Author Topic: PSNI to issue notices to cars obstructing pavements  (Read 833 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
PSNI to issue notices to cars obstructing pavements
« on: February 05, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38814237

Badly parked cars and vans are forcing pedestrians off the pavement and into danger on busy roads, charities and the PSNI have said.

A campaign has been launched to urge drivers to consider the needs of those with disabilities.

The PSNI will be issuing notices to badly parked cars.

The notices warn that if they repeatedly offend, drivers risk a fixed penalty notice for obstructing the pavement.

Guide Dogs NI has released You Gov research showing almost three quarters (72%) of people polled have been affected by vehicles parked on the pavement.

More than half (55%) said cars parked on pavements made it harder for them to walk along pavements and 45% said they have been forced into the road.

The back of a flyer police are distributing to badly parked cars.

People living with sight loss, older people or those using wheelchairs are at greater risk.

Ninety-one per cent of respondents living with sight loss who responded to a previous Guide Dogs survey said they were regularly obstructed by cares parked on the pavement.

Andrew Murdock from Guide Dogs NI, said: "Imagine how scary it is for people without sight to have to walk in the middle of the road because the pavement is blocked?"

Guide dog owner Diane Marks, from Belfast, struggles on a daily basis with the number of cars that park on the pavement.

Diane said: "Going out into the road is something that I have just had to get used to, but it can be a terrifying experience, I've had so many near misses with cars and I rely so heavily on being able to walk down the street safely.

Stephen Mathews, CEO of The Cedar Foundation said: "We hope that it will raise awareness among drivers across Northern Ireland to consider the impact that careless parking can have on people with mobility difficulties and others."

The PSNI's Insp Rosie Leech, PSNI said: "Think about how a blind person might feel when confronted by a situation where their guide dog cannot negotiate past a parked car and is forced to detour onto the carriageway where live traffic is running.

"This danger is further exacerbated as they have no way of knowing whether this car is the only impediment ahead."

I'm not sure how successful this initiative will be, but it's an important step in the right direction.

JLR2

Re: PSNI to issue notices to cars obstructing pavements
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
It might be a wee bit drastic but were the PSNI without warning or hanging around simply to haul a few cars off the pavement, charging the costs to the car owner, and word spread through the news either in local papers or on the TV but I'm sure many drivers would take heed.

Either that or rip the tyres of pavement blocking cars to shreds explaining to the car owner, now you've an excuse for not being able to park somewhere more suitable >devil< >biggrin<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »
Either that or rip the tyres of pavement blocking cars to shreds explaining to the car owner, now you've an excuse for not being able to park somewhere more suitable >devil< >biggrin<

>lol<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »
Hello N.N

While in my buggy struggling to get by I feel like scratching the side of the car but a materialist lawyer would have me for deliberate damage

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
Aye but if it could not be proven that any damage done to ''illegally'' parked cars was deliberate would the car owners insurers pay out for any subsequent repairs to paint work?   I suspect many insurers would inform any such claimants that as the claimant had parked where they chose to park they did so at their own risk and as there there was likely to be an increased risk of damage they, the insurers, were entitled to refuse such claims arising from damage caused by wheelchair users or for that matter mothers pushing prams because it could be shown/proven that in parking their vehicle where they did they had not taken reasonable care in parking their vehicle.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:08:35 PM by JLR2 »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
I have to say Bule that I feel the same.  And I do not use a wheelchair or buggy.  But I do have a large dog that I want to walk beside me.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »
I don't even have a dog of any size... and whenever I pass the inconsiderable corner-parkers on my estate, I feel like giving their bumpers a hefty boot.   At the very least.

We have a fair share of pavement parkers as well and I've seen the rubbish and recycling lorries unable to squeeze past (thankfully a rare occasion, but still - what if a fire engine or ambulance needed to get through?)

..though it appears the housing association are trying to do something about it as we all had letters asking us to vote on parking permits being issued, but the HA doesn't actually own the road so I suppose it would have to be the local council if anyone wanted to complain further...

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
Hello N.N

While in my buggy struggling to get by I feel like scratching the side of the car but a materialist lawyer would have me for deliberate damage

I've been similarly tempted, Bulekingfisher. There are several streets round here where people park fully on the pavement, which makes life very difficult for everyone, although, similar to the situation described by Kizzy, the streets are very narrow, which makes access difficult for service and emergency vehicles.

Belfast suffers from the same problems as other cities that ballooned during the C19th, namely infrastructure that wasn't built for cars. Public transport outside the city is poor, so commuters have no choice but to drive, and because the city is so small and dense, it's hard to design new transport systems without demolishing half of what's already there. One thing that is being done is that cycle ways into and around the town are being developed, so it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, this will have on congestion and on-street parking. Of course, the system is being designed for 2-wheeled push cycles - trikes, recumbents and sociable tandems barely get a mention!