Author Topic: What is next on Ouch Too?  (Read 738 times)

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
What is next on Ouch Too?
« on: February 14, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »
I had an OT assessment yesterday and while I did not expect much I did not realise how bad things are for disabled people in general. This along with some other stuff has made me wonder if I should create a private section of Ouch Too that is more of a meeting place for friends who support each other. I use the term friends loosely and am trying to describe a meeting place where we can come and go in a neighbourly way. It seems to me when I am on the main boards I always feel I should be doing more campaigning or helping more people by publicising Ouch Too.

If there is going to be a private board I need a some idea of what people think about the idea and suggestions about how it could work.

>tah<

huhn

Re: What is next on Ouch Too?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »
good  idea

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »
I know that I am not a regular poster here, coming and going as I do, but I like Ouch Too as it is.  And TBH I do not like the idea of a private section as it could create a clique of members and leave others feel out in the cold.

We are all disabled [or rather non-abled] in some way, be it physically, mentally, whatever non-abled we are, so does Ouch Too need a separate private section?  To me, it seems that everyone on Ouch Too supports everyone else, even if we just post  >hugs< or  >bighugs< - I know that if someone posts either of those in response to a post I make, it makes me feel not alone.

Sometimes I am not good at expressing myself but I hope the above actually makes sense.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

wheelydad

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:40:06 PM »
I think Rosie makes a valid point, and I also like 'Ouch Too' as it s. >rose<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:07:07 AM »
Good points, I was not thinking it through properly. things will stay as they are  :-)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »
I think it's horses for courses.  I found that when we had the area that was posters not lurkers only, and where you had, I think, to post something like half a dozen posts before you could post there, I felt more comfortable.  That, of course, didn't exclude regular posters at all, only voyeurs, as it were.  But I think that that's quite illusory, because anyone could join and post a few posts and join in the conversation there.

Without that, I've simply moved to posting that sort of stuff elsewhere, which is ok.  Basically, I now see this as mainly a site for disability politics and a few general shared disability issues and experiences rather than much in the way of support of individuals.

But different people want different things out of a site and that's fine.  Having moved so much of my posting and disability social contact elsewhere, I don't think I'd increase my posting if we now had an area where lurkers and one-off posters didn't go.

One thing I do feel strongly about is this - Sunshine, if you want to make changes, make sure it doesn't make too much extra work for you, only so much as you feel is justified by what you get out of it.  Only you can know what does justify how much work will go into whatever you do with this site.

Edited to clarify and because I'd got in a pickle with my double negatives.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:49:20 PM by Sunny Clouds »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
One thing I do feel strongly about is this - Sunshine, if you want to make changes, make sure it doesn't make too much extra work for you, only so much as you feel is justified by what you get out of it.  Only you can know what does justify how much work will go into whatever you do with this site.

Well said. >thumbsup<

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 01:07:05 PM »
thank you for reminding me to 'be good' :-)

>bighugs< >chocolate<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 08:09:03 PM »
Hello SunShineMeadows

Could the board be called MUTUAL SUPPORT (hugs)  >bighugs< to start it could be about reflexes + how disabled people have to re-arrange their lives to reach a set standard