Author Topic: Vitamin B12.  (Read 3181 times)

Jockice

• Charter Member
Vitamin B12.
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
To cut a long story short, someone I know is convinced that all illnesses (certainly mine) are caused by vitamin B12 deficiency and can be cured with vitamin B12 injections. Anyone on here tried it? Does it work? Or have any effect at all? Just wondering. Because it is a very long story.

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Vitamin B12.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
To cut a long story short, someone I know is convinced that all illnesses (certainly mine) are caused by vitamin B12 deficiency and can be cured with vitamin B12 injections. Anyone on here tried it? Does it work? Or have any effect at all? Just wondering. Because it is a very long story.

Unless you have been diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficiency (that takes a blood test,) injecting B12 is very dangerous.
It is prescription only anyway.
 My wife has B12 deficiency, it took 18 months to diagnose.
(The injection is every three months.)

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »

Unless you have been diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficiency (that takes a blood test,) injecting B12 is very dangerous.
It is prescription only anyway.
 My wife has B12 deficiency, it took 18 months to diagnose.
(The injection is every three months.)

Thanks for that Lankou. To slightly lengthen the story, I've fallen out with a family member who has a deficiency and takes daily injections.  Now, although I have regular blood tests (in fact I'm having one tomorrow) and have also asked my GP and neurologist about my B12 levels to be told they were fine, this person still won't believe that I don't have a deficiency and just will not let it drop. I don't want to say any more as there is a slight possibility that the person concerned will read this but I've been through the whole 'miracle cure' bit before and it is extremely annoying.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:07:26 PM »
B12 deficiency seems to run in my partner's family, so if you hadn't had the blood tests then I might have suggested a test was worthwhile if a relative has a deficiency. But since you have had the test... Sorry you're having to deal with a miracle cure situation.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 03:40:29 AM »
B12 deficiency seems to run in my partner's family, so if you hadn't had the blood tests then I might have suggested a test was worthwhile if a relative has a deficiency. But since you have had the test... Sorry you're having to deal with a miracle cure situation.

Ta. You don't know the half of it though. Apparently doctors aren't allowed to test you for B12 deficiency properly or tell you if you have it because Big Pharma won't let them. And someone who has read a few things about it on Google knows more than the entire medical profession anyway.

Now, do I believe that or do I believe my neurologist when I asked him about it on my last visit and he witheringly replied: "We do look at these things you know."?

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
Ask for copies of your last 2 or 3 blood tests. I'm always given a copy of each test I have, you're entitled to see them. That way you will see if your B12 levels are within the normal range. 

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
Ask for copies of your last 2 or 3 blood tests. I'm always given a copy of each test I have, you're entitled to see them. That way you will see if your B12 levels are within the normal range.

I have. And they are. But this other person still insists I have some sort of hidden deficiency.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »
Have you tried carrots? I've heard they're really good as a cure for...  well,  pretty much everything. I know someone who died and then recovered after someone waved a carrot at him. Big pharma don't want you to know about this though.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
Normally the only people who need regular B12 injections are vegetarians and vegans - those who do not eat meat.

Sublingual B12 tablets, which can be bought OTC and cost pennies, are useful for people who abuse alcohol as that strips the body of B12 [among other vitamins].
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »
Normally the only people who need regular B12 injections are vegetarians and vegans - those who do not eat meat.

Sublingual B12 tablets, which can be bought OTC and cost pennies, are useful for people who abuse alcohol as that strips the body of B12 [among other vitamins].

I don't eat meat often but I'm not totally veggie and I rarely drink (I had a g&t at the weekend which I think is the first alcohol I've had this year). But apparently because I drink energy drinks (up to...ooh...one a day) this has messed up my readings and made my symptoms worse. That's symptoms that existed decades before energy drinks had even been invented.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »

B12 injections are prescription only no GP is going to issue a B12 prescription just because someone is a vegetarian or vegan.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »

B12 injections are prescription only no GP is going to issue a B12 prescription just because someone is a vegetarian or vegan.

People can (and do) buy them from abroad where they are more readily available.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
If people are stupid enough to buy B12 injections off of the internet given you really do need a blood test to check if a B12 injection is needed, that really is their funeral. (Possibly literally.)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »

I have. And they are. But this other person still insists I have some sort of hidden deficiency.

Well if you know your B12 levels are normal I'd totally ignore the person telling you otherwise. Opinions only belong to the people who speak them, they don't belong to people who have to hear them.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »

Well if you know your B12 levels are normal I'd totally ignore the person telling you otherwise. Opinions only belong to the people who speak them, they don't belong to people who have to hear them.

I've tried to for the last two years. But we're not talking at all now which makes it much easier to ignore.