Author Topic: Weighted blankets  (Read 794 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Weighted blankets
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
My GP has suggested a weighted blanket might help me with anxiety. I've looked online and almost died when I've seen the prices. I don't suppose anyone knows where to buy one cheaply?

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Weighted blankets
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »
I just googled weighted blankets and there seem to be some around the 30 area.

huhn

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:16 PM »
or I made my own, just knitted one out of very heavy  wool, but then you are have to spend around 50 euro

SteveX

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
My GP has suggested a weighted blanket might help me with anxiety. I've looked online and almost died when I've seen the prices. I don't suppose anyone knows where to buy one cheaply?

Sorry Fiz, but I have possibly a stupid question but humour me if you have the time.   How does he think a weighted blanket would help with anxiety?  (I'm not disagreeing, I'm just intrigued)
Member of POMMAS

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:29:03 PM »
I just googled weighted blankets and there seem to be some around the 30 area.

Can you post a link? I'm looking for a single blanket size or slightly smaller, not a lap blanket. But I'm sure there must be cheaper ones than I've seen.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:32:54 PM »

Sorry Fiz, but I have possibly a stupid question but humour me if you have the time.   How does he think a weighted blanket would help with anxiety?  (I'm not disagreeing, I'm just intrigued)

Weighted blankets are known to help people with very high anxiety levels by inducing a feeling of safety and security. A bit like swaddling a young baby reminds them of the safety of the snugness of the womb. Weighted blankets are commonly used in sensory rooms. My GP suggested it as they aid relaxation but not at the prices I've seen!

AndMac

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
There are instructions online on how to make these weighted blankets, I know.

I find holding a corner of the duvet = or my computer mouse if I sleep in my chair! - very soothing as I nod off. My sister explained that when we were babies, my mum - a children's nurse - would tuck a blanket in to our hands to help us to sleep. I think it's the primal urge of gripping on to Mum's fur/hair and is why teddies are so popular.

Whatever it is, it works for me.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 07:55:03 PM »
That's actually given me an idea

2dot

• Charter Member
  • Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »
Some people buy ball bearings and stitch them into the hem of a blanket or similar (this could be accomplished using iron-on hemming strips if you can't sew). Not sure how many you'd need to get a good weight, though.

Or Newitts.com currently has an Apollo weighted vest for under a tenner that might feel calming to wear (supposed to be for fitness training but doesn't have to be). My charity sometimes recommend weighted vests to parents of children with autism, as they like the deep pressure the vest provides and find it soothing.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
Makes me think - my daughter had her rabbit which was what they took into her when she had her first hip surgery and put into her hand when she came out.  She would not let go of it for weeks  but she was only a baby.

And when my idiot son fell through the synagogue roof the first thing he asked for when he came round [he was well smashed up after a 45' fall head first] was "doody".  His cot duvet that had been under his pillow for years,  Well, about 7 years by then.

Luckily my neighbour had my key so I was able to tell him what I wanted and I wanted it NOW at the hospital.

Why?  He said.  I have a dying child and you ask why?  But even though he had not touched it for years, as soon as he held it he relaxed.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
It's a real shame they're so expensive. I'm sure many people would find weighted blankets helpful.

Hurtyback

• Moderator 3am board
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
I think the same kind of thing is recommended for dogs with high levels of anxiety, so it seems to be a primal need.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 03:57:44 PM »
I'm planning on ordering a junior sized one tomorrow. I will let you know how useful I find it.