Author Topic: Vitamin B12.  (Read 2540 times)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Vitamin B12.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
Well if you type it here, I'd actually read it, but I suspect it might wear you out. 

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
Whenever anyone claims they can cure me, I always think of this. http://batsgirl.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/gorilla-in-your-house.html

SteveX

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 08:15:04 PM »
Whenever anyone claims they can cure me, I always think of this. http://batsgirl.blogspot.co.uk/2008/04/gorilla-in-your-house.html

haha that's good!
Member of POMMAS

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 08:22:55 PM »
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 12:50:59 PM »

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »

AitchEss

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »
Hi Jockice
I've just finished the 6 B12 injections you have when you're first diagnosed as B12 deficient, next one is in July.   They are definitely not a cure all, and if your B12 levels are normal then don't go and buy any from the chemist;  you could do yourself harm.
Aitch

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 11:48:49 AM »
Hi Jockice
I've just finished the 6 B12 injections you have when you're first diagnosed as B12 deficient, next one is in July.   They are definitely not a cure all, and if your B12 levels are normal then don't go and buy any from the chemist;  you could do yourself harm.
Aitch

Thanks Aitch, I have no intention of going near the stuff again.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »
But have you checked your gorilla's B12 levels?  Ah you have.  What about his pub, party and pleasure levels?  You must keep those up.   And I don't remember whether you use it, but some people do find that judicious quantities of alcohol help.   (They don't stop you falling over, they just give you an excuse for doing it.)

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
But have you checked your gorilla's B12 levels?  Ah you have.  What about his pub, party and pleasure levels?  You must keep those up.   And I don't remember whether you use it, but some people do find that judicious quantities of alcohol help.   (They don't stop you falling over, they just give you an excuse for doing it.)

I'm crap at drinking. Really really crap. So I don't really bother with it. And it doesn't contain any B12.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »
I tried increasing my alcohol intake from very low on the basis that I thought a couple of drinks a week would relax me, only to realise after some time that I never finished a glass and couldn't look at one without thinking I'd rather save the calories for chocolate.  Still, they're both psychotropic substances.

But there must be a miracle cure out there for you.  I think you should experiment.  Maybe curry?  Loud music?  Different colour crutches?  Nope, got it, there must be some religious group in your area desperate to heal people.  It probably won't fix you but might fix some of their psychological needs.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
But there must be a miracle cure out there for you.  I think you should experiment.  Maybe curry?  Loud music?  Different colour crutches?  Nope, got it, there must be some religious group in your area desperate to heal people.  It probably won't fix you but might fix some of their psychological needs.

>star< >thumbsup<

On the edge

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
My partner was recently diagnosed with this after she kept collapsing. She was rushed to the hospital for tests and blood transfusions as a result of being diagnosed with deficient B12.  The A&E was another horror story !  She could have died actually, as they confused B12 deficiency with cancer.  The first 3 weeks after she had B12 injections 5 times a week, after it is once every 3 months, depends on blood testing.  It affects all the muscles, including her eyesight (The first clue we got was from eye issues which resembled migraine).  We were lucky I insisted on the nurse contacting her doctor immediately after she went for a routine blood test for diabetes, her Dr left the surgery and came to our home and had an ambulance outside, which shows I was right in demanding the Dr saw the blood test results immediately. The annoyance was the stand-up row I had with the Nurse and receptionist who kept telling us to come back in 3 weeks time, my partner was unable to stand in the nurse's station, and we had to take a taxi back home.  B12 deficiency is a serious issue.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
That sounds really scary.  I'm glad you insisted on your partner being seen urgently.

I was near-vegan (just the odd bit of honey) for many years and I had a fortified yeast extract practically every day and later I started taking vitamin pills.  A friend of mine got vitamin B1 deficiency and developed symptoms like ataxia.  They picked up the diagnosis then dismissed it without doing tests because in this country you usually only get it if you're alcoholic, and it was only after it got much worse and she developed irreversible dementia that they actually tested.  It never occurred to them to ask what she ate.  It was a diet based round polished white rice.

I had a vitamin A deficiency and it wasn't until I researched it that I discovered that you can get it even if you have a vitamin A rich diet if your pancreas doesn't work properly.  Both the eye clinic and the neurology clinic missed that and didn't check out my pancreas.

I really wish we had better education on these things, and I can see how easy it is for people who've had a scary encounter or near encounter to think maybe it's the cause of someone else's problem.  I know it must be a pain in the neck for doctors when we research things and self-diagnose, but maybe better education in the first place, and not just the general 'eat a healthy diet' type stuff, would pay off in terms of prevention and in terms of spotting the problems quickly so we can seek help and give all relevant information to health professionals quickly.

Meanwhile, I've found how to cure Jockice.  I reckon if we each think up fifty possible causes and cures and he tries all of them, we'll find a way of fixing it.  I'll start with cat deficiency - it would explain everything if he had insufficient cats.  Adopting about twenty might do it, but he might have to go up to forty or fifty.  If they don't cure him, at least they'll give him something soft to land on when he falls over them.  Oh, and a tip from a repeat cat-owner - always get multicolour cats - they contrast well against various colour floors.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 06:02:47 AM »
That sounds really scary.  I'm glad you insisted on your partner being seen urgently.

I was near-vegan (just the odd bit of honey) for many years and I had a fortified yeast extract practically every day and later I started taking vitamin pills.  A friend of mine got vitamin B1 deficiency and developed symptoms like ataxia.  They picked up the diagnosis then dismissed it without doing tests because in this country you usually only get it if you're alcoholic, and it was only after it got much worse and she developed irreversible dementia that they actually tested.  It never occurred to them to ask what she ate.  It was a diet based round polished white rice.

I had a vitamin A deficiency and it wasn't until I researched it that I discovered that you can get it even if you have a vitamin A rich diet if your pancreas doesn't work properly.  Both the eye clinic and the neurology clinic missed that and didn't check out my pancreas.

I really wish we had better education on these things, and I can see how easy it is for people who've had a scary encounter or near encounter to think maybe it's the cause of someone else's problem.  I know it must be a pain in the neck for doctors when we research things and self-diagnose, but maybe better education in the first place, and not just the general 'eat a healthy diet' type stuff, would pay off in terms of prevention and in terms of spotting the problems quickly so we can seek help and give all relevant information to health professionals quickly.

Meanwhile, I've found how to cure Jockice.  I reckon if we each think up fifty possible causes and cures and he tries all of them, we'll find a way of fixing it.  I'll start with cat deficiency - it would explain everything if he had insufficient cats.  Adopting about twenty might do it, but he might have to go up to forty or fifty.  If they don't cure him, at least they'll give him something soft to land on when he falls over them.  Oh, and a tip from a repeat cat-owner - always get multicolour cats - they contrast well against various colour floors.

Indeed. Doctors do get things wrong sometimes. They've done it with me before. But you know, I'd still rather trust them than someone with no medical qualifications at all (another thing this person did was try to get me to tell my doctors I was taking B12. As if the doctors were going to say: "Drat! He's found us out, thanks to this caring person with no medical qualifications at all. Now he'll be miraculously cured and we won't be able to take the credit.")

One cat is enough thanks. In fact more than.