Author Topic: Vitamin B12.  (Read 2164 times)

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Vitamin B12.
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 07:34:36 AM »
You could try to make some money out of the situation by charging people:

10 for each time they claim vitamins  or yoga will cure you

50 for each time they claim a gluten-free diet will cure you

100 for each time they claim 'a positive attitude will go a long way towards curing you'

500 for each time they claim stopping your medication will cure you

1000 if they claim 'it's all in your head'

(above idea shamelessly stolen from elsewhere on the net).

Or, you could just start singing loudly every time someone claims they can cure you. If your voice is as bad as mine, they'll probably pay you to stop.

>Edited to add missing word.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:58:22 PM by NeuralgicNeurotic »

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re: Vitamin B12.
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
"Doctors do get things wrong sometimes. They've done it with me before. But you know, I'd still rather trust them than someone with no medical qualifications at all"

I tried to explain to my doctor once how much I trust him and he got the wrong end of the stick.  I told him I could get any meds I wanted online but that what I couldn't get elsewhere was professional advice I could trust.  He wasn't paying attention and the next time I saw him appeared to think I just go shopping online for as much as I want of whatever I want and ignore his advice, presumably having just focussed on the 'I can get online' bit not the 'it's your advice I value' bit.  I tried to explain again that that was the opposite of what I was saying, but he may not have liked how I expressed myself because I tried to explain that I know that for the sort of problems I have, it's not a question of a simple, perfect solution, but that on balance, over the years, taking his advice has paid off.  If he and I weren't both from religious backgrounds where people don't gamble, maybe I could have expressed it in betting odds or something.

So when I found out about the vitamin A thing, I didn't just go off and do my own thing, I phoned him, explained the situation (which he didn't know about because I went direct to the eye clinic about my eye problems and evidently they hadn't told him anything about the night-blindness) and asked him whether what I thought might be happening was possible and he advised me accordingly.  But it was phrased as a question and did refer to research, so if he'd said I was barking up the wrong tree I'd have been inclined to trust him, albeit not without a polite argument to ensure he'd followed my reasoning.  Since I try not to waste his time, he's tolerant of this sort of thing.

Incidentally, as regards what patients know, (and off on a tangent) have you heard of the project whereby some researchers into prescription drugs have now started doing research based on people's searches.  I saw a TED talk on it.  The speaker said that initially they'd had difficulty getting the info they wanted but that Microsoft is helping. 

You see, when they test a new drug for safety, they usually test using it on its own, and there's a limit to how many side-effects they test for, but what they can pick up on from searches is whether lots and lots of people search for "drug-A drug-B symptom-A" or "drug A symptom-A symptom-B".   Then they find out other things worth researching.