again my sailing on my nose, the pavement was very uneven  and I had problems to see it. now I got a bandaged  foot, it is twisted .
why are pavements always  like ways full of land mines.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
It seems such a simple thing to keep pavements safe, doesn't it, but in so many places it doesn't happen.  Have a hug, Huhn.   >bighugs<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
Huhn  >bighugs<

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #55 on: Today at 12:39:26 AM »
In my locality, I have complained several times  about uneven pavements. the standard reply is, shortage of funds, avery expensive operation to relay ancient flag paving. When I suggested 'Macadam' over the flags, should not be too expensive,but would level the footpaths, the council reply, they cannot do that as the paving is 'listed'.
 'Come back Guye Fawkes, all is forgiven' !!!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: Today at 11:20:58 AM »
I was very pleased with my collection of signtures/ names on the petition to stop pavement parking

>biggrin< >thumbsup<

Sorry you have an injured foot, Huhn - and Wheelydad, the jobsworth attitude of your council deserves a huge  >doh<   I've heard of listed buildings but never 'listed paving'...

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #57 on: Today at 12:30:54 PM »
As an aside, may I object to the term jobsworth, particularly in relation to council employees?

It's usually used to describe an employee who tells us something we don't like or makes a decision we don't like.  However, those decisions are based on laws, bye-laws, and regulations made or approved by our elected representatives.  What we are in effect asking of the employee if we don't want them to stick to the rules is to overall our elected representatives, not to mention doing something that may well be literally more than their job's worth.

E.g. (common meme in tabloids), you pay to park in council parking for an hour and you're five minutes late back.  You say the warden's a jobsworth if he tickets you.  Now here's my take on it.  There's probably a CCTV camera which isn't just watching you, it's watching him. Is your desire to get something you didn't pay for (i.e. an extra five minutes), together with other people's desire to get what they didn't pay for, actually worth the warden's job?   Really?  And meanwhile do you really want unelected people making the decisions on how long you can park in the council carparks?  If so, why bother having councillors?  We might as well let those 'jobsworths' just make up all the rules as they go along.

In other words, I beg of all of you reading this, if you don't like what people at your council, or anywhere else, say or do as regards what you want to do or have done, consider very carefully whether (a) what you want doing is actually worth more than their job; and (b) whether it's really the people at the council, not your elected representatives, be they at council level, devolved assembly level, or parliament level, whose laws, regulations, rules etc. you disagree with and should be criticising and lobbying.

And when it comes to what is or isn't listed in the built environment, it's really difficult to put together legislation that protects much of what we value without leading to some problems along the way. 

In short, Wheelydad, if you don't like the decision on the paving, check the statutory position on how things are listed, check how far that paving does or doesn't meet the criteria, and lobby your elected representative, either individually or as part of a community group.  But please don't get annoyed with the department that repairs the pavements or with the councillor that tells you the paving is listed.  It's the wrong target.  Get it unlisted.

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #58 on: Today at 02:35:13 PM »
Sunny--- As a 93 year old, I have always directed my observations and/or complaints through my local elected councillor and replies come back the same way.  That is what he is there for.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #59 on: Today at 04:21:25 PM »
Wheelydad - my apologies for conflating two issues and for making assumptions.