Author Topic: vacuum cleaner rant  (Read 506 times)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
vacuum cleaner rant
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
I bought a new hoover a few years ago.  Advertised as pet friendly, able to pick up dog and cat hairs.  Well it does.  Heaps of them.  It is  Morphy Richards and I was very pleased with it.

Then, here comes the 'but', the fur stopped going round and round in the transparent container and then both top and bottom flexible hoses split and had to be bound with tape to keep the vacuum.  Right, time for a service I thought.  I took it into a repair shop who told me that I had to buy the spare parts myself as they do not keep spares for this model.  This was two months before Christmas.  To cut a long story short the belt had gone and they are not sold separately - you have to buy the whole head piece.  And the warehouse has none in stock and none of the spare parts will be available until mid March.  Yes March.

So I am having to manage without a vacuum cleaner for three months.  Unbelievable.

SteveX

Re: vacuum cleaner rant
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »
wow auntie, that is crazy!  march.. that's ridiculous. :(
Member of POMMAS

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 10:04:29 AM »
It could be worth looking at the eSpares website http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es470670/vacuum-cleaner-belt---pack-of-2?pageNumber=1&PartTypeId=1567&ManufacturerId=511

I agree with Steve having to wait until March is crazy.

Bran just started moulting I dont think we could manage without a vacuum cleaner for more than a week

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
It is even worse than the fact that Samantha too is always moulting.  I have the builders in replacing my rotten conservatory (lots of problems there).  They are making their fair share of dust too.  My house is such a mess it is driving me bonkers.  I hate it when there are things all over the place and not where they should be.

I presume that the parts are coming in a container from China.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator and Welfare Rights
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:20:07 PM »
Builders' dust and cat fluff - what a nightmare  >doh<  Have you considered treating yourself to a new vacuum cleaner..  I had one of those fancy 'pet friendly' machines for a few years (different brand)and it gave me so much trouble that I let Dad have it to clean his outbuildings with!   Replaced it with a standard 'Henry' and have never looked back...

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 07:38:44 PM »
I have a 'Charlie' as well.  But it smells.  And it is not as good with the pet hairs as the Morphy Richards one.  Luckily I am not amazingly house-proud.  But I do get to the point when I cannot stand it any longer.

Hmm.  Maybe I should go out and get a really cheap one for the interim.  But where do I store it.  And I am worried about losing my DLA when it is my turn to be investigated and so do not want to waste any money.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
Auntie, a rubber broom is useful for dealing with pet hair. We have this one and it's good quality:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N0EA3LI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488797407&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+broom

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:57:15 PM »
I can vouch for a rubber broom as well, and because you pull them towards you I park my chair where I can reach most of the carpet and pull the hairs and whatevers towards me.  Then reverse collecting what I could not reach in the first place until I can get it to where I keep a long-handled dustpan and brush to sweep it up and into the bin.

I also have a cheapo re-chargeable carpet sweeper which is also easy for me to use.

Actually the puppy does not shed but Lexi, who was long-coated did, and so did Pereg although she was short-coated, and the rubber broom was ideal for them.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate